Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sh!&@t House Luck

Rupp's Runt

Re: Sh!&@t House Luck

My scope is in the morning. I'm already hungry for lunch tomorrow

I just had my last meal for the day. Oreos with milk. Why not... lol

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    My scope is in the morning. I'm already hungry for lunch tomorrow

I just had my last meal for the day. Oreos with milk. Why not... lol
    I know you're old hat with it, but still, good luck and hope it all goes well.

I just finished two pieces of King Cake. FIL brought 3 King Cakes with him when I picked him up in New Orleans last week.

I'm a week behind. Next Tuesday I get the dilation and biopsy. Glad for one, interested in the other.

Rupp's Runt

I'd never heard of King Cake. That sounds amazing.

Fab Five

I'd never heard of King Cake. That sounds amazing.
    Oh my! King Cake is great. I have found a lot of good ones in Birmingham, but the best are baked in NOLA. It seems every workplace here has one. Fantastic! Alabama, Mobile specifically, is home to Mardi Gras.
    Real Fan since 1958

King Cake is the bomb, man. Oh, my is it ridiculously good. Manny Randazzo's makes THE best. If you are ever in New Orleans during Mardi Gras season, that's your go-to. My father-in-law will be 92 years old in May. Last week before we picked him up, he went to Manny Randazzo's at 8 am to stand in line to get a King Cake (it opened at 7), and the line was a block and a half long already. He and my late MIL used to go buy many, and ship them all over the country to their children and grandchildren who lived out of state. They used to send us 3, and they can be frozen, so 2 would be immediately frozen for later occasions.

There are also great ones from other places, but I'll always associate King Cake with Randazzo's.

The rage in New Orleans right now is Dong Phuong King Cake. Dong Phuong is the oldest Vietnamese bakery in New Orleans. After seeing the line, my FIL went to another place that gets various King Cakes from all around delivered fresh every morning, and they sell them at a profit. There was a limit of one Manny Randazzo's, so he picked up a Randazzo's, a Dong Phuong, and I can't remember the 3rd one, because my son left with that one. I'll edit later when I find out. The Dong Phuong one had kind of a cream cheese icing, and the cake was lighter, more "cake-like," I guess. Very good, but not traditional King Cake to me, which has that super sweet icing and the dense, doughy, delicious cake that is perfect for being able to stuff a plastic baby in. I think Dong Phuong makes different types, though, but that's the one we had (and still have a little this morning in the kitchen as I walked by).

I just read an article on January 6 that said that Dong Phuong already had a waiting list nationwide for their 2023 King Cakes, so you were likely out of luck if you wanted one this season. January 6 is when the three kings gathered to visit baby Jesus in the manger, so that is the kickoff for all the King Cake bakeries in New Orleans. Randazzo's is open January 6, but close Fat Tuesday, so they have a less than 2 month year to do all of their business. It carries the family for the entire year. They spend a month before getting everything ready, and spend some time afterward cleaning up everything, making plans for the following year, but basically, they have 8 months off every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    King Cake is the bomb, man. Oh, my is it ridiculously good. Manny Randazzo's makes THE best. If you are ever in New Orleans during Mardi Gras season, that's your go-to. My father-in-law will be 92 years old in May. Last week before we picked him up, he went to Manny Randazzo's at 8 am to stand in line to get a King Cake (it opened at 7), and the line was a block and a half long already. He and my late MIL used to go buy many, and ship them all over the country to their children and grandchildren who lived out of state. They used to send us 3, and they can be frozen, so 2 would be immediately frozen for later occasions.

There are also great ones from other places, but I'll always associate King Cake with Randazzo's.

The rage in New Orleans right now is Dong Phuong King Cake. Dong Phuong is the oldest Vietnamese bakery in New Orleans. After seeing the line, my FIL went to another place that gets various King Cakes from all around delivered fresh every morning, and they sell them at a profit. There was a limit of one Manny Randazzo's, so he picked up a Randazzo's, a Dong Phuong, and I can't remember the 3rd one, because my son left with that one. I'll edit later when I find out. The Dong Phuong one had kind of a cream cheese icing, and the cake was lighter, more "cake-like," I guess. Very good, but not traditional King Cake to me, which has that super sweet icing and the dense, doughy, delicious cake that is perfect for being able to stuff a plastic baby in. I think Dong Phuong makes different types, though, but that's the one we had (and still have a little this morning in the kitchen as I walked by).

I just read an article on January 6 that said that Dong Phuong already had a waiting list nationwide for their 2023 King Cakes, so you were likely out of luck if you wanted one this season. January 6 is when the three kings gathered to visit baby Jesus in the manger, so that is the kickoff for all the King Cake bakeries in New Orleans. Randazzo's is open January 6, but close Fat Tuesday, so they have a less than 2 month year to do all of their business. It carries the family for the entire year. They spend a month before getting everything ready, and spend some time afterward cleaning up everything, making plans for the following year, but basically, they have 8 months off every year.
    Will Manny's accept orders a year in advance for a cake to be frozen and packed in dry ice and shipped out of state? I have never had a taste of the NO King Cake and would like to try it, but am not driving down just to stand in line for a day or two to get one.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I was trying to figure out how they were going to tie that into the King Cake, and that wound up being a gotcha moment for me.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

I know you're old hat with it, but still, good luck and hope it all goes well.
    This poor thread never had a chance.

Fun week. Scope on Wednesday. Wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. Daughter has a friend over tonight...

Was not happy with the scope. This was my first time going to Owensboro. I just got tired of going to Vandy and that Dr. just wanted to stretch every time. This was my first time seeing this doctor as I had been seeing a Nurse practitioner, which I really liked. But the Dr obviously had not looked at my medical history. She stretched me and gave me a prescription for acid reflux and an inhaler that you swallow. Been there done that, it doesn't help me. This was literally my treatment in 2010 as part of a study at Vandy in 2010. Again medical history chart...

Both my allergy doc and the practitioner have talked about newer treatments. I'll take the reflux meds to make my wife happy. But I'm not the inhaler because it does not work and insurance does not pay for it. $125 a month out of my own pocket, nope. Yeah, I'm still grumpy lol

She did put a note on my chart about an injectable medicine called Dupixent. I have a follow up next month with the practitioner. I'll talk to her more then.

Keep us informed. The Duplixent* thing sounds interesting. I'm more or less new (again, I guess) to all of this.

Have my procedure at 6 a.m. tomorrow. Well, 7 a.m., but I have to be there at 6. Bleh. Was scheduled at 9, so they moved it up 2 hours. Guess it's better to get it over with early anyway.

* The always reliable Wikipedia says this about that--"Dupilumab, sold under the brand name Dupixent, is a monoclonal antibody blocking interleukin 4 and interleukin 13, used for allergic diseases such as eczema, asthma and nasal polyps which result in chronic sinusitis. It is also used for the treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis and prurigo nodularis."

Gonna have my first Rooter to Tooter exam at 7:00 am Wed. Given the timing of that, I get to stay up all Tuesday night drinking nasty stuff.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Gonna have my first Rooter to Tooter exam at 7:00 am Wed. Given the timing of that, I get to stay up all Tuesday night drinking nasty stuff.
    That part didn't bother me, but my wife couldn't stand it, and could barely get it down. I didn't think the taste was bad; just goes to show I'm a weird dude, I guess.

Had my dilation this morning and biopsy. Didn't seem that bad; stretched from 15mm to 18. I think they have a "rule of 3" that is all they ever do with one dilation, but as far as I know, that's where it's going to stay, and the 15mm wasn't too bad. She told me 20mm was normal, but in reading around, it looks like 18-20 might be normal, and even lower is ok.

Without getting the lab reports back, she also seemed less positive that EoE was the culprit. Also took some stomach stuff that she thought needed to be looked at, but didn't seem worried about that, just while she was there, might as well kinda stuff.

All in all, a pretty blah experience without a lot of optimism, other than hopefully the stretching alone will be enough for awhile. Will know more when I go back for the follow-up.

Rupp's Runt

Glad it went well. I hope it isn't EoE.

Perhaps Darryl will weigh in on Dupixent at some point.

Rupp's Runt

Have fun. Like Darrell, I didn't mind it. I'm not saying it is enjoyable. But not the worst thing in the world either. Just know that once you start, make sure you are ready to stay inside all evening. At some point, you cannot hold it back

Ah, the night of a thousand waterfalls...
    Prayers for you Brother Dan.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

It’s a lot easier if you stop eating about a day and a half beforehand and just sip Gatorade. Guess it’s too late for that.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

At least the thread is now appropriately named.

Sh!&@t House Luck

At least the thread is now appropriately named.
    Lol. Touche.

Sh!&@t House Luck

Funniest part of my morning?

They first told me I'd be a little disoriented when I left, but it would wear off quickly. I said, so... "normal Tuesday."

They chuckled a bit.

They then said "don't make any legal decisions today."

I said, "Great. I've been looking for a reason to make some illegal decisions!"

They weren't chuckling. They repeated, "no, really, you don't need to make any legal decisions today."

I sighed and said, "OK. But is it OK if I work this afternoon?"

They asked me what I did.

"I'm a lawyer," I deadpanned.

They gave up. "Well, we can't really control what you do after you leave here."

I think they were glad to see me leave.

Oh, I also apparently took a swing at the nurse anesthetist, according to what he told my wife. He said that I took a swing at him and he told me that he wasn't in my house. I guess it was a good thing I wasn't packing.

Waiting for the Darrell pat down!

I laughed about it. I am not a violent person, I promise. I don't know where that came from (and I don't remember any of it.)

Have fun. Like Darrell, I didn't mind it. I'm not saying it is enjoyable. But not the worst thing in the world either. Just know that once you start, make sure you are ready to stay inside all evening. At some point, you cannot hold it back
    My wife had me prepared for some terrible tasting stuff. I Included the lemon flavored packet, got it really cold in the fridge, and like you guys,and did not think it was bad enough to complain about.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

I laughed about it. I am not a violent person, I promise. I don't know where that came from (and I don't remember any of it.)
    Apparently, I fought them once. And I think they just kept knocking me out. To the point, I didn't wake up until the next day. I'm not violate, but in the fight or flight scenario, I tend to fight. So, I probably thought I was fighting off something.

One other time I kept dropping the F bomb. I cuss some, but not a lot. Rarely drop the F bomb.

Sh!&@t House Luck

I cancelled a colonoscopy I had scheduled for next week. After having the shoulder surgery 17 days ago I am unable to lay on left side yet.

Who knew they can’t do a right handed colonoscopy. So now it’s pushed out (pun) until late April.

Oh, and I get to have a kidney stone pulverized via sonar, or voodoo or whatever it is they do.

…been a rough year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I cancelled a colonoscopy I had scheduled for next week. After having the shoulder surgery 17 days ago I am unable to lay on left side yet.

Who knew they can’t do a right handed colonoscopy. So now it’s pushed out (pun) until late April.

Oh, and I get to have a kidney stone pulverized via sonar, or voodoo or whatever it is they do.

…been a rough year.

I've had a few colonoscopies done. I do not remember what side I laid on. Who would have thought that matters?

Another issue I have...had my first kidney stone at 43 on my birthday. Found out that day I have a 2nd one, it is 6mm. 2nd follow up on that is in April, I think? I may have them break it up. I passed a 3mm. Is a 6mm twice as bad? Break it up or pass? Opinions?

Never thought that which side I lay on made a difference but I do remember the nurse telling me to roll over onto my left side which meant I had to roll towards her, and she helped get me started the movement, but I was already close to going under and thinking about it never happened.
    seeya
    dan

Best nap ever!

Sh!&@t House Luck

I've had a few colonoscopies done. I do not remember what side I laid on. Who would have thought that matters?

Another issue I have...had my first kidney stone at 43 on my birthday. Found out that day I have a 2nd one, it is 6mm. 2nd follow up on that is in April, I think? I may have them break it up. I passed a 3mm. Is a 6mm twice as bad? Break it up or pass? Opinions?
    Mine was 9mm and has grown to 11mm since last December… I’m going with treatment. I asked about busting it up and having to deal with passing a bunch of small stones. He was confident that there would mostly be powder left to pass. I’m having a busy year…

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Mine was 9mm and has grown to 11mm since last December… I’m going with treatment. I asked about busting it up and having to deal with passing a bunch of small stones. He was confident that there would mostly be powder left to pass. I’m having a busy year…

Dad has a 9. I've been told a 6 isn't bad and I've been told you can't pass a 6. I'm guessing the truth is in the middle. I won't even try to imagine a 9 or 11 lol