Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Glock Switch Back In The News/Handgun Conversion

Glock Switch Back In The News/Handgun Conversion

The conversion piece “Glock Switch” turning a semi into an automatic is all over the local news today.

Ky has no automatic law in place and rely on the federal law to sort out those cases. Indiana on the other hand, the governor signed a bill today outlawing conversions in IN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Glock Switch Back In The News/Handgun Conversion

The only kentucky gun law more restrictive than federal law of which I am aware is on armor piercing ammo.

That being said I would be really careful around anything full auto/class iii. Maybe you get prosecuted, maybe you don't, but the on paper penalties for such things are pretty serious.

Those laws are actually based in the NFA of 1934, which had more to with taxation than it does with gun control, but it forms the basis of those distinctions. For example short barrel rifles and shotguns are legal under federal law, as are class III weapons, as long as the taxes are all paid. Of course that comes with registration and waiting forever for transfers, etc., but the basis of it is taxation.

Personally I go with most modern militaries, who do not provide full auto options to other than machine gunners and gun crews. You may in an infantry unit have a single automatic weapon designed for suppression fire as much as anything, but they dont' want soldiers running through full mags in 3 seconds and hitting nothing. It's poor use of the weapon.

It's one reason I have no issue with restrictions on those weapons. They aren't even all that useful for defense against a fascist government, they just aren't very useful weapons of war for the average person. For someone with skill at them, and as part of a concerted unit yes, but not so much for an individual.

But back to the topic at hand, the glock switch and some other mods are not "illegal" by themselves, but become illegal if ever applied to a weapon. For example, you can go buy a short barrel for a rifle or shotgun, and that is legal to own. If you put it on a gun however you better pay the $200 fee and get your Form 1 approved.

The part may be "legal", but the conversion is already illegal at federal law and a felony. Don't do it.

I appreciate firearms, but I will not get near the line on that one. I don't need any felonies, nor do I need such a thing for my own protection even against zombies.

I may apply for a silencer, but only completely legally. They can actually be ideal for something like home defense, and not destroying your hearing. There are also some uses for a SBS or SBR due to size and weight issues, but still looking for a use for full auto other than fun or as part of a military unit.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 04-20-2023 at 06:57 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Thought the main topic was the brace for a MP/SP style PC semi auto pistol/carbine?

The brace thing is a tempest in a teapot. It is based on trying to prevent things from being short barreled rifles or shotguns instead of pistols, but that has a couple of problems.

1. The ATF let that genie out of the bottle awhile ago, and now there are numerous "pistols" that are for the world in every way a short barreled rifle. The Draco AK series and its copies, dozens of AR platform "pistols", and many others. What's the point at this point?

2. Does it really matter? The SbS and SBR rules were put in place in 1934, when a "pistol" or "revovler" was far less capable than today. The pistol standard in the US was the 1911, which was a 7 round 45 ACP. Revolvers were typically 6, or 9 in small calibers like 22.

Now pistols are 17 or more, and are basically just as capable as a rifle. There's really no reason to worry about having a short barreled rifle versus a modern pistol is there? It's a small difference at best. You can get Glock mags that are as high capacity as an AR or AK, and for any use we are concerned about (mass shootings, gang violence, etc.) they are as or more capable of inflicting damage.

So who cares if you add a brace/stock to a pistol exactly? Is that going to save lives? The next shooter who terrorizes some school will we all feel better when we find out they used their 9mm Glock without a brace? Will they just give up b/c they don't want to get an AR with a 16" barrel and are just set on committing suicide by cop with a pistol but need the brace for it?

Exactly what difference will this rule make?

You can argue bump stocks, the Glock switch, etc. b/c that modifies the function of the firearm making it basically full auto. But what is the risk in the modern era of high capacity and high function handguns of having that line with rifles blurred?

I just don't get the point. I don't think ATF does either, which is why they have approved so many "pistols" that are based on rifle designs and frames,from AKs to ARs and a lot in between (including some lever actions).
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Can you share any info on the (including some lever actions) ?

I have both the Winchester and the Marlin carbines and really enjoy everything about them except, yeah that is right, the recycle speed. I can empty the 5 rounds fairly quickly but do not want to as the ejecting and reloading operation does not allow me to reacquire the target nearly as quickly as I can with a SA rifle.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.