Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sh!&@t House Luck

Friend and working acquaintance’s father who was also my Dr for a bit passed away. My friend called me before the holidays and told me of his passing and told me he’d let me know when and where the arrangements are set… this tells me he wanted me to go.

Anyway, I go and do my due visitation diligence and leave. Get to my car and go to start it and the battery is dead. I don’t really know any of the mourners at the function other than the family members, so I can’t really go in and ask for a jump.

Irony… I have jump box in my trunk that is dead, it can be charged with a 110 outlet, or you can plug in to the car lighter and charge it if your battery isn’t dead.

Luckily a friend of mine lives close by and is going to come by and give my “dead” battery a jump (more irony)… in the funeral home parking lot, while the mourners and well wishers come and go.

…only me.

and maybe Darrell… lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Sh!&@t House Luck

Well, I was was in the hospital til 3am this morning. Does that count?

Food stuck in esophagus. Every 20 years like clockwork (2nd time).

All good, husky voice today and tired. Follow up in 2 weeks to stretch it.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Sh!&@t House Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Been there. My stretch is next month.

changing my signature to change our luck.

Sh!&@t House Luck

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Been there. My stretch is next month.
    Feel for ya (literally). Hang in there. Miserable when it's needed.

Sh!&@t House Luck

Darrell wins again, sort of.

All and all, I’d rather be stranded in the funeral home parking lot than in the hospital….

Feel better, sir.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Sh!&@t House Luck

Was good enough to go to a Friday night wedding and reception for one of my daughter's friends who has adopted us.

My daughter and wife kinda class me up a bit, but I am feeling pretty good. Much better than last night at this time.

What a difference a day makes, huh?

Sh!&@t House Luck

Was good enough to go to a Friday night wedding and reception for one of my daughter's friends who has adopted us.

My daughter and wife kinda class me up a bit, but I am feeling pretty good. Much better than last night at this time.

What a difference a day makes, huh?
    I didn’t know you had two daughters? Where’s the photo you referenced with your wife and daughter? You must have attached the wrong one, those young ladies are head turners.

Rupp's Runt

I think I'll stay on this board for a few days and talk about food stuck in our throat lol

Sh!&@t House Luck

What have you had stuck in your throat?

For me, it's mainly chicken and sometimes rice, but rice eventually goes down. I've had steak get caught but the only two times I required a procedure to get it out (or down) it was chicken.

Rupp's Runt

Chicken! When I have had to go get it out, it has been chicken.

But oddly, I generally swallow chicken better than steak, so I rarely (almost never) eat steak. I may eat a small bite or two of my wife's steak when she gets one. I tend to stay with ground beef and sausage as those are easier to swallow.

I'm not sure how they do it for you, but they haven't went in to get the food. They give some kind of IV and about 45 minutes later my throat relaxes and the food goes down. Sounds great, but that stuff makes me feel like I'm burning from the inside out for about a two minutes.

Sh!&@t House Luck

They x-rayed this time and the GI said don't bother with that. I guess she figured it wouldn't work.

She told me she had to use a "rat claw" to kind of pick at it before it would go down. I pictured in my mind something like pulling pulled pulled pork. Said it was stuck good, but it was soft and just impacted together. Probably because it had been there for about 5-1/2 hours by the time they got it.

I don't really remember that much from the first one or how they got it out. Both times were general anesthesia, though. I have a picture somewhere they made of it. I actually looked for it before I went to the hospital Thursday night in case it had the date or anything on it, but I couldn't find it on my computer.

Funny it's chicken for both of us. I'm like you, I prefer sausage and stuff like that which is easier to chew/swallow. Plus I like the taste lol.

Rupp's Runt

Doughy bread, cheese, and some meats are just difficult. I have something called EoE which is an auto immune disorder. Basically my throat stays swollen and inflamed. Food allergies make it worse, but I'm allergic to tomato, seafood, wheat, dairy, and eggs. Some are fairly minor, but they still make it worse.

Steroids are my friend, but I can't take them as often as I need. So I get an occasional stretch, and often have to get my food unstuck myself. Yes that is as lovely as it sounds lol

Eosinophilic esophagitis

Rupp's Runt

Note: if I ate much steak, I'm confident steak would have been the reason for an ER visit.

Sh!&@t House Luck

Very interesting. 20 or so years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, had bad acid reflux back then anyway, did the dilation, and been on my merry way with only occasional issues that always resolved.

The Doc Thursday night said that she suspected EOE, but they would have to "biopsy" it and it was too irritated. Might have been because it was after midnight by the time she started. (Funny thing - their own nurses were on call and came in. I apologized to them as they didn't leave til almost 3 am, and had to be back at 6, but they said it was OK, they got time and a half. Happy to help).

I'm allergic to shellfish (one of the first dates with my now wife ended in a Kenner, La ER with anaphylaxis reaction from eating shrimp), almost all nuts, oatmeal, sunflower seeds, sunflower oil, peanut butter, you name it. As far as I know, they tested for eggs, though, and I didn't show an allergic reaction to it. Don't know about tomato. So I don't know if that plays into this or not. I was a little out of it recovering from the anesthesia, but my wife said the Doc said it wasn't too narrow, but inflamed, which surprised me. So I haven't been diagnosed with that yet, just suspected.

All I had to eat Thursday were two eggs, a banana and honey sandwich, baked potato, tomato and lettuce salad with fat free Italian dressing, and ONE bite of chicken. Yup, first and only bite of a chicken breast.

So I don't know how all of that works, and maybe Jan 24 when I go back I will learn more. And I may not have that at all. But very interesting to hear of your issue. I'm not sure what I'm rooting for. None of it is good.

My wife and I are having a debate right now about the prilosec she told me to take (40mg daily). I think it's just precautionary until I return, but wife thinks it is permanent. I don't see how a PPI would have any impact over the issue I had - it wasn't GERD/acid reflux, and I don't see the correlation.

20 years ago they put me on prilosec daily "for the rest of my life," but I had bad acid reflux back then.

I lost weight, got more active and stopped taking it for the most part. I keep it around, but it is rare that I have indigestion, so I thought I had licked that part.

I'll give you more of my notes in a couple of weeks. I don't know what I hope it is lol.

And I know exactly what you mean about unsticking yourself. It's just a miserable experience that I hope nobody else has to share. Been there exactly before.

Sh!&@t House Luck

A little more irony, the post I made starting the thread, I mentioned the friend of mine who’s father passed was also my Dr for a while. He was a Dr of internal medicine who diagnosed me years ago with acid reflux and put me on daily Prilosec… he did all of the testing, arthroscopy procedure, along with the dye injection and then they invert you and take X-rays, to eliminate any thing more serious.

I stopped taking daily Prilosec several years ago, and also keep it around for heart burn flare ups. I rarely have heartburn, and is usually associated with fried food.

Rupp's Runt

I've been on acid reflux meds and it has never helped.

The thing with EoE is that a food intolerance can trigger it as much as a food allergy. Dairy and wheat are two of the worst, even if you are not allergic.

If you have it, you will likely be able to tell just with a camera. I guess the biopsy is for confirmation. Your esophagus will be very red with white eosinophils.

Good dose of steroids will help for about 6 months. The asthma inhaler that you are supposed to swallow and not inhale never helped. I recently had a steroid slurry (newer option). It might have helped some, but one round didn't do a lot for me. But if that is something I can take monthly or so? Then maybe. I think I'll find out more about that next month as well.

Note that doctors seem to know very little about how to fix it. I've seen 3 GI, one allergy doctor, and my primary care. None of them really agree.

Sh!&@t House Luck

…I also might add, I took my battery to get checked , it’s at 90%, and the alternator is fine.

While driving home after the event I noticed my headlight switch was not on “auto”, I think I left my lights on.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    …I also might add, I took my battery to get checked , it’s at 90%, and the alternator is fine.

While driving home after the event I noticed my headlight switch was not on “auto”, I think I left my lights on.

I hope so. Batteries these days can go out without much warning. And they can be expensive and hard to replace.

Sh!&@t House Luck

Sounds like a one-off. Hopefully that's the case. I've always heard that you can't let them go dead too much before they need replacing, but what do I know? I can't replace memory in a Palm Pilot.

Sh!&@t House Luck

I’m going to keep the jump box charged and in the vehicle…or I might just go ahead and change the dang battery.

Rupp's Runt

Darrell, I suspect this thread will fade away but come back and update us. I'll be curious on what they find out.

I will. I'm sorry you have this, but it is good to talk to someone else who suffers from it and may be able to give me some advice.

I go next week and will just take it from there.

I’m going to keep the jump box charged and in the vehicle…or I might just go ahead and change the dang battery.

I don't do much with cars, but there are 4 things I'm pretty decent with.

1. Getting good tires. I like them keeping me on the road. Right after my wife and I were married, I had to go from New Orleans to Lafayette, La. for something. The interstate was wet, and my tires were bad. I was driving, umm, a speed that probably exceeded the speed limit. All of a sudden, my car started spinning in circles, hydroplaning, and there was nothing I could do. It came to a stop on soft marshy ground about 100 feet short of a bayou. They had to get police out to stop the interstate while a tow truck driver pulled me out. Shook me up quite a bit, so I try to get good tires.

2. Replace battery as soon as it has any difficulty. Just too cheap not to do that. Even (for my cars) an expensive battery of $200, over 2, 3 or 4 years, is darn cheap.

3. Get oil changed when recommended. I go to a place that checks the car every time for everything. Sure, it has resulted in my infamous "$3,000 oil change," but it keeps the car in good working order. I have (edit-with wife/kids) a 1997 Jeep, a 2007 Nissan Sentra, a 2007 Honda CRV, a 2009 Honda Odyssey, a 2009 Lexus GX 470, a 2012 Hyundai Accent, and a 2016 Honda CRV, and I attribute the old cars still perking along to the fact that the oil is changed at a place that looks everything over every time.

4. Get brakes done when recommended. If the tires keep the car on the road, the brakes stop it when needed. Both are safety features; everything else is just convenience/inconvenience/or money. Brakes and tires are my non-negotiables (although it took a scary incident for me to realize that many years ago).

Just catching up on this part of the board, so just reading this.

First, Darrell glad you're OK, and hope the diagnosis/prognosis is good. Sorry anyone has something like EoE which sounds completely awful.

Selfishly I'm going to read this as well b/c my GF has something not unsimilar going on and remains undiagnosed. 30 years ago she was "diagnosed" with a hernia, supposedly a large one. I pushed her to revisit that and she had another upper done. Guess what? No hernia. Well, a very small place not where she has troubles, but clearly it's something else.

So we are on the hunt to figure out her issues, and these aren't all that far from them, but I don't think it's an allergy. At this point I'm not closing off options though.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Sh!&@t House Luck

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Just catching up on this part of the board, so just reading this.

First, Darrell glad you're OK, and hope the diagnosis/prognosis is good. Sorry anyone has something like EoE which sounds completely awful.

Selfishly I'm going to read this as well b/c my GF has something not unsimilar going on and remains undiagnosed. 30 years ago she was "diagnosed" with a hernia, supposedly a large one. I pushed her to revisit that and she had another upper done. Guess what? No hernia. Well, a very small place not where she has troubles, but clearly it's something else.

So we are on the hunt to figure out her issues, and these aren't all that far from them, but I don't think it's an allergy. At this point I'm not closing off options though.
    You live in Lexington right? Cincinnati is a leader in EoE for kids. So probably adults as well. If it goes that direction.

It is traditionally more common in kids.

Sh!&@t House Luck

I have my dilation and biopsy scheduled end of next month. Fortunately, they can do it at the same time. They dilate with a balloon that misses the point where they biopsy. She wanted it to heal up perfectly, and told me to go ahead and stop prilosec, which I don't think I needed anyway.

Rupp's Runt

My next scope is Feb 22

Fab Five

What have you had stuck in your throat?

For me, it's mainly chicken and sometimes rice, but rice eventually goes down. I've had steak get caught but the only two times I required a procedure to get it out (or down) it was chicken.
    Chicken can be bad. Wash your rice before you cook it. I rinse mine with water 3 to 5 times through a strainer. It removes starch. Boil covered for 15 minutes. Remove from burner. Lift lid and place a clean kitchen towel over pot and replace lid. Let it sit for 15 more minutes. Rice is fluffy and pretty well separated into individual grains. It is the best rice ever. I have’t had a throat problem eating it in years. Try it. I promise you will notice a difference.

I am prone to throat problems with certain foods and always associate the problems with stickiness and dryness.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Chicken can be bad. Wash your rice before you cook it. I rinse mine with water 3 to 5 times through a strainer. It removes starch. Boil covered for 15 minutes. Remove from burner. Lift lid and place a clean kitchen towel over pot and replace lid. Let it sit for 15 more minutes. Rice is fluffy and pretty well separated into individual grains. It is the best rice ever. I have’t had a throat problem eating it in years. Try it. I promise you will notice a difference.

I am prone to throat problems with certain foods and always associate the problems with stickiness and dryness.
    I missed this, Mick. I'll relay that to my wife. If that's the case, maybe I can eat some rice at home at least. I'll cook the rice if she won't.

I have such allergies and food intolerances it may not have to do with that as much as something else I ate inflamed the passageway. Who knows? I did a scratch test at Alabama Allergy down 280 two years ago and "hit" on 61 of the 64 things they tested me on, to varying degrees from "you'll get a rash" to a "you'll die with a rash," so it could be some combination, too.

Still looking forward to the dilation. It will be interesting to see if they confirm (or reject) the EoE diagnosis, too. I really don't fit the typical patient with it, so it may not be the case, either. I really hope it's not the case, as it seems to be a pain in the rear to figure out what food(s) could cause the issue, as I understand it could be weeks or months beforehand that you ate the food before it starts an issue.