Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Best Mid size suv?

Best Mid size suv?

My company is scrapping their lease plan and moving to an allowance for company vehicles and my old car Is going to be scrapped soon. Wanting a mid size awd suv that combines rugged and luxury a bit. Any advice? I really like the Kia telluride so am going to find one nearby to test drive. I drove the higher end explorer today and I liked it but it has a turbocharged 4 which seems light. I looked at four runners a while but they’re a bit outdated compared to what you can get for the money and don’t think will ride as well on the road trips. Really don’t want to spend more than 50K. Honestly after 18 years of company lease cars and buying about ten used cars for our personal I really want to treat myself to a new car, esp since the value of used is so high and dropping. Any advice is appreciated.
    Go Cats!

Re: Best Mid size suv?

We purchased a Land Rover Discovery Sport this weekend Absolutely love it. It is an upgrade from the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that we donated to my son. The issue with it is not inexpensive, especially service.

Daughter has the Mazda, and has had great luck with it. Avoid the VW Tourage. Heard nothing good. Also avoid Jeep except the Wrangler line. Even Jeep service people will tell you that
    Last edited by Doc; 11-10-2022 at 06:56 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Hard to beat Toyotas and Hondas for reliability. I want our next vehicle to be a Highlander. Mrs. BEvans wants a CRV, so 3 guesses as to which will be our next vehicle.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 11-11-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Best Mid size suv?

We currently have two Honda CRVs, a really old Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Lexus GX470, and if I include my daughter, a Hyundai Palisade and a Mazda CX some number. Probably really lucky, but every one has been a great car and given us years of reliable service (except my daughter's, just because they are newer). Have had a lot better fortune with SUVs than sedans. I'll be in the market soon, so I'm very interested in the choice you make and all you consider.

My wife’s last two vehicles have been Honda CRVs. Those things can take some abuse lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    My wife’s last two vehicles have been Honda CRVs. Those things can take some abuse lol.
    After renting one and driving it 2,000 miles in one week a few weeks ago, I'm a fan, too. My son and daughter's are both older ones, 2007 and 2016, but been super reliable. Probably not what Padukacat is after, and wasn't really my target either, but I'd consider one for me when I begin looking. It would be in the lineup for sure.

Rupp's Runt

Love our Ford Edge. My parents love theirs also.

It isn't rugged, but it is AWD and performs very well in the snow. Wife got it off the road in about 8 inches of snow and I was able to get it out. Drives and rides well, it has made several trips to Florida.

I used to put 50,000 miles plus per year on a personal vehicle mileage charged back to the company I worked for, and I wore out 3 Ford Explorers and am still driving the 4th one albeit a lot less miles per day/week/ month, for personal travel and it just clicked over 172,137 miles. All 4 of them have had the same 4wd/awd tranny and motor. Motoris the 3.0 liter, fuel injected, naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. 22 mpg was good for my lead foot, and I only had one "serious issue" with any of the 4 and that was I blew up a tranny driving in the eastern TN mountains.

They have had good towing capacity, great acceleration, for an SUV, on the open road, and wonderful traction in lots of different road conditions. I spent 5 winters in Michigan, PA, New York and North Ohio, and I never found any snow cover that it would not handle including the huge snow loads around Erie, PA, and Buffalo/Rochester NY. I never tried to do anything stupid, but none of them ever left me stranded anywhere.

I loved all of them. Great visibility all the way around, really comfortable for 6 passengers, and lots of room in the rear with rear seat folded up, best turning radius of any vehicle I have ever driven.

Highly recommended
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 11-11-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Visibility is a thing. A lot of the new SUVs have pinched down windows.

Fab Five

The Telluride is sweet. Very underrated vehicle. I would certainly give it a hard look.
    Real Fan since 1958

I ended up getting the telluride ex x line in dark moss with black interior. Never seen it in person so hopefully I like it. The 2023 has the digital dash it’s pretty irresistible. I did drive a 21 and it felt great, very solid driving like a Honda. Not super luxurious but I think the 23 will be better from what I can tell. I found a dealer in Knoxville after about 25 calls to discuss some I liked and wanted to negotiate. They were the only dealer that didn’t stick to the min 5k over Msrp that Kia is requiring on 23s so that used have value. They don’t call them sellurides for nothing, I literally was told by three dealers they were currently selling or had just sold the car. I was calling from Tampa to Chicago, and good ole rocky top came through lol. Heading to get it Wednesday so I’m pretty pumped.
    Go Cats!