Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Fab Five

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

Died today at age of 87. The Rockabilly star was a wildman, known for his recording of Great Balls of Fire. One of the best entertainers of all time.

He had two celebrity cousins, Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart. He was also married to another cousin.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 10-28-2022 at 12:12 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Re: RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

Wouldn't you love to have been a fly on the wall at the jam sessions those old boys had in their childhood...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

It's interesting to me the perception that in days gone by and in the South in particular that marrying a cousin or someone very young was more acceptable. It wasn't. it basically ruined his career.

Great entertainer. Not without his real troubles, but a great entertainer.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Met him as nine or ten year old in the hallway of an armory building. I was blocking his way through double doors to the stage. I quickly stepped aside and he continued. Didn’t speak to me as the awe on my face was bound to have shook him. There was an aura surrounding him that to this day I’ve never seen again.

And he seemed somewhat melancholy. Even to a kid.

Man he could sing too. Performed by himself. I still feel honored to have been there. A superstar among superstars.

https://youtu.be/XEu28N2TINo
    Last edited by kingcat; 10-28-2022 at 08:53 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Guy was definitely a Rockabilly legend.
    MOLON LABE!

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

We’ve lost another true legend… RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

My wife pointed out to me Jerry didn’t release over the rainbow until 1980.

But I will always be quite certain he sang it that night. Being about the only kid there I always thought maybe he sang it for me…but in hindsight, maybe his young wife. This was around 1965.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

RIP!

I have a Jerry story that I always get a chuckle when I think about it.

It was my first few months living in Chicago, having moved there after graduating from UK.

My first apartment was right next door to Wrigley Field, just a block west of Addison/Racine.

Jerry Lee was playing a show at the Cubby Bear right there in that corner. It was my birthday. The morning of the show, I was walking to the train to go to work, probably around 5:30 a.m. or so, right by the bar’s parking lot, and Lewis was standing by the only car in the lot, just hanging out. I think he was having a smoke.

I never really saw people on a weekday that early in the morning, so as I was walking by and looked up and saw him, I was a little surprised and even more when I recognized him.

We both looked at each other with a look like, what are you doing here?, we both nodded waved hello and went on our way.

I was still half way asleep, but as I woke up a little more while riding the train, I just laughed and thought about the fact that I just saw Jerry Lee Louis hanging out in a bar parking lot by himself about 16 hours before his show was to start. I knew I wasn’t in KY any more.