Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Beginner golf club recommendations

Mrs. BEvans has the golf bug and plays a lot. I played for the first time recently with her at a pitch and putt and it wasn't the most horrible thing in the world. I think I'm now required by my matrimonial bonds to pick up the game, so I'm thinking about geting a first set of clubs.

I don't think I'm anywhere near ready to get a fitting for a good set of clubs. I barely know what I'm doing and probably need to take some lessons (a lesson?) and go from there. I'm guessing a used set would be the way to go, but not sure how to begin that search. FB Marketplace yields a wide variety of choices and the quality is a question mark (I can't stress enough that I don't know what I'm doing).

Appreciate any thoughts y'all may have.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Beginner golf club recommendations

Well, I've been playing for nearly 50 years, albeit infrequently in recent years, and played on a poor high school golf team, but tried to take it seriously. Daughter also played on her high school golf team, both sons played (one briefly, the other plays more than I do now, but not often). So here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth. (Warning, I suspect I will get long-winded here, because you can talk forever about golf equipment.)

- No problem with getting used clubs. They'll be used when you play with them anyway. Look them over carefully to make sure they don't show signs of abuse, though, the shafts not bent, etc.

- I've purchased many sets of golf clubs, from youth sets to ladies sets to men's sets. As far as I know, I only made one mistake. When my youngest son was playing a little, I got him a couple of lessons before he screwed up his swing too badly. The pro chewed me out (nicely, of course), because he's 6'3 and playing with a regular set of clubs had his swing plane all wrong. We fixed it with a set of irons that was 2" longer, and an angle that was 2 degrees different. But if you are "standard" sized--and you can google it, but I'd guess 5'9-6'1 or so--a regular set would be fine. The woods--driver, etc. really don't matter as much, but the irons are critical that they fit. (And those comments are directly from the golf pro himself).

- If you are naturally a strong swinger--and I'd probably go to a Dick's Golf store or something similar, pick up their clubs and swing it on their machines, and find out how many mph your swing is--you may need to look for stiff shafts, rather than regular. Regular is fine for most people. Most males don't need a "senior" flex until well into senior years. I have always had a slow swing, but I'm not even close to benefitting from a "senior" flex.

- Recommend steel shafts, rather than graphite for the irons. Not only more durable (especially important if buying used), but will keep the ball straighter generally. Direction, rather than distance, is where it is at for everybody even though people get all macho about how far they hit a 7-iron or whatever. Big whoop if it's 30 yards into the lake. Take a 5 or 6-iron and hit it in the fairway same distance.

- While I don't think you need the latest and greatest clubs, even used clubs, I think it's very important to have cavity back irons that are somewhat recent (within the last 20 years is ok), and the driver should be even more recent. I play with Callaway X-12 irons that are ancient in terms of golf technology (literally came out nearly 25 years ago), and other than *maybe* 5 yards less distance, they are as forgiving as anything made today, and feel great when hit. Here's an article on a test done recently with those "ancient" irons:

https://southamptongolfclub.com/are-...ns-still-good/

Again, you can find good used clubs from Titleist, Nike, Ping, you name it, but just be careful to do your research when you see a set advertised. For example, Ping makes a bunch of different color dot irons -- Ping Blue dot, White, Red, Green, etc. Make sure it "fits" you if you buy those.

You can do a "rough" Ping fitting yourself and get the irons that fit you with their online graph things, such as this one:

https://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/...-colour-chart/

Other general comments:

For the driver/woods, this is where you do want graphite shafts. They are longer, and the graphite shaft will be lighter and you can swing it faster. I'm good with steel shaft in non-driver "woods," but just bear in mind that you likely will lose a little distance with steel shaft (Again, I have an old Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3-wood and a Heaven 7-wood in my bag that I'm not interested in trading because I hit them relatively straight.)

Oh--and your woods and your irons do not have to match, but your irons should match each other. Except for the Wedges, which can be independent from the other irons lol.

You can have 14 clubs, although I don't think you need that many to begin with (not sure anybody not playing for money really needs that many, but I digress). If I were picking out clubs for a beginner, this is what I'd recommend:

Driver.
    3, 4 or 5 wood.
    Depending on what you chose there, a 3 or 4 hybrid. It's a little like a "mini-wood," sort of a cross between a wood and an iron
    5 hybrid
    6, 7, 8, 9, PW - all from the same iron set
    Gap wedge, Sand wedge
    Putter

That's it. Those are the 12 clubs I'd recommend. Of course, if you found a set of clubs on Facebook Marketplace for $100, and it didn't match up with that, but the clubs were good--I'd recommend that in a heartbeat. You might find a set of irons being 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, SW, and that would be fine, but long irons, such as the 3-iron and 4-iron, are difficult to hit for beginners. Hybrids are much easier.

If you were going to add clubs, you MIGHT choose a lob wedge--some people swear by them, others curse them. And one other longer club, such as maybe a 7-wood, or another hybrid.

Do not get anything super old and think it will be ok to play with. It won't. I watch golf videos a lot (I love Rick Shiels, a British golf pro who is "one of us," and may shoot 74 or 90, depending on the day.) Shiels often takes different clubs and plays with them and gives you his advice. For example, he bought a complete set from Costco--I can't recall the brand--and he recommended it. Compared it with his clubs, and yes, it lost a little, but not enough to warrant a beginner spending $1200 more or whatever. But if you buy woods that are, well, wooden, you're cheating yourself. It's harder to hit, it's shorter, and you won't enjoy it as much.

Get a 460cc driver--largest legal head allowed under current PGA rules--and give yourself the most forgiveness you can.

Women's clubs are the same, but be sure and buy women's clubs, not men's and think they'll work--unless your wife is more in line with a strong man, size-wise and strength-wise. It will be frustrating, the clubs will be too heavy, and she won't enjoy it as much.

I wouldn't go "hunting" on Facebook Marketplace for a particular brand, but be very careful and when you see it, google it. You can usually tell if it's a "buy" or a "stay away" easy enough. Or get the ones from Costco, brand new with warranties, bag, head covers, and even a putter in a box.

Bunch of articles on internet about "best used golf clubs" as well. Typically these will focus more on more recent clubs, but they can still be kinda pricey. Still, a good source.

You'll need a putter--the club you'll use more than any other when you play. Usually mallet head putters are recommended for beginners, with more forgiveness for off-center putts, and you see plenty of pros using them as well, and they play for money, so, you know...Having said that, putting is unique to each individual, and what feels good to you, what you can see well, align well, feels good off the putter head, is the "best" putter of choice. But you have to start somewhere (you might want to go over to another sporting good store and practice with their putters. Odyssey is a really good brand with mallet heads, and good inserts in the head to make the ball feel soft when you putt it.) But other brands are good, too.

Last thought I have -- when you start playing, play from forward tees. I'm not a good golfer, but I played high school golf, played in a nationwide tournament years ago at Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay and Ole Del Monte in California, and often played from the back tees. Even when playing "for fun" I'd play from the 2nd tees.

When my youngest son took up the game, we went to the senior tees (2nd most forward) as a way to shorten the holes and make it more fun for him to play. Turns out, it was more fun for me to play, too. Didn't always have to hit a driver off the tee. Didn't have to hit a long iron into a long par 4. When you start making more pars than anything else, maybe then move back a little. Or don't. Golf is supposed to be enjoyed. Took me a long time to realize that it wasn't just another 4-letter word.

Smile Re: Beginner golf club recommendations

Only things to add

1) I would get new clubs over used. If you don't know what you are looking for you can end up with a warp or twisted club. An inexpensive starter set won't set you back much, then upgrade as you improve. Me, I suck but am at the point should upgrade off of my original set.

2) most important club is you ball retriever. Get the ball out of the water and shrubs. I use a flourscent head one as its easier to see underwater. Its my most used club
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Do you want to get clubs that are forgiving. So if you’re going to buy used clubs make sure they are not one of the best sets that are made for better golfers. I know at our club I can find a set of clubs that are only a year or two old but they are the Titleist T 100s that are designed for a better golfer Because that golfer wants to upgrade his irons more often. If it was me I would maybe look at rock bottomgolf.com and see if there any open box specials. You could also go to one of your local golf courses and see if they have a demo set on sell. Calloway has some decent beginner sets as does ping and others. If you have a Costco they will have a full set for sale for around $500

I would recommend a cavity back that is a beginner more forgiving club with a larger face. Calloway and ping are good options but maybe not the cheapest. I would go to a golf store and not a big box store because they will have more options. Pick three sets you like the look of, hit the wedge, 8i, and 4i and get the set that feels the best to you. If you can find a simulator that tells you distance and alignment it really helps see the difference. Alternate between the three sets by hitting a few balls of the same iron but different brand and set them aside by rank. Go through each iron a few times. Combine feel with what simulator tells you and that’s your set. Then go to the range and hit them like crap and wonder if you chose wrong. Lol this was my method and I think it worked well. I chose a ping over a titleist even though I was dying to get the titleist. The ping was incredible feeling and I hit the ball much cleaner and ten yards larger. Weird cause I’ve played for years.
    Go Cats!

I drew endless grief whenever I showed up with my first set even though I had the help of a pro picking out something in my price range. They worked for me. 4 or 5 lessons were also worth every penny.

I obviously came to the right place for advice! Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'm going to look at this more this weekend.

The problem with me trying out a set of clubs is I've never taken a lesson and the last round I played at the pitch and putt was my first, so I don't really know how to swing a club right yet. I guess it's like someone getting their learners permit and going out to buy their first car.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and should just rent clubs until I actually have a clue. But the cheapo in me hates to throw away money on rentals that could be going to a starter set.

Thanks again.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    But the cheapo in me hates to throw away money on rentals that could be going to a starter set.
    Many many many years ago, I used to shoot mid 80s with a cheap set of Dunlap. Don't get something you have never heard of because they cost $109 at Walmart. But the high-end sets are not for beginners. And most people swinging the expensive clubs don't really need to be swinging them. Personally, if you know you are going to play. Go with a trusted name brand on the lower end of cost and that are more forgiving to swing. I haven't played in years so I can't really give specific advice on models and brands these days.

I obviously came to the right place for advice! Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'm going to look at this more this weekend.

The problem with me trying out a set of clubs is I've never taken a lesson and the last round I played at the pitch and putt was my first, so I don't really know how to swing a club right yet. I guess it's like someone getting their learners permit and going out to buy their first car.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and should just rent clubs until I actually have a clue. But the cheapo in me hates to throw away money on rentals that could be going to a starter set.

Thanks again.
    Actually are at the perfect spot to invest in some lessons with a pro. You have no bad habits to break.

Maybe call to pros who are giving lessons and spend $250 on a 3-5 lessons and let him look at your swing. Before you choose the pro, call and ask what brands they sell? You want one with multiple brands he can sell. The more brands the more clubs he can let you test.

The advice above is very good. You want a deep cavity back iron with likely a senior flex shaft (also more forgiving). Ping, Calloway, Titleist and Taylormade all make some. I would not invest in a new driver. People upgrade every 2-3 years and you can pick a used one up that is 2-3 years old for $150. I would choose rescue/hybrids for my 3 and 5 wood if I were you. Just more forgiving and really not giving up that much distance as a beginner.

So, Irons look for a PW-5 Iron, Get a 3 Hybrid and 4 Hybrid, then a used driver.

As I said above, many people get new sets for Christmas and many golf course pro shops may have used or demo sets they let go cheaper. Find the pro for lessons and he will have ideas.

Finally, one other thought. Many local clubs have a member or player that makes clubs. These can be a very affordable option and they are new and you are not paying for brand names. My first set were Ping Eye 2 knockoffs...and worked really well for a beginner.

Finally, and I mentioned this earlier, Costco has complete sets this time of year from Calloway for about $600-$700

Beginner golf club recommendations

Man, if you were around here, I'd say go pick these irons up for $129, grab a Titleist Sand wedge, Nike driver from a few years ago, a 3 wood, hybrid and putter and call it good.

This is older technology, but they will feel great and likely have better control than anything you buy new now.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH

So I ended up getting a set of used Cleveland clubs from golfroots.com for about $350. A set of Cleveland Hibore 3 irons 3-SW, Launcher 11.5 degree driver, 15 and 19 degree woods, a Cleveland 60 degree wedge (which I'm told I can just set aside and not look at for awhile!) and an Odyssey 5500 blade putter. A colleague has the Hibores and recommended them, especially for a beginner.

Now for lessons....

Rupp's Runt

a Cleveland 60 degree wedge (which I'm told I can just set aside and not look at for awhile!)
    Probably so, it is a hard club to learn. But do learn how to use it. I will say, I picked up on it pretty quick once I got one. But I had been playing a few months before I used it, but it often became a go to club for me.

Wasn't familiar with those clubs, but looked them up on a couple of golf review sites (I'm a sucker for those) and they rated very highly for large sweet spots and ease of hitting. They are a little more "hybrid-y" it appears, which is usually good (they'll look a little thicker than other irons). I think you made a good choice.

What shafts did you get? Steel or graphite? Senior flex, Regular, stiff shaft, extra stiff, etc.? That's the only thing I would have been concerned with to make sure you got something that fit. You don't want something that is too "whippy," nor do you want something that swings like a board.

Worst case scenario, you can get a golf shop to swap out new shafts to something you like better, IF they don't work out for you. I had a driver once that I bought thinking that I'd like the extra stiff shaft on it--it swung horribly for me, at my swing speed. Spent $500 for the driver (I had a gift certificate from a golf tournament), and liked the driver fine, but had a pro recommend a different shaft for me. Bought the shaft, had it replaced, boom, happy with the driver.

EDIT...on your putter and 60 degree wedge...and one other comment. (All of these comments relate to after you've been playing for awhile, and possibly making adjustments to your golf weapons.)

I like the Odyssey Dual Force putters. I have the 660 (I think you have the 550) and the Rossie II mallet. Putters are so individualized that you will enjoy playing around with different ones, but you have to start somewhere, and that's a very solid choice with decent alignment to help.

Many players, as they get older, prefer a mallet. It is inherently more stable than a blade, and the sweet spot is bigger. That goes for PGA professionals as well as we amateurs. (Nick Faldo won the Masters in 1996 with the Rossie II. I'm not saying that's why I bought mine...lol). Just something to keep in mind. But there are others that love a blade for their lifetime. Individualized.

Also, if you hang around a pro shop or a sporting goods store that has putters and a putting green, like a Dick's Sporting Goods--try out a putter with an oversized grip. I don't have that--yet--but I'm going to change to one with that. It helps stabilize the putter and keeps the grip from moving ever so slightly in your hand.

I have a much different view on a 60-degree wedge. I can lay the 56-degree open and do anything the 60 can do. With my 14-club selection, I prefer an attack wedge, or gap wedge. My pitching wedge is 48 degrees; my sand wedge 56. I have a 52-degree gap wedge that fits beautifully between those two. Other players may have better distance control than I do, and no real gap between the 48 and the 56 degree wedges.

Many pros carry 4 wedges (and almost all of them have a 60-degree, or something close to it.) So my view is definitely different.

At some point, I'm going to take out my 3-iron and 4-iron out of my bag. When I do, the 60-degree may go back in, along with another hybrid. If you are hitting your mid-irons, 5-6-7 pretty well, but not the 3-iron and 4-iron, don't despair. Pull those out of your bag, replace them with hybrids (you may not need to do so because of the irons you selected, but still...)

Excited for you. Such a fun time.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 11-30-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks guys. The shafts are graphite, regular flex. I tried to stay away from stiff or extra stiff.

I barely know how to hold a putter, but I think that'll probably be the club I replace first. Mrs. BEvans has a mallet putter with an oversize grip and it felt more comfortable. I appreciate the recommendations on putters to look at, and plan on taking some lessons and talking with a pro about it.

I didn't mention that the set also includes a "D Wedge," which apparently is like a gap wedge?

I also need to get a bag. Any brands to look for/avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

At some point, I'm going to take out my 3-iron and 4-iron out of my bag. When I do, the 60-degree may go back in, along with another hybrid. If you are hitting your mid-irons, 5-6-7 pretty well, but not the 3-iron and 4-iron, don't despair. Pull those out of your bag, replace them with hybrids (you may not need to do so because of the irons you selected, but still...)

Excited for you. Such a fun time.

I have a 4 iron but swap it out with my 58degree dependent on course. I mostly use it as a low degree blade to punch out from trees. I have a 3 rescue and 4 rescue I much prefer.

One other thought for you JSRBevans, consider doing what Bryson DeChambeau does, at least with your irons. All shafts the same length. This would allow you to "groove" a single swing and not having to adjust your swing for club length and only think about where the ball is in your stance.