Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: The Aubrey-Maturin books, Audible, and your choices

The Aubrey-Maturin books, Audible, and your choices

In the interest of impressing with my appearance of literacy, I mention that I have been listening, on Audible, to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series of "Hornblower for adults" nautical novels of 18th-19th century British Navy novels.

I read several, through "The Fortune of War" my personal favorite. Master and Commander is a good starter, Post Captain enough to never want to read another again.

So skip the 2nd one maybe.

The movie was excellent, and a combination of several themes from several books. A rousing movie, really. Compared to the books, full of action. The books really go into every bit of life in Britain and the Navy. Lots of food descriptions, maybe not as intrusive as George RR Martin's, and plenty of alcohol, two very flawed protagonists, well drawn and unending descriptions of internal dialogue.

I don't want to recommend them. Just say I'm listening to them. My eyes needing drops to reduce eye pressure and with the crusty lenses of an old guy living high in the Rockies most of his life.

Does anyone spend their hard earned money of the Audible versions of "books on tape"? I have listened to a few Reachers, read all, some of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels, (awesome TV show) and various others, all of Martin's fantasy, listened to on road trips back and forth to parents duties back in the day, nothing like 36 hours a trip to suck up a giant book, etc.

And how about you? Short stories by Stephen King and other authors I've mentioned work well. I listen to WEB Griffin when fishing with my veteran close friend, to which he is partial.

Also, read or listened to all the Craig Johnson Longmire novels, all the Vince Flynn novels too.

i find listening to audible while puttering or even working in the garage, walking, hiking, exercising, even watching sports, more enjoyable than most other entertainment options. Any other "readers" listening to Audible out there, now that we are getting older?

Re: The Aubrey-Maturin books, Audible, and your choices

I'm in a death match with Audible right now. We have a plan where we get 1 credit each month for $15. I really like it but we've fallen behind on using our credits.

We'd probably cancel (we can get a lot of good audiobooks through our local libraries) but if we cancel we lose our credits, and that's too much $ for me to just forfeit. Meanwhile another month comes up and we get another credit. We finally saw that we could pause our membership for 90 days, plan on using all the credits during that time and then cancel.

My favorite audiobooks are Hollywood memoirs and biographies. Some of my favorites:

--I Remember Me by Carl Reiner;

--All About Me by Mel Brooks;

--The Splendid And The Vile by Erik Larson;

--It's A Long Story by Willie Nelson;

--But Enough About Me by Burt Reynolds;

--Grant by Ron Chernow

I loved the Master & Commander movie and tried to start the O'Brien series, but I'm sorry to say it seemed really thick and I dropped it. Maybe if I try again I'll get more out of it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I paused but there are 19 novels in the series...and there is your best shot to use your credits, find a series and then pause or stop your subscription. Because they expire, too! (Dang fine print!) I wonder if you can donate to the library?

I have “Based on a True Story” which is late comedian Norm MacDonald’s autobiography. But I am not strong in the non fiction section.

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19