Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Allow me to brag on my nephew a bit..

Allow me to brag on my nephew a bit..

If you will allow, Patrick Kroeger gave his dissertation Friday and is now Dr. Patrick Kroger/ Doctor of Philosophy and Chemical Engineer (University of Louisville)

He was also appointed VP of Technology at Arduro Sustainable Rubber in 2019

He developed and implemented a process to recycle ELT rubber ( ELT=end of life tires and rubber) at U of L. The idea was conceived and presented by him in his original Master’s thesis and based on an idea brought about by a coincidental incident he and his professor were involved with. That, despite how it reads below. It is his baby.

(Official story link and excerpt below)

So very proud of him. Old used tires and expired rubber products will be no more. And can be recycled into new rubber products with any waste completely eliminated. The second major factory is set to open in Canada. They already have an operating facility here.

Kroeger said the project is a two phased approach, with a tire shredding plant built before the reaction system. He expects the plant to produce around 2.5 tons of rubber and 1.5 tons of carbon black every day. The Nova Scotia plant is expected to be operational by mid-2023.

Willing said the environmental impact is huge. “When people talk about a fundamental shift in how we do things, this is that shift,” he said. “Up until this point, there’s been no way to close that rubber loop effectively, and you end up either burning it or it goes in a landfill. But now that’s not the end of the road,” he said.

“It will begin to address a massive environmental problem,” said Kroeger.

https://engineering.louisville.edu/c...ubber-company/

“ ..company that converts waste tires (“End-of-Life” tires or “ELT”) back into their primary components (rubber, carbon black or “CB” and steel). The company has developed a patented process that provides high quality raw materials (rubber and carbon black) at competitive prices to go back into Original Equipment Manufacturing products, while providing an environmentally sustainable disposal method of ELTs

The initial research for the project goes back eight years when Dr. Gerold Willing, Professor and Chair of the Chemical Engineering Department at Speed School, was working with Civil Engineering professor Thomas Rockaway and the Center for Infrastructure Research as well as the Rapid Prototyping Center. With an American Water Works Association grant, they were studying the aging of elastomeric materials and the water utility industry.

Due to new EPA rules, utilities had begun switching from using chlorine to clean water to using chloramines. But with the introduction of the new chemicals, they began to notice rubber components were degrading much faster than they should be. “They were supposed to be lasting 20 years, but were only lasting two years,” explained Willing.

The rapid degradation mechanisms inspired Willing to wonder if there was any way to purposefully use this to degrade rubber, and the idea for the research germinated in 2012. That term, graduate student Patrick Kroeger wrote his Master’s thesis on the project. “Could this be a feasible method of recycling tires?” and the answer was yes,” said Kroeger, who decided to continue to pursue this project through his PhD at Speed School.

“We replicated our results from my original Master’s thesis and we filed for our provisional patent in fall of 2014, and then filed for the full patent and received it in 2016,” he said.

The sometimes difficult next step in taking the research to commercialization was finding funding. “At that point, we managed to cobble together some funding with a little bit from the state and a little bit from the university to continue developing it,” said Prof. Willing.“
    Last edited by kingcat; 04-02-2023 at 11:32 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Re: Allow me to brag on my nephew a bit..

Pretty cool!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Congratulations!

Outstanding!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    If you will allow, Patrick Kroeger gave his dissertation Friday and is now Dr. Patrick Kroger/ Doctor of Philosophy and Chemical Engineer (University of Louisville)

He was also appointed VP of Technology at Arduro Sustainable Rubber in 2019

He developed and implemented a process to recycle ELT rubber ( ELT=end of life tires and rubber) at U of L. The idea was conceived and presented by him in his original Master’s thesis and based on an idea brought about by a coincidental incident he and his professor were involved with. That, despite how it reads below. It is his baby.

(Official story link and excerpt below)

So very proud of him. Old used tires and expired rubber products will be no more. And can be recycled into new rubber products with any waste completely eliminated. The second major factory is set to open in Canada. They already have an operating facility here.

Kroeger said the project is a two phased approach, with a tire shredding plant built before the reaction system. He expects the plant to produce around 2.5 tons of rubber and 1.5 tons of carbon black every day. The Nova Scotia plant is expected to be operational by mid-2023.

Willing said the environmental impact is huge. “When people talk about a fundamental shift in how we do things, this is that shift,” he said. “Up until this point, there’s been no way to close that rubber loop effectively, and you end up either burning it or it goes in a landfill. But now that’s not the end of the road,” he said.

“It will begin to address a massive environmental problem,” said Kroeger.

https://engineering.louisville.edu/c...ubber-company/

“ ..company that converts waste tires (“End-of-Life” tires or “ELT”) back into their primary components (rubber, carbon black or “CB” and steel). The company has developed a patented process that provides high quality raw materials (rubber and carbon black) at competitive prices to go back into Original Equipment Manufacturing products, while providing an environmentally sustainable disposal method of ELTs

The initial research for the project goes back eight years when Dr. Gerold Willing, Professor and Chair of the Chemical Engineering Department at Speed School, was working with Civil Engineering professor Thomas Rockaway and the Center for Infrastructure Research as well as the Rapid Prototyping Center. With an American Water Works Association grant, they were studying the aging of elastomeric materials and the water utility industry.

Due to new EPA rules, utilities had begun switching from using chlorine to clean water to using chloramines. But with the introduction of the new chemicals, they began to notice rubber components were degrading much faster than they should be. “They were supposed to be lasting 20 years, but were only lasting two years,” explained Willing.

The rapid degradation mechanisms inspired Willing to wonder if there was any way to purposefully use this to degrade rubber, and the idea for the research germinated in 2012. That term, graduate student Patrick Kroeger wrote his Master’s thesis on the project. “Could this be a feasible method of recycling tires?” and the answer was yes,” said Kroeger, who decided to continue to pursue this project through his PhD at Speed School.

“We replicated our results from my original Master’s thesis and we filed for our provisional patent in fall of 2014, and then filed for the full patent and received it in 2016,” he said.

The sometimes difficult next step in taking the research to commercialization was finding funding. “At that point, we managed to cobble together some funding with a little bit from the state and a little bit from the university to continue developing it,” said Prof. Willing.“
    That is really cool. I play golf (well, not literally as they are older and play with a diff group of guys but I do have beer with them) with the guys that left Rubbermaid and invented Trex using waste plastic that used to go into landfills. Now they are all worth millions (well the ones still alive)

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    That is really cool. I play golf (well, not literally as they are older and play with a diff group of guys but I do have beer with them) with the guys that left Rubbermaid and invented Trex using waste plastic that used to go into landfills. Now they are all worth millions (well the ones still alive)
    Cool, I hope he does as well. And if he does I hope he remembers his poor old Unc.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Rupp's Runt

Does this mean that car & truck tires are going to be cheaper now?
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Does this mean that car & truck tires are going to be cheaper now?
    I kind of doubt it.