Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Looking for fireamrs advice

I have some definite opinions and a good bit of knowledge about firearms, BUT I also know there are folks here that have some professional experience and others that have studied self defense firearms more than I have so I am hoping others will be willing to share their knowledge with me. I want to rearrange my weapons inventory and am looking for advice or at least maybe some discussion. I was going to buy the Palmetto State Armory 9mm Dagger, and am glad I did not as the original Dagger was the compact version and am not sure I want that.

As I have nothing that I consider to be a concealed carry including a permit, can your perfect choice for concealed carry also be a perfect choice for home defense. Can a full sized 9mm 17 rds. vs what is called a compact, 15 rds.9mm both serve as a concealed carry? Can a 1911 A1 US Army .45 ACP Pistol 5" 8rds, be a quality concealed carry. It is my choice for home defense, but can I also make it a quality concealed carry? I think either of the 9mm would suffice for home defense if one wants that caliber.

I have a full sized shotgun for home defense, but also want something that is lighter and quicker if I need to move in a hurry or change position that might make the use of a long gun difficult to make an accurate shot. I know I can get a much more compact shotgun, but I thinking that gun is limited to a very specific use.

Thoughts?

And thanks to any and all responders.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Looking for fireamrs advice

Very quickly, answering whether you can take a fuller size gun and use it for carry, that totally depends on how and where you want to carry. Most find that full size pistols are just too big to conceal. In winter under a coat OK ,but in summer under a shirt? Very hard. Also heavier, harder to sit with, etc.

Some do it, but most find it cumbersome and too hard to hide the weapon. The only answer there is personal taste and what is comfortable.

I have moved to the Sig P365X b/c it is high capacity but still extremely small, fine for carry. At 12+1 for carry that's impressive. Full size will have more, but at the price of much more bulk.

Question 2:

you can certainly use a carry pistol for home defense, but there are limitations/issues. Capacity, accuracy (though even in home defense you're pretty dang close), recoil, ease of use and control.

I will say that it can pay off to have one such weapon for both and shoot with that so you become the most proficient. Many don't have the time to shoot as much with 2 guns and may not be as natural with one, and both are where you really need to be able to shoot and not think ideally. That to me is a big "practical plus" to it, beyond the mechanics of guns.

I have looked at a 9mm with a silencer for home defense as well. You have to think that at night when you shoot you will immediately be blind and deaf in a home situation. Silencer can really help with both. Would also help with recoil and other issues from smaller pistols.

So you could get a carry gun with threaded barrel and then put a silencer on it in the home, but that's lot of changing out. I may get a full size with silencer for home, smaller for carry, but same Sig platform and feel to help with comfort level.

IMO there's nothing wrong with using a carry gun for home defense as long as it's a good carry gun with maybe enough capacity you feel like you can have options. Some small carry guns that are 5+1 or so seem too limited to me in a home situation where you may have to fire more often.

Just be comfortable with it, that's the most important thing IMO.

I think you'll find it better to have a carry gun for the home much more than having a full size home defense gun for carry. Just my .02.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Dan, I have and Springfield XD9 and the Palmetto 9mm Dagger. They are the same size to me and have a very similar feel in the hand.

To me, both have same feel and weight. But both are pretty big and both are double stack which is how you get to the 15+1.

For Concealed, I would want a single stack. I do not have one and most single stack feel small to my hands but I am a very big guy at 6'6" 290#.

I want to be clear, the other guys know so much more than me. But I can say that an XD9 and the PSA Dagger feel good in a big hand but I do not think of them as a Conceal Carry. I would open carry them.
    Last edited by VirginiaCat; 04-08-2023 at 07:06 AM.

Looking for fireamrs advice

I just bought the Ruger .380 LCP Max 10+1. It’s my grab and go gun. Fits in my pocket nicely, I have pretty good size hands and with the pinky extension feels pretty good in my hand.

…I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

The Sig P365X is a double stack carry, which is why it was seen as a game-changer. If you look up the width, it's shocking for double stack. It's not quite as double stack as a full size, but I think it's like 1.1" wide or something.

There are several others now that follow that design.

You can either go a bit wider, or a bit longer with an extended mag, or just live with less capacity. I often carry my stupidly reliable S&W 60-9, the first .357 in a J frame size. I love that gun, but only 5 rounds. But they are 357 hollow points. Even with just a 2" barrel they are persuasive, and loud as all Hades which is not all bad at scaring people.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I really like that Sig P365X but at $800 not sure I am willing to go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LsfXSqbic

This video has some good info that is pertinent to my issue. Can I carry a full frame and make it work as a CC weapon? Probably.

I have handled some of the different brands of their 9mm compact versions, and they just don't seem to fit my hand comfortably. If I had one and shot it a few hundred times I might change my mind? I am sure I would form a new opinion, but I have had 2 full frame pistols sine I was 21, a model 1911 .45 acp and a Colt .22 cal Woodsman and that is what I have used for plinking, rat hunting, snake hunting, wild hog hunting, etc. and I love the balance and the overall feel of both of them.

The idea of having a 17 shot 9mm compact gun that I can drop in my pocket and walk out the door with it is enticing but I think it might take a few hindered rounds of practice with it to be close to proficient.

Thanks for the links.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I really like that Sig P365X but at $800 not sure I am willing to go there.
    What is your life worth??

Not only is buying a good handgun a necessity, but in the long run it is a good investment too. And if you have someone to leave it to when you pass on, that's a good gift to leave to them.
    Last edited by suncat05; 04-20-2023 at 10:23 AM.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    What is your life worth??

Not only is buying a good handgun a necessity, but in the long run it is a good investment too. And if you have someone to leave it to when you pass on, that's a good gift to leave to them.
    Everyone has their priorities. I'm picky on price on guns if it's for sport, etc. but for my carry gun and home defense gun I don't worry about the price much. Now, you start going with a $3k Benelli shotgun versus a perfectly reliable Mossberg yeah I will get price sensitive.

But the difference between say $500 and $1,000 for a mission critical gun is well within my "range". I also didn't buy a custom ported HK with threaded barrel either, at $2.5K+.

With this Sig you're buying the size and reliability. Definitely pay for reliability in that role, and then the rest is personal preference.

I've got about $1K in it with the Crimson Trace red laser, I think the gun itself was about $750. That's right in the range of a good quality handgun for carry. Less than a lot of them like the fancier Kimbers and such, maybe a hair more than some like Springfield. But for me right in the range.

The real pain is breaking in a new holster. My S&W has been worn so well the holster and the gun are as one. Starting over on the Sig.

Ok, I held the P365X with the red dot this past weekend. definitely smaller than my XD9 or the Dagger. But perfect for carry and was not too small for even my hand.

Best price on the 365X I have seen..

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...5x-9-bxr3.html