Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: 2023 Vacation thread

2023 Vacation thread

For some reason I can’t find any old threads on cruises or travel in Italy/France/uk. I believe we’re going to plan an Italy vacation but likely go in 2024. I also wanted to ask if anyone has done the Viking river cruise or their new ocean cruises? And lastly I would love to plan a week in Norway, as we’ve always wanted to go there. Any advice on those topics above or links to old threads would be appreciated. Also let me know where you plan to go in 2023! As soon as my daughter is done with travel Bball next year we plan to see more of the world.
    Go Cats!

Re: 2023 Vacation thread

We are looking to go to the UK sometime this year, likely in the fall. Not sure if Scotland, Ireland or Wales. We had New Zealand planned and booked until COVID cancelled it, so that is another option. Already have Vegas in Feb (work trip) and of course Nashville. Probably do a week in Colorado in May or June

Never been to any of the Scandinavian countries, one of the few regions I've not visited. France is in a bit of a political upheaval currently so consider that. As for Italy, I'm not a Rome fan. Too many beggars and thieves. Tuscany though is a different t story, as is Venice which recently has become much cleaner (was a cesspool for a while).
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

2023 Vacation thread

The way things are going, I’ll be lucky to have time to make to Waddy and back….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

We're going to London April 19-29. We had this same trip planned 5 years ago, but events intervened. We're excited about doing it this year (fingers crossed).

If you're looking for vacation deals, Travelzoo.com has a Top 20 every Wednesday at noon.

https://www.travelzoo.com/top20/?pageType=Homepage

We're thinking strongly about the Paris-Amsterdam or Athens-Santorini trips in the fall.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    We are looking to go to the UK sometime this year, likely in the fall. Not sure if Scotland, Ireland or Wales. We had New Zealand planned and booked until COVID cancelled it, so that is another option. Already have Vegas in Feb (work trip) and of course Nashville. Probably do a week in Colorado in May or June

Never been to any of the Scandinavian countries, one of the few regions I've not visited. France is in a bit of a political upheaval currently so consider that. As for Italy, I'm not a Rome fan. Too many beggars and thieves. Tuscany though is a different t story, as is Venice which recently has become much cleaner (was a cesspool for a while).
    I think the plan on the Italy vacation was to try and hit the high points. Rome is a must to just check off the list and I like history well enough that I must do it but I’ve heard it’s not great. Venice and Tuscany are my flavor and what I want to “experience” and our friends that travel with us requested the amalfi coast. There is actually an 8 night that does all of that, obviously would be a lot of moving but that’s what I enjoy doing on my first trip somewhere.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    We're going to London April 19-29. We had this same trip planned 5 years ago, but events intervened. We're excited about doing it this year (fingers crossed).

If you're looking for vacation deals, Travelzoo.com has a Top 20 every Wednesday at noon.

https://www.travelzoo.com/top20/?pageType=Homepage

We're thinking strongly about the Paris-Amsterdam or Athens-Santorini trips in the fall.
    Thanks for the tip. Let us know how London is. I have a stepbrother that’s sister lives in Amsterdam and he visits some and loves it, and my boss’ family is from Greece and he goes annually and loves it. I’m making myself hungry thinking about travel…
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    The way things are going, I’ll be lucky to have time to make to Waddy and back….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be sure and go through scenic Peytona on the way. It's a must see.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

A Europe coastline cruise is on the bucket list, but it might be a while.

Only thing I can add is that a lady from church loves Viking cruises. Enjoys what she calls a more mature crowd. Sorry, that is all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    A Europe coastline cruise is on the bucket list, but it might be a while.

Only thing I can add is that a lady from church loves Viking cruises. Enjoys what she calls a more mature crowd. Sorry, that is all I got.
    We did a Rhine River cruise in 2017 on a Viking competitor, Avalon, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We started in Amsterdam and sailed to Cologne, Koblenz, Mainz, Rudesheim, Heidelburg, and the Alsace region where we visited the Black Forest, Strasbourg and Colmar, I could've stood for less Mainz/Rudesheim and more Heidelburg and Alsace, but it was beautiful and it really whet our appetite for more European travel.

Viking and some other cruise lines are doing specials right now where they're including reduced or free air far on 2023 and 2024 cruises and a smaller deposit.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

My ex wife and her parents did a Viking cruise through the Rhine. They liked it, but we were already separated at that point and didn't talk about it much.

No one here has enough money to pay me to call and get more details. Or enough to pay her to take the call....
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    We did a Rhine River cruise in 2017 on a Viking competitor, Avalon, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We started in Amsterdam and sailed to Cologne, Koblenz, Mainz, Rudesheim, Heidelburg, and the Alsace region where we visited the Black Forest, Strasbourg and Colmar, I could've stood for less Mainz/Rudesheim and more Heidelburg and Alsace, but it was beautiful and it really whet our appetite for more European travel.

Viking and some other cruise lines are doing specials right now where they're including reduced or free air far on 2023 and 2024 cruises and a smaller deposit.
    Oh, you may have dodged a bullet to not be on that Viking cruise. See above...

I have been to Rome, Venice, and the Northern part of Italy. Go north young man, go north. I spent about a half day gawking at all the falling down Roman buildings that everyone was ooing and awing at, but I found them to be reminiscent of parts of Detroit. Doc is spot on about the beggars and the pick pockets. North Italy is beautiful, people are friendly, and the food and wine are absolutely outstanding. Turin, Milan, Verona, Trenlo, and Boizano all allow you to visit parts of Switzerland and Austria the same day.

No help on cruises as all my sailing trips have been Caribbean and north South America. I only have one more boat trip I want to take and that is so sail to Alaska. London was terrific in the late 60s but I have heard that the migrant influence has changed the city a good bit, and not for the better.

My current wants for vacation trips all entail automobiles for transportation, and the states of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota. The future plan is for one trip of about 2 months. That and the Alaska boat trip will fill in all 50 states and the Caribbean territories.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Ok, we have been on two major Italy Vacations. First in 2003 on a 10 night Honeymoon and again in 2018 for a 12 night trip that included our 8 year old Daughter. Both Trips were a Venice/Florence/Rome based trips with day trips. happy to share anything. I am looking again right now. We have always done 100% of our own planning and enjoy it. Does not mean we will not book a tour for a daytrip but for most part, are self planners and doers. BTW, CostcoTravel has some really good deals on 9 night or more trips that include Venice, Rome, Florence, or Milan right now that is literally all inclusive except food and drink.

For Cruises we have done 2 Med cruises with Disney out of Barcelona that hit Barcelona, French Rivera, and 3/4 ports in Italy. Again, happy to share info.

We are considering a Venice/Greek Isle tour out of Venice in the future. The Celebrity Edge Ships look cool for that trip but we will look at Viking as well. Depending on your budget consider Seabourne as well.

France we have done a 10 year anniversay trip in 2013 for 2 weeks. PAris (7 nights) Bayeux and Dday beaches (3 nights) and Beaune/Burgundy (4nights) and 1 night back to Paris. Loved the trip and the day trips out of paris as well.

We are heading back to France in May for a delayed 50th Birthday trip (3 years delayed) for my wife to go to the Loire Valley. This year it will also include our daughter and also be for her 16th birthday trip. we plan on hitting the many castles in the Loire valley and sampling my wifes favorite wine Sancerre. Then back to Paris for 4 nights for the Daughter and to visit Disnelyland Paris for 1 day.

Finally, my SIL has done MANY Viking Cruises. Loves them. Pricey but she likes the adultness and the way the cater to you as a guest. She has done 1/2 river cruises as well.

Full disclosure, my wife is a Disney Travel Agent but can help and provide info on most anything disney.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Full disclosure, my wife is a Disney Travel Agent but can help and provide info on most anything disney.
    Well shoot, I never knew. I would have gladly been using her.

For cruises, she generally has one of the best onboard credit options of anybody. She’s much better than Costco.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Be sure and go through scenic Peytona on the way. It's a must see.
    Ah, the Gary Burbank Tri-cities! Waddy, Peytona and Graeffenburg!!
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Ah, the Gary Burbank Tri-cities! Waddy, Peytona and Graeffenburg!!
    Some of the nicest girls hang out at the Waddy truckstop
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Some of the nicest girls hang out at the Waddy truckstop
    Pilot, Flying J, or Loves?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Did the Italy trip 3 years ago and really enjoyed it, not a fan of Rome or Florence but enjoy Venice and Capri.

Looking to go to Costa Rica in June, man flights are priced very high.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Looking to go to Costa Rica in June, man flights are priced very high.
    Great place to go. Flight are usually cheap, as are hotels. We went several years ago for 4 days. Cost was 375 per person for flights and hotel. We stayed in LaFortuna-the Arenal area (volcano with hot spring). If going there, car rental needs to be 4 wheel drive. Roads suck... drive of 75 miles takes nearly 3 hrs....but is worth it. Going in June is dry season. We went late August in 2016, just at beginning of wet season when prices drop. We had no rain while there. Area is beautiful.

Rupp's Runt

Recalling memories from my Army days in Germany, Heidelburg is beautiful. If any of you go there and get a chance to see the castle lighting, it's beautiful and worth the time.

Sicily is my favorite part of Italy, but then I have family there.
    MOLON LABE!

Mrs. BEvans and I were stuck in the Louisville airport all day a couple of weeks ago and impulsed into an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Norwegian Feb 4-11. Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Tortola and NCL's private island, Great Stirrup Cay. That was an expensive delay, but it'll be nice to go someplace warm.

We saw a deal on Travelzoo for a Madrid-Barcelona trip with hotel & flights. We're looking at that for her birthday in late October.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-26-2023 at 08:37 AM.

Headed to NYC this weekend, Saturday through monday. Let me know if you guys have a few must-do's. itll be me and the wife and our 16 year old daughter. Right now we just have a columbia visit on Saturday for the princeton game then watching practice Monday and touring campus.
    Go Cats!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Headed to NYC this weekend, Saturday through monday. Let me know if you guys have a few must-do's. itll be me and the wife and our 16 year old daughter. Right now we just have a columbia visit on Saturday for the princeton game then watching practice Monday and touring campus.
    We were there in December. A new place we tried was the Monarch Rooftop bar. I’m not sure if there is an 18 age minimum or not but it was an incredible experience. We went an hour before sundown. We watched the sunset and the lighting of the Empire State building. It was incredible.

Two time tested restaurants are Lombardi’s in Little Italy and KATZ delicatessen on East Houston St. Lombardi’s has the best pizza ever, but also has full Italian menu. Lombardi’s is Cash Only. If you like pastrami or corned beef Katz is your place. 3 of you could share a pastrami sandwich. It is piled high.

I always recommend Guggenheim Museum. My kids liked it when they were 11 and 15. Much better for teens than New York Museum of Art or Museum of Modern Art.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    We were there in December. A new place we tried was the Monarch Rooftop bar. I’m not sure if there is an 18 age minimum or not but it was an incredible experience. We went an hour before sundown. We watched the sunset and the lighting of the Empire State building. It was incredible.

Two time tested restaurants are Lombardi’s in Little Italy and KATZ delicatessen on East Houston St. Lombardi’s has the best pizza ever, but also has full Italian menu. Lombardi’s is Cash Only. If you like pastrami or corned beef Katz is your place. 3 of you could share a pastrami sandwich. It is piled high.

I always recommend Guggenheim Museum. My kids liked it when they were 11 and 15. Much better for teens than New York Museum of Art or Museum of Modern Art.
    Thanks I’m not gonna be far from monarch will def do that! I’ve done lombardis but would like to do Katz if I’ve got time when we’re down that way. Thanks!
    Go Cats!

Fab Five

Katz is an uber ride from anywhere.

Chinatown should still be celebrating the Lunar New Year. It always colorful.
    Real Fan since 1958