Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Politics in Sports

Politics in Sports

Not sure Darrell ever ventures into the Barber Shop but thought I would start a post on the Politics in sports thing.

I respect very much the desire to keep politics and positions out of the sports discussion but how can we as fans (posters) do that when the athletes themselves are making their political positions part of the sport they are playing?

It seems really unfair to the average fan to ask them to muzzle their positons while the athletes are able to put theirs front and center IN their uniforms. It would be different if it was not while wearing their uniforms.

Re: Politics in Sports

Bring it over here and I will talk about politics anytime with you!

I get pretty close to the line sometimes. Certainly the thread mentioning the Twitter alternate from Zuckerberg got my attention! Elon Musk’s contribution to free speech and current events making news can’t be overestimated. Those guys and gal that released the Twitter files uncovered the worst govt conspiracy of my lifetime. I subscribe to Matt Taibbi’s weekly subscription.

Nobody should gleefully volunteer for the Facebook style government and big tech censorship it offers.

Athletes are going to be subjected to the same woke indoctrinations the rest of the student body gets. It’s in every class, and every social situation. If you are not on campus you can not even imagine how horrible the oppression is. I don’t expect them to be able to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Bring it over here and I will talk about politics anytime with you!

I get pretty close to the line sometimes. Certainly the thread mentioning the Twitter alternate from Zuckerberg got my attention! Elon Musk’s contribution to free speech and current events making news can’t be overestimated. Those guys and gal that released the Twitter files uncovered the worst govt conspiracy of my lifetime. I subscribe to Matt Taibbi’s weekly subscription.

Nobody should gleefully volunteer for the Facebook style government and big tech censorship it offers.

Athletes are going to be subjected to the same woke indoctrinations the rest of the student body gets. It’s in every class, and every social situation. If you are not on campus you can not even imagine how horrible the oppression is. I don’t expect them to be able to resist.
    Oh I do the same, hence why I posted this topic here.

My point I am not making very well is that when politics and the message is one sided it is not a real rep of the situation or potitions. If the Athlete can expose their opinions on the field of play via uniform or actions, the fan comments should be open as well.

I understany why we don't but man that is not really giving the fan their say.

Rupp's Runt

Darrell has told me before that he does not come to the Barber Shop.

Are you talking about fans in general? Or specifically discussions on this site? If we allowed politics on the sports page here, we would never get to talk about sports.

It is depressing when you can't discuss the interaction between sports and politics. Athlete have brought politics into sports. Is hard to talk about somebody like Riley Gaines, who I have immense respect for both as an athlete and person, when somebody gets their panties in a wad. Same with a women's Soccer discussion. They (or at.least some) elected to make it a point. Ignoring is dumb IMO. I get.some don't like the political aspect, hell, I don't like it...but its a part by THEIR choice.

Of course we can have discussion here, all 6 of us.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Hah, okay. Cal’s political stuff might be the most on point issue and we have talked about it semi civilly. Some people are po’ed about it tho.

Guess I’m okay with the six of us and the rest of our smallish group okay with the dichotomy as it stands. And it seems to be the rule other boards as well.

But I get your point now.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Darrell has told me before that he does not come to the Barber Shop.

Are you talking about fans in general? Or specifically discussions on this site? If we allowed politics on the sports page here, we would never get to talk about sports.
    In general. I fully understand why we try to limit it in our sports discussion, but it does feel disingenuous when the athletes get to represent their views but we fans cannot. But again, I fully get why.