Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Tired

I'm Tired

Just need to vent.
    Tired of so many things, being stuck in California, yeah I know I can leave, but I'd be single and quite honestly don't have the guts to do it.
    Tired of feeling alone
    Tired of my photo business not going anywhere
    Tired of UK basketball and the sh**show it's turned into
    Tired of being almost 60 and only travel to visit her family in GA
    Tired of going on hikes alone, cause she's unable to physically
    Tired of existing and not living
    Tired of being tired
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Fab Five

Re: I'm Tired

Coastie, we all go through down periods and negative evaluations of our lives. That part is normal, but dwelling on it is not healthy. Consider some new contacts with whom you can engage separate from family and former professional acquaintances.There ought to be a good hiking group somewhere close around you. Same for photography groups. They are easy to find in facebook groups.

Have you thought of sending in some of your work to one of the SF television stations? There is a guy here in BHAM who sends in some of his photos of weather events or landmarks on a sunny or rainy day to the weather guy. He in turn proudly displays them on TV. He gives credit to the photographer. The guy gets a virtually free advertisement for giving up some proprietary property. I used to follow the guy on facebook and he seemed to get a lot of attention.

Feel free to reach out sometime.And if you are going to GA give me a shout. North GA is close enough. We can meet somewhere and take the inlaws out of the picture.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

I'm Tired

Hang in there buddy. The last few years have been hard. But keep your head up. We are here as best we can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Tired

I can tell you all about being alone, it’s horrible. “you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone”

Hold her hand longer, and hug her a little bit tighter, and above all just sit and talk to her, I mean really talk to her.

Of course I know nothing of your situation, but I just lost my “light” and I battle through every day trying to find my way alone. I just flew out to spend time with my daughter and her family, and found it bitter/sweet. I loved seeing her and the grandchildren, and my SIL…. but I was still alone.

Last edited by blueboss; 05-31-2023 at 07:10 AM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Coastie.......please check your PM's.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Coastie, we all go through down periods and negative evaluations of our lives. That part is normal, but dwelling on it is not healthy. Consider some new contacts with whom you can engage separate from family and former professional acquaintances.There ought to be a good hiking group somewhere close around you. Same for photography groups. They are easy to find in facebook groups.
    All are great suggestions, but want to encourage Coastie especially on these. Reddit might offer another avenue to find hiking or photography buddies. Even hanging out with them in person once a week, or a couple of times a month can be a nice invigorating event.

I have a couple of nice watches--given to me, not bought myself--but I usually wear my Garmin watch instead with a watch face I installed that allows me to put the next "event" on it. Right now I'm looking at the Ozan Wine Run 5k in red letters that my watch tells me is in 24 days in green font. It is a nice thing to look forward to. I always put something pleasant on there, rather than business related, so that when I glance at it, there's something that makes me smile or gets me excited. I know it's a stupid suggestion, but maybe wearing a watch that has that, and joining one of these groups, and putting the next hike, or next photography session on it, can sort of give you some "pep" on down days.

Any of us in that general age range, or who have passed it, have felt what you're feeling. You are not alone.

I'm Tired

Again, dumb suggestion, but here's what I look at numerous times a day. Makes me happy to see.

Rupp's Runt

My uncle (in-law) was in a similar spot in life. Age range that Darrell mentioned. He had been divorced a few years, then reached a time where his parents were older and was helping with them. They passed fairly close to each other (less than a year).

He found an "Outdoor Adventure" group of people his age on Facebook. He really enjoyed that and met some friends out of it. Even his current girlfriend if I am not mistaken.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate each of them. I'm going to look for some meetup groups locally. The photo biz around here is very much who you know. There seems to be cliques of nature / landscape photographers that I'm not a part of for who knows why. Im friends w a few on FB but they never offer locations/ideas. Plus as far as I can tell, I'm one of 3 that actually have websites and sell products.

Suncat, I have no messages in my inbox.

Darrell, I had to smile when I saw the picture of the watch. I haven't worn a watch for years, and was looking at these type watches to suggest for Father's Day. Not holding my breath, since my daughter sent me a pair of socks from Etsy at Christmas, but they were a small kids sock and she's never returned/sent new ones

Blueboss, Im sorry you're having to go through that.

Mick, I'm always around somewhere. Getting my 2nd new knee the end of June, and I'm just now getting to the point I want to go try my newest knee.

Rupp's Runt

Coastie-

I had unknowingly reached my sending limit. I deleted a few prior messages, so my message appears to have gone through this time.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    I'm going to look for some meetup groups locally.
    Good luck, I hope you find something. Let us know if you do. I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Hate to hear it man. You’re a great photographer. It’s been a very very difficult few years in our country for mental health for whatever reason and I feel it as well. You’re not alone in the struggle and we will all find our way out of it. I’m at that point I’m bored with the job, losing the last kid at home in a year and I’ve basically devoted my life to them, and I can’t even think of a hobby I want to get back into…so I feel kind of lost right now. Weird considering I’ve always been able to be happy doing anything. Heck we may just pick up and start fresh somewhere even though I have a great job and home, just feel like I’m in a rut and have always been a mover and shaker.
    Go Cats!

I'm Tired

Padukacat, relocate to Birmingham. Pretty town, and we need more good Kentucky fans here.

Jesus Christ fills all those voids if we seek Him first. And offers the great hope of reunification we tend to forget about because of the self doubt and lack of faith common to us all at times.

But believe me, I’m as guilty of overlooking that in dark times as the next guy. Which makes it no less true.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-03-2023 at 09:48 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    losing the last kid at home in a year and I’ve basically devoted my life to them
    Don't look ahead. Enjoy every single moment of her senior year.

Just need to vent.
    Tired of so many things, being stuck in California, yeah I know I can leave, but I'd be single and quite honestly don't have the guts to do it.
    Tired of feeling alone
    Tired of my photo business not going anywhere
    Tired of UK basketball and the sh**show it's turned into
    Tired of being almost 60 and only travel to visit her family in GA
    Tired of going on hikes alone, cause she's unable to physically
    Tired of existing and not living
    Tired of being tired
    I used to let UK sports get to me. I no longer do. It is important but not that important.

Now it's family and job. Those are what matter, and where I focus

It is good to reach out to friends, which you have done. A ything I can do, ask!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Coastie, what flavor camera are you currently using?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Coastie, what flavor camera are you currently using?
    End of last year I switched complete systems from Olympus to Sony. I now use the Sony a7 rV.

What’s the link to your website coastie I can’t get the one In your signature to work? I remember that gateway to yosemite pic I meant to get a copy of that and never did.
    Go Cats!

Rupp's Runt

What’s the link to your website coastie I can’t get the one In your signature to work? I remember that gateway to yosemite pic I meant to get a copy of that and never did.
    https://rogerelliottphoto.com/

End of last year I switched complete systems from Olympus to Sony. I now use the Sony a7 rV.
    Well, there's your problem.

If you were a "real" photographer and used a "real" camera (a Canon) I was going to hook you up with an online community that rivals this one for knowledge, decorum, occasional humor, and professionalism.

Matter of fact I might have shared their link with you back when you were just starting out, but if I didn't, I will now and maybe they can talk some sense into you.

When you click the link, if you do, then scroll down a good bit and you will see an internal link to a Sony forum. They are an accommodating bunch

Photography on the Net
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm Tired

I understand. I live in Spokane by myself. I’ve been here 4 years and I am alone. I immerse myself in my work which is another issue - and sometimes I feel like no one gets it. I agree about being tired of things.
    I wish there was something I could say to make this better. I know if I were not able to do something physically I’d never hold bs k my partner from doing it. Maybe there is a group or a couple of people who enjoy hiking that you could go with ? Maybe look on Facebook ( if you have that). It could be a great way for you to do something you enjoy without being alone.
    I do hope you know that as long as you have this great group of people in this forum ( me not included )you are never alone.

I'm keeping Receipts!!

I’m at that point I’m bored with the job, losing the last kid at home in a year and I’ve basically devoted my life to them, and I can’t even think of a hobby I want to get back into…so I feel kind of lost right now. Weird considering I’ve always been able to be happy doing anything. Heck we may just pick up and start fresh somewhere even though I have a great job and home, just feel like I’m in a rut and have always been a mover and shaker.
    I hardly ever make it over to this board but glad I did today and saw this thread. Really sorry to hear what Coastie is going through.

But, your comment about finding hobbies you enjoy got me thinking. I have started and enjoyed more hobbies in the last few years than I ever have in my life.
    I told Mick a few years ago that my wife was wanting to take up cycling/riding. He told me to go buy a bike and I did. I absolutely LOVE it. Not only is it great exercise but just getting out a few times a week and being in nature is so helpful. And you don't have to go all out on a $1k bike and gear. You can seriously just get a hybrid road bike that works for roads and trails. I am lucky as we have an awesome beach ride super close by. But anywhere with a proper street or trail will do. We do it less for the "1 mile more every trip" thing and more for the getting outside thing. But we love it.

I also bought a wave runner a couple of years ago and I cannot tell you how much time we spend on it. It has been worth every single penny I paid for it and more. You shouldn't be far from Kentucky Lake or Lake Berkely at all.

Last thing: My wife and I got back a few weeks ago from a Yoga Wellness Retreat (ya, We are California weirdos) that was amazing. I read a book while there that I really enjoyed that might be pertinent for you right now. It is a short, easy read.

It is called Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and healthy life

Not all of it may apply to you. Maybe none of it. But I have applied a few things in it and have picked up a few new hobbies that I enjoy.

One of them (as recommended from the book) is that I start every morning gardening now. And then sit and have a cup of green tea. Sounds dumb I know.
    I have always liked gardening ok. But, I did it just to try it since it was such an important part of the book. And now I kind of get it.
    It isn't about gardening really at all. It is about disconnecting with distractions and being in touch with nature. Getting away from phones/tv/tablets/computers even for just 20 minutes in the morning. It is a great mental and spiritual exercise.
    I have a hard time just sitting and meditating and being quiet. I am a go getter like you. But actively doing something so simple really allows me to. Something about it just works. It is the only time that day or night I find my mind just turned off.

We run our own logistics business now and days are long and stressful. But doing that is a perfect way to start the day. And I have found it has really energized me the past few weeks.

Anyways, enough of that.

Here is the book if anyone is interested. It is simple and a very easy read: https://www.amazon.com/Ikigai-Japane.../dp/0143130722
    Last edited by ukpumacat; 06-05-2023 at 01:54 PM.
    ~Puma~

Thanks for the suggestions on hobbies, I’ve ordered your stupid book you California weirdo lol. Look forward to reading it. Honestly I used to be more in touch with the spiritual side of things and like kingcat suggested I may just need some Jesus too. Getting old sucks and it’s too easy to spiral into bad habits and get complacent and this is the first time in my life I’ve had to really think about it since we will be empty nesters in a year.
    Go Cats!

Hey Roger, I tried to order a print off the website and it said there was no payment method set up for my state…Kentucky. Let me know what I need to do.
    Go Cats!

Thanks for the suggestions on hobbies, I’ve ordered your stupid book you California weirdo lol. Look forward to reading it. Honestly I used to be more in touch with the spiritual side of things and like kingcat suggested I may just need some Jesus too. Getting old sucks and it’s too easy to spiral into bad habits and get complacent and this is the first time in my life I’ve had to really think about it since we will be empty nesters in a year.
    Haha. For sure!

And just to be clear, that book isn't a spiritual one at all. It is just about the 5 communities in the world that have the longest life spans. And what they have in common. It is about food, hobbies, community, etc.
    ~Puma~

Hey Roger, I tried to order a print off the website and it said there was no payment method set up for my state…Kentucky. Let me know what I need to do.
    Thank you! I'll check w my website admin and let you know

Coastie,

This pic is amazing.

D4Y-lDSA.jpg
    ~Puma~

Dan, I hear ya! I almost went back to Canon which is what I started with, but that new Sony a7rv was pretty much everything I'll ever need in a camera for the rest of my life. 61mp really allows me to create some cool landscapes and also lets me stand back from nature/animals then really get in close to them in post. I had forgotten the POTN website. Thanks for the reminder of it. We need to start a new thread and just post pictures like we use to! I'm sure it will drive Citizen crazy w the backend of the website.

KentuckyWildcat thanks for posting my website!

Paduka, I need to talk to Citizen and figure out why my signature doesn't link. I thought it use to. I also have an Etsy shop which is essentially the same as my website for the moment. I'm working on converting those images to downloadable files for people to purchase at a much cheaper cost and allow them to print as they wish up to certain size. Saves me the expense of sharing $$ w Etsy and going through my printer/shipping etc. Not there yet, but eventually.

Niki, I don't know how you do it. You've picked yourself up from losing Ron and continued to make a life for yourself. We're all so proud of you. I'm looking for some hiking groups and some photo groups local to me. This area is kinda weird in regard to photo groups. I'm not a "local" though Ive lived here almost 18 years and I have a different mindset than many. Many people don't consider photography as "art" which is an argument that's been happening since its inception a century ago! I don't get a lot of warm fuzzies or invites to local art shows.

Puma, man, thanks for all that. I've also ordered the book and it'll be here tomorrow. Ive actually been kinda gardening the last few years. I don't have much rhyme or reason to it, but I do alright. Growing both flowers/sunflowers and zucchini and tomatoes, plus I now have about a dozen strawberry plants. Attachment 10594

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Coastie,

This pic is amazing.

D4Y-lDSA.jpg
    Thank you Puma! That's known as the "Gates of the Valley" in Yosemite. Ansel made it famous. My image actually got Honorable Mention in a competition a couple years ago w Outdoor Photographer. Got printed in a book for it even. I have a spot on my website, it's not open to public view just yet, but I've done my own black and white renditions of Yosemite.