Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live if money was no object?

Where would you live if money was no object?

Capture 3-3-23.jpg

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/...83426464202753

I can tell you this--it wouldn't be Atlanta or Baltimore.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Where would you live if money was no object?

I was thinking more like the south of Spain.

Bombino

I have thorougly enjoyed Munich, Singapore, and Vietnam when I have visited those countries. The biggest issue with Singapore is how expensive it is but if money is no objection, that is no problem.

Rupp's Runt

Honestly, right where I am at.

May thru October? Right where I have lived for 47 years.

November thru April? A Beach house. Or a downtown in a decent small city.

I enjoyed the island of Roatan, Honduras on our visit. One day soon it will be the place to visit in the Carabbean. I never have seen so much construction going on. Currently they are managing to maintain the natural beauty of the place and the people there are so nice.
    The police presence takes a while to get use to and they have a certain way of doing things to prevent crime. And it most certainly works.

Tiger Woods has built a hotel there. And there are plenty of resorts available. The island is a huge contrast of rich foreigners and and rather common locals living together. An investment bonanza for anyone with means by the way.

It is the hills of Kentucky painted in tropical vegetation surrounded by the reef protected waters of the Caribbean. And that’s no exaggeration. The second largest reef in the world.
    Still a poor people being crushed a bit by tourist dollars. One of the most beautiful views on the island is a new small up-class hotel high on a hill overlooking the sea. Maybe six rooms or so with an upscale restaurant underneath. And a beautiful veranda up top where probably 30 or 40 could gather. The new smell was still strong and the rooms huge.

They go for 95 bucks a night
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-03-2023 at 05:01 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Had my chances to live in Atlanta, declined. Jobs better but didn't like the feel. To each their own, I'm sure.

My answer is somewhere close to all my children. But they have to cooperate and move closer together. Frankly, I don't care that much, although I love, love, love, North Shelby County, just south of Birmingham.

Have lived in Miami and New Orleans, love both cities, don't want to live there.

Don't want to live in NYC. Don't want to live in California. Guess I'd consider Hawaii or the Cayman Islands, if money is no object (and ignoring the kids).

I'd love Cincinnati, Louisville, or Lexington. I haven't spent enough time in Louisville to gauge that, but friends who live there (and I include outskirts and suburbs) love it.

Have spent several days at a time a few times in Lexington. Great city. Not just because of UK. Would be my preference of those 3, based on what I know.

Honestly, lots of places. I didn't like Montgomery, but I liked every other place I've ever lived. Just wouldn't want to move to any of them now.

Probably about where I’m at, though I’d like some flatter land in central Kentucky. Around Cynthiana might be good, but maybe near Perryville where I could visit the battlefield just anbout every day would be fun.

I’d probably have to find a warm-weather homestead somewhere too, but I have no particular preferences off the top of my head. The Outer Banks is nice to visit but I might need warmer and less hurricane-prone weather.

Any way, I’d like it to be rural, quiet, and uncrowded also. No major cities

If I could afford to live on the North Shore of Oahu, then I would. I moved to Naples, FL in 2019. Love it here….all but that hurricane thing lol

Rupp's Runt

At the moment some place with electricity lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 03-04-2023 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    At the moment some place with electricity lol

I’ve got a friend down by Bardstown, their power has been out since 4:00 pm yesterday.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I’ve got a friend down by Bardstown, their power has been out since 4:00 pm yesterday.

Lost ours around lunch time yesterday. Pennyrile said it might be a few more days.

Edit: Outage maps for those interested.
    http://outage.precc.com/
    https://stormcenter.lge-ku.com/
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 03-04-2023 at 09:51 AM.

You never know how much you rely on that until you don't have it, do you?

Hope you guys get it turned back on soon.

Ours has been out since shortly after 5:00 yesterday afternoon. The house got down to 60° last night but it’s already up to 62 with the curtains open in the south facing rooms.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

Portable generator with plugs to run most of the house, and a work iPad to hotspot wi-fi. We can't really complain...hasn't stopped up us from complaining...but we are better off than most

But the gasoline and propane cost is adding up very very very quickly. May have to start a GoFundMe before the weekend is over lol

News on my transistor radio reported that there were 67,000 homes out of power this morning at 7:00. We are one of them, and I know where the problem is, but the power company probably would not appreciate me fixing it for them, however the other 69 houses that are affected would probably say thank you.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Had my chances to live in Atlanta, declined. Jobs better but didn't like the feel. To each their own, I'm sure.

My answer is somewhere close to all my children. But they have to cooperate and move closer together. Frankly, I don't care that much, although I love, love, love, North Shelby County, just south of Birmingham.

Have lived in Miami and New Orleans, love both cities, don't want to live there.

Don't want to live in NYC. Don't want to live in California. Guess I'd consider Hawaii or the Cayman Islands, if money is no object (and ignoring the kids).

I'd love Cincinnati, Louisville, or Lexington. I haven't spent enough time in Louisville to gauge that, but friends who live there (and I include outskirts and suburbs) love it.

Have spent several days at a time a few times in Lexington. Great city. Not just because of UK. Would be my preference of those 3, based on what I know.

Honestly, lots of places. I didn't like Montgomery, but I liked every other place I've ever lived. Just wouldn't want to move to any of them now.
    I had to smile when I read this. I was supposed to take a job in the ATL when I left Louisville. I was looking at houses when I got a call and told the position would be in Birmingham. I was Pissed!! Our group had GD Birmingham parties every Friday aft.

As it turned out Birmingham suburbs have Superior Public Schools. The residential neighborhoods are gorgeous. I had job offers in ATL, Charlotte, Jacksonville and Cleveland. I turned them all down. I even commuted to ATL daily/weekly off and on for 7 years. I would never move there. My friends who have moved there admit it was a mistake.

I’ve always talked of moving home, specifically Versailles or Bardstown. But so far it is just talk. What I would really like to do is move to St Barth’s.
    Real Fan since 1958

lol. Glad you landed at your 2nd (or worse) choice. Before I accepted my Birmingham job, I had to bring my wife here so she could take a look around. Her idea of Birmingham was completely opposite from the reality. It was so much nicer in every way than she expected, and then experiencing it, it was even better than the feel, atmosphere, and look.

I think you made the right choices, even down to the commuting, even as long a trek as that is. Don't know that I'd do that forever, but I'd do it, too, if I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Does a $200 million yacht with unlimited funds for fuel count?

I know this much, not a single city on the list in the OP. There are a bunch better places to live if you have unlimited funds for it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I haven’t been to that place yet.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Lost ours around lunch time yesterday. Pennyrile said it might be a few more days.

Edit: Outage maps for those interested.
    http://outage.precc.com/
    https://stormcenter.lge-ku.com/
    I do not know where they get their info, but Bowling Green shows no outages on the maps and I can throw a rock and hit 7, and that is not even close to all of them
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

1) FLORIDA, where I am right now.
    2) The Philippines
    3) Thailand
    4) Vietnam (except it's a Communist country, so this is a pipedream)
    5) Sicily

I will NOT live anyplace where it gets cold and stays cold during winters. I got my fill of that being in Germany & Kansas when I was in the Army. It has to be warm where I live.
    Last edited by suncat05; 03-06-2023 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added thoughts
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I haven’t been to that place yet.

I don't think they let people like us into them.

I don't speak a lick of Portuguese but I hear that's a popular option for expats. I think they've made it tougher now b/c too many were coming.

Someplace with quality health care is important. Since money is no object in this one I'm sure that would be no problem.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I do not know where they get their info, but Bowling Green shows no outages on the maps and I can throw a rock and hit 7, and that is not even close to all of them
    Neither of those are BGMU or whoever covers that area. Pennyrile also seems to have given up on updating their map.

We are still without power. Right at 48 hours now.

Western North Carolina mountains. Anywhere close to Maggie Valley, Waynesville, either would suit me great. Three month summertime temps in the low 80s and dead of winter temps highs in the 40s and lows in the high 20s for a couple months. Yearly rainfall averages around 30 inches with low humidity in the summer. Beautiful old mountains and very friendly people.

Really nothing not to like except the annual biker convention in late June early July. Kind of like a small Sturgis biker rally. An hours drive to Gatlinburg one way and same time to Asheville in the other direction and 10 hours to Hatteras and the ocean beach for a couple weeks vacation to avoid the bikers..
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Seriously right here in Greenville. But I would spend February on a beach. And July rotating northern areas.

Like where I grew up in Virginia, where I was always a stranger, I could never find my sense of home in Hopkins Co. That is despite being born there and having a big extended family in Hopkins and going all theu school in Richmond. A woman at my 40th reunion said to me, “you know Jeff, Monte and I are the only people here who went all thru school with you, all 4 elementary schools and jr high and high school. I read about you up in Bozeman and I’m so glad you found somewhere you fit in.” That was not an insult but just the truth

I spent 2 years in Oregon too but it was here in Bozeman I found people.

That is number one for me. It’s what I learned as a young man growing up and then hitchin and hoppin freights and even boomin around my railroad jobs. It’s finding the people. That book by Krakauer, and especially the movie, “Into the Wild” I was very much like that guy. But I valued people more than “the experience” that he did. Broke my heart when he ditched each chance with people that he got.

So that is what I am lookin for now, a warm place walkin distance to something, where I feel the people and they feel me.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I was thinking more like the south of Spain.
    I was thinking Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terra although Sicily is making a strong showing for me of recent.

If we are only talking about the United States I would likely look to St. John or one of the US Virgin Islands or parts of FL.

Portable generator with plugs to run most of the house, and a work iPad to hotspot wi-fi. We can't really complain...hasn't stopped up us from complaining...but we are better off than most

But the gasoline and propane cost is adding up very very very quickly. May have to start a GoFundMe before the weekend is over lol

I had a buddy install a Generac for me after Hurrican Sandy effected us for 2 days. It has kicked on off and on for me since then. It is big enough to power my fridge, Freezer, and cooking devices. I chose not to worry about AC but it can also run my Furnace.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I had a buddy install a Generac for me after Hurrican Sandy effected us for 2 days. It has kicked on off and on for me since then. It is big enough to power my fridge, Freezer, and cooking devices. I chose not to worry about AC but it can also run my Furnace.
    Lost power about lunch time Friday. Power restored about 4:00 pm today.

My generator is a portable duel fuel. I have plugs that I can run it through my breaker panels so we don't have to use extension cords. It is 10,000 watt and will run two space heaters, fridge, deepfreeze, lights, and TV. Propane for hot water. So we were fine and better off than many.

I debated forever on what to go with. Portable, Generac, what size, what fuel? Finally just did the portable to save money and I'm young enough to get out there hook it all up. I will probably get a Generac later on for convenience. Worst part about portable is trying to determine if you need to get it out and plug it up.