Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For BigSky: Dead & Co Final Tour and Other Musings

For BigSky: Dead & Co Final Tour and Other Musings

Hey BigSky, are you going to see any shows on the "Final Tour"?

The ticket purchasing process was pure insanity, as well as the reactions in the Facebook groups. I got really lucky when they added a 3rd show at Oracle Park in San Fran. I missed out on the tickets the first go around, but luckily, I had some friends that had an extra pre-presale code (just saying that is ridiculous) and I was able to pick up 4 field seats, for which I immediately flipped one for a Saturday night ticket. I'll look to get anything else once the madness stops and people's plans change. I'm less into the "final show" hype than I am getting back to SF for the 1st time since I moved East to visit my brother and family.

It'll be some firsts for me. Seeing the guys in SF, and I got a 3-day pass for Boulder. I haven't been to Colorado in 30 years and can't wait to get back. I'm rounding out my tour with a stop in Philly on the way up to Saratoga Springs for 2 shows at the SPAC. I'll try to do the hometown show, but even that has sold out for regular tickets.

I'm also excited for the 10th anniversary at the Capitol theater for JRAD. 3 night pass for that. I'll be seeing them here in DC in a couple of weeks. Have Philly tickets the night before, but I'm going to sell those and taking the wife and dog for a little getaway in Richmond so we can catch the Last Waltz w/Warren Haynes and crew.

But, the best thing lately was the Bob Weir and Wolf Bros with the National Symphony Orchestra. Did all 4 nights of that. It was spectacular! Night 1, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, especially when Bobby sang the most touching version of Days Between. No band, but him just singing over the orchestra. The emotions were thick. You could just feel the presence of all the guys, especially Jerry. Bobby mentioned each night that a full orchestra backing up is how they always heard the songs. On the final night, the orchestra left and the Wolf Bros w/ Wolf Pack played the entire Terrapin Suite as the encore.

While Dead & Co may be moving on, it's going to be exciting for what's next. Bobby already said he's planning more orchestral shows, so it sounds like he's going to focus on Wolf Bros. Billy has said numerous times that he's looking forward to playing with the Kids more, which I hope that includes Billy Strings again. Mayer has said that he's immersed in song writing, but has some "projects" in the works that he'll announce soon. Gotta think one of those includes something new in our universe.

Going to be a big '23 and beyond! The Music Never Stops!!

Re: For BigSky: Dead & Co Final Tour and Other Musings

No. I do not like big shows. I have a bit of a skeptical eye towards, no, trust me, this is really, really the last tour. The drummers drive me away.

I will watch some of the shows on a couch tour.

Saw the Wolf Bros in Missoula and did not enjoy. The entire Terrapin Suite would be great and the one time at the spring equinox shows in winterland, 1977 I heard the "at a siding" middle part it was very good.

Bob's Days Between or Jerry's Days Between is a discussion. Generally, Jerry sings it as a person who looked and felt 80 even if he really was 56 and was beat down by his life. Bob sings it as a man still hale who remembers his life with all the emotions, pride and wistful nostalgia both. Both give the song the emotion it deserves, and using a voice to present emotions and well written lyrics is not something I run across much anymore.

I wish you joy at your touring. It sounds like a lot of fun.

John Mayer's duo with Bob showed me how John could take a band in his direction. I suspect he'd attract a key player or two. His grasp of music itself, theory and musicianship, and his playing are all first class. His songwriting needs a poet. The contributions of Robert Hunter in particular to the longevity of the Dead's music can't be overestimated.

I want them to release "Tales of the Great Rum Runners" again so I can pick up a tune or three. "Does God look down on the boys in the bar room, mainly forsaken but surely not judged..."?

Surely not.

Totally agree with you on the Days Between and your thoughts on Mayer, especially needing a poet.

Not sure if you saw his IG post this week about what’s next (although I think he was more so targeting his solo fans), but there was a bit of a cryptic message to us Deadheads about future project. Mayer chooses his words very carefully when he speaks (a reason why I love to hear him talk music), and his sentence that he’s “grateful…beyond description…” emphasized to me that he’s got some plans in the universe. I’m still looking for the makeup show of PhilRad ft. Mayer.

Some insider rumors has Mayer putting together a band and continuing on. He can pluck guys from his solo band that loves the Dead (Isaiah Sharkey to start), but I’ve always had a feeling that he’d hook up with Phil and Dawes, since he has a relationship with both.

Totally get it on you not enjoying Wolf Bros. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea within the universe. While I love Bobby, his guitar tones the last decade+ have been atrocious, so sometimes he has to be surrounded by the right players to make it blend well. The Wolf pack in full force can do that at times, other times it’s rough. Although that may not be the cause of your lack of enjoyment. I can talk for hours about the good and bad of Bobby’s evolution as a player, both good and bad.

I do recall you saying before that you’re not a fan of the big shows. I love them, but mostly for how well they fill the space with sound. Especially this last tour, the sound in the largest venues was spectacular. I love to walk to all points of the venue to check it all out, a tip that I learned from Gary Lambert.

Funny you bring up Rum Runners, that’s like the 3rd or 4th time that’s come up for me this week. I probably haven’t spoken a word about that for a year or two. I think it’s a sign for me to bump it to the top of my vinyl wantlist.

Loved his tone with the ES-335 and even after until he started dancing his tones around the piano. When he started using that ultra-thin tone, and er, the slide experiment, less so. Still, when Jerry was failing he was filling in well. And I saw him with RatDog when his guitar playing was simply commanding and inventive.

But since 2016? maybe, he's doing this atonal scratching that is very off putting even to many loyal Heads.

the dead have always been about serendipity since Cassidy taught them to drive through San Francisco with their eyes closed and they put that in their music. So yep, gotta pay attention. I sing that song when I'm feeling theological or people affront me with their judgments.

Agree with you on the ES-335. I haven't really pinpointed when it changed for Bobby. I was off the bus for 10+ years, until about 2014, when I started to hear JRAD and watching the TXR streams from the series Phil was doing the GD by year series leading up to FTW. Bobby's tones were significantly different at that point from what I remembered nearly 15 years before when I was regularly attending shows.

I always attributed it (not sure if it's accurate to do so), to when his guitar of preference became the D'Angelico's. Although for me personally his tones are a bit less grating and richer than when he plays with his other guitars, but I'm wondering if the evolution just resulted in the tonal changes and his choice of guitars accentuate it more or less.

The other thing that I have felt, and this has been an evolution in the last few years, that his rhythm playing seems to emulate more like horns would, especially with D&C, where he used to pride himself following more in the realm of famous jazz piano players, like McCoy Tyner. Even his friendship with Mayer shared a common love of Bill Evans. Some of that has to have come from filling the space that John/Jeff leaves when the two of them are clicking, which obviously has really becomes the essence of the D&C sound.

All in all, it's not that I have a displeasure for his evolutions, but I can absolutely understand why in a certain band why some may not find it appealing. I've been seeing Wolf Bros regularly since their inception as a predominantly 3-piece, a transition to 5-piece, and the full on integration of the wolf pack, and completely stand by the more players on stage, the better.

Couch tour for Cornell. Helluva setlist played totally straight. Enjoyed Bob singing most of his tunes and all of John M playing, and the guys’ backing vocal very good. Nothing the least bit experimental.

Clearly Nephew John’s Band now. His tone, playing, well the best since Jerry discovered persian. And he might lead a improv heavy band but not this one.

May be a greatest hits final tour, unfortunately that might be all they can ageee on?

I want them to release "Tales of the Great Rum Runners" again so I can pick up a tune or three. "Does God look down on the boys in the bar room, mainly forsaken but surely not judged..."?
    I can copy a file of that entire studio album from youtube and send it to your email addess, or if you let me know the individual tracks you want, I can probably run those down and create the files and send them to you if you would like. I can't press the vinyl, but I can share the noise with you if you would like.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I've often wondered how that could happen. The out of print but on youtube albums I don't have copies of.

By the way, that new Silver Sky guitar is the best Jerry guitar tone ever. Better than anything except maybe "the enemy is listening" Travis Bean or "Alligator".
    https://news.yahoo.com/prs-silver-sk...Jv3AGhQZEvaLLV

Came out for thr 2nd set playin “Wolf” for a song and a half, but I think it broke, and he switched mid song.

YouTube offering

Grateful Dead - The Very Best Of The Grateful Dead [Full Album Greatest Hits] 17 tracks

Linkage
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Couch tour for Cornell. Helluva setlist played totally straight. Enjoyed Bob singing most of his tunes and all of John M playing, and the guys’ backing vocal very good. Nothing the least bit experimental.

Clearly Nephew John’s Band now. His tone, playing, well the best since Jerry discovered persian. And he might lead a improv heavy band but not this one.

May be a greatest hits final tour, unfortunately that might be all they can ageee on?
    Just peaked back in here after your question in the other board.

Pretty much agree on all of this. The Cornell show was outstanding. We couched tour'ed it on our last night in New Orleans following up JazzFest. The big stand out that you mentioned was the outstanding backing vocals. Finally getting around listening to night 1 in LA right now. It took Nugs a bit to post those up. In past years, I've always bought the entire tour, but with nearly 30 shows this tour, the $800 price is a bit steep.

By the way, that new Silver Sky guitar is the best Jerry guitar tone ever. Better than anything except maybe "the enemy is listening" Travis Bean or "Alligator".
    https://news.yahoo.com/prs-silver-sk...Jv3AGhQZEvaLLV
    Totally agree with this too!

They interviewed the “Remix Garcia” person in between sets. Wish they’d send some jelly beans towards Holly Bowling and maybe even interview her.

An Old Faithful Inn summit with Bowling and Mayer would have me traveling for a miracle.

They interviewed the “Remix Garcia” person in between sets. Wish they’d send some jelly beans towards Holly Bowling and maybe even interview her.

An Old Faithful Inn summit with Bowling and Mayer would have me traveling for a miracle.
    LP Giobbi makes me cringe. She seems like a musically intelligent person, but she takes the music to a place where I don’t think it belongs. Music is subjective, though, and if people like what she’s doing, then go for it.

When she was doing a show at the after parties at JazzFest, my thought was good, just more space for us at Voodoo Fead with Jackie Greene, Kimock, George Porter and others.

So with you on Holly Bowling. She’s spectacular!

Phil and Friends in Missoula was Holly Bowling and Phriends. She took the music and Phil went with it and headed out.

The Atlanta show had some of my favorites so far. “If I had the world to give”

It wasn’t the China or the Rider but everything in between

A long Eyes. Bass solo was good but when I saw the Allmans with Oteil he’d blow the guitarists off the stage. I have not seen that guy with this band. Still, Mayer did the Eyes justice.

A walk off Dew

Hey Stu

I have been couch touring. Some positive musings
    1) maybe 2 and 3, the magic is in the lead guitarist's musical knowledge, his ability to fill and solo and sing, and his unjaded engagement in the songs of Hunter/Garcia. He is right there. He plays like he conversations. Sometimes he grabs both sides of my head and pushes my hair back.
    4) I'm happy Bob is healthy and fit. I'm happy when Bob sings the Bobby songs. And for many years his Days Between had a thing. He is welcome to reconnect to his emotional engagement to some of these performances. I understand why all third gen jambands want to see Bob show up. He's like Bill Monroe in his latter days; the archetype, the eldest King of Numenor still sprinkled with the dust of Valinor, the old emperor still embued with his aura. When he turns to Mayer and starts playing his guitar with Mayer, let it grow in NYC for example, it's impressive.
    5) More is more, and the spectacle and number of songs is great! The sound system and the power of the band is exceptional. 3.5 hours of music has to leave concert goes with their hair blown back, maxell tape style.

one negative. sheesh, Gans could up his game a LOT at halftime and who the eff does nugs.net think they're pimping nugs.net to at halftime? We paid for the show already.

Now thinking a couple of Gorge shows might be just the thing

The Gorge shows fell between the awesome Boulder run and saving it up for San Francisco but some things up close were interesting.

The first night was dolorous. High Time, Black Peter, Black Muddy River? Not sure why so Workingman’s Dead heavy.

Moment of the two shows; pre-drums Saturday night. And especially after a jammy hot St Stephen Bobby gets frustrated with the microphone in the Eleven and maybe with his voice too, and with a slap knocks the microphone aside. John Mayer himself goes over and sets it up and fixes it, Bobby comes back and finishes the Eleven’s counting song lyric. Several times in the two nights I got frustrated with 1Bob’s playing 2Chimenti playing over Bob and 3)Chimenti (4 setlists (nobody came to hear Loose Lucy)

On the other hand.

John Mayer is inhabiting the music. He’s happily showing Tom and the jrad guys and all the jrad fans that it does not have to be jam band cliche to jam, and why the Grateful Dead was not a 21st century jamband.
    Oteil sounded great and when he’s stepping forward he fires up the whole band, either up tempo or spacey he contributes to the music.

The care John Mayer takes of Bobby is touching, and it didn’t just happen in the microphone incident I described.

Bob is healthy and singing well. He shredded his voice on Black Peter the first night and it was not the same after that, but he WAS showing it off on Black Peter. BUT! The big screens did not show him playing guitar. 7 years ago the interplay with John was outstanding. They stood face to face trading licks. I had to think the current omission was deliberate.

Fun time, girlfriend a noob. Two 40s women camping next to me also noobs. Fun watching thru their eyes. The camping neighbors got on the bus. Old touring pal/ex girlfriend joined for first night and that was good too.

I am badly trashed today, body and soul. Touring is hard at 70

It’s been a while since I checked in here. Between a busy work period and being on the road, when I do pop in, it’s been following the wild summer of basketball.

Don’t disagree much with your analysis. I’ll offer up my complete analysis post tour, perhaps on the flight back from San Francisco.

I really loved your perspective on Mayer showing up the JRAD guys and fans. I’ve felt that way for a while now. I like JRAD too, but they’re minor leagues compared to the guys in D&C.

Night 1 Gorge was a bit of a snooze fest relatively speaking to so many of the other outstanding shows. It did have the burden between following the Boulder shows and between SF. I expected that though.

All in all, the tour has been more than I expected. Jay Lane is such an added bonus. His addition has raised the bar for everyone.

IMO, Oteil has been the star of the tour, but everyone has had their big moments.

Can’t wait to get to San Francisco! Besides seeing the shows, it’s my first time visiting my brother and family since we left Chicago. We have a good crew from VA going too!

When the tour ends, it’s doesn’t slow down. Seeing Bobby and Wolf Bros in Sept in Saratoga Springs at Willie’s outlaw festival, Billy and the Kids in Baltimore in Aug., JRAD in Nov., and fingers crossed that Phil sticks to his Halloween residency at the Cap, as we’re already going to be in NY at that time.

None of it stands up to the brilliance we’re seeing on this farewell tour, though.

The 1973 May June recent release is my touchstone, having climbed on the bus June 8-10, 1973. Take Kezar stadium on 5/26, 4.5 hours, no drumz/space, 30 some songs, Jerry on Graham Nash’s Alligator strat, Bob high up and round toned in the mix, every kind of music so much so it’s hard to pin down, that is my touchstone.

John was a good match for that Jerry. The two rhythm sections, Phil more of a lead instrument but I give a slight advantage to 2023, But Bob has ceded tone and leadership to old age and the piano player.

And that affected my enjoyment of the music greatly. I am incredibly grateful to John Mayer for his enthusiasm and dedication and energy. And, I should echo that to Jeff C, but Guitar keys interplay is a different band style. When John and Bob dueled years ago it really did harken back, and my emotion followed. The latest version is entertaining but I was less emotionally involved.

Can’t say enough about John. Really. And grateful to all and they earned every dime.

About 6/10/73, it was the show that converted me. But being a noob at that show? How was I to appreciate it? How was I to know that Morning Dew didn’t open every show? Or the incredible Wake of the Flood songs thst would not be released for 4 months and how they added
    To 1972? And, eespecially, what the powr of the pre wall sound system and the Dead’s dedication to quality sound meant in a live performance? I just didn’t know it would have me shaking 50 years later!

I know what you mean when you talk about the difference between John and Bobby now vs. then, but it's definitely a different reaction for me. The pivot of the duels between John and Bobby to John and Jeff, I think has been what has brought this band to a whole different level. Especially with the fans, and new fans. So, that always adds something to my experience too. I also think the interplay between John and Jay has been significant. Jay has actually been my MVP of the tour. His steady playing has allowed every player to thrive in ways they couldn't quite reach. Especially Mickey. One of my favorite parts of this tour was the pre-Drums jam with Oteil on the banjo bass, Jay on the Kit, and Mickey on the vibes. Glad I got to catch one of those live.

I guess we wait to see what's next. Mayer's words (among others) today were very encouraging. If you didn't see them, he said it's not the end of the band, but nobody knows when the next show is. I'll take that! In the meantime, there's a lot to keep us occupied. Next up is Billy and The Kids in Baltimore, Wolf Bros at SPAC (as part of Willie Nelson's Outlaw Festival), another Bobby & Wolf Bros in Baltimore, a 2-night run of JRAD in November, and keeping an eye out if Phil & Friends does their annual Halloweed run at the Capitol Theater, since we'll be up in NYC for the Warren Zevon tribute.

I was doing a good job of remembering the key moments of this tour, until it became too much to remember. Just too many. I look forward to going back to each show and reliving those and making notes about those moments. I also look forward to taking a deeper dive into some of the newer releases, like the '73 shows just released and the 2 last Dave's Picks. I listened to the '73 RFK show with the Dew opener, and talked to a few folks that were out that show. It's funny, my reaction was a little ho hum because I've been so entrenched in the D&C tour, but I need to take another listen with a clearer mind.

What a way to end it all, though. San Francisco was a perfect host city. Best I have seen the city look in decades, with exception of the closures of businesses. The city was clean, energetic, and very happy that we were all there. The shows themselves were outstanding, just solid playing throughout and the addition of the drones was fantastic.

That is the difference in taste I believe, generational, as much as anything.

I prefer classical music, 1969 to “retirement” especially the one drummer era.

And don’t usually listen to anything after 1977 except for the “new songs”. Bob’s ultra thin tone, (to get around the keyboards ironically), his slide guitar on stage lessons, Jerry’s drug issues, the speeded up cocaine daze, short shows, etc.

Many people find the 73-74 years slow, boring, Garcia too low in the mix 1973, too much Donna, too much country, (Race is On, sing me Back Home, You Ain’t Woman Enough, etc) too Phil-y.

Coming out with a classically inspired short truckin then into Brokedown into NFA reprise, the perfect goodbye encore. Classic 1970, eh? The 2nd night, dew-Ripple, another “classic” goodbye.

And I am not judgmental, just picky for what I prefer. And that is why I say, thank you to those dedicated to carrying the torch of this music that means so much to me.

Going to see Holly Bowling in August, in Paradise valley, hoping for a particular cameo…

New York Times and MSNBC telling me why I like the shows. Or trying to explain why people are still listening.

For me it is the music and what John Mayer has meant to it. Period. (And yes, drummer change incredible difference.) Otherwise I’m a cynical sober tourist scammin my way to the rail and appreciating the irony that it’s 50 years of my doing it. Watching, listening, searchin for the sound.

Love it!

I don't listen to a lot of early-mid 80's for much of what you said, the cocaine years. After Jerry recovered from his stroke is about the time I started listening (I was born in '72), so that technically makes me a touchhead. I loved the 89-90 tours, of course that helps because that's when I started seeing live shows. This era actually most reminds me of that period. Especially the Jerry/Brent and John/Jeff musical relationships.

The feelings I have now when I see the shows is so reminiscent of those times. I quit seeing the live shows as it became more Phil, wasn't a fan of Vince (didn't dislike him, just thought he was an odd fit), really disliked all the '90's songs with exception of a couple, and the crowds were getting too out of control for that period of my life.

If I were picking my favorite eras from '65 - '95, 77 would be my #1, '89-'90 is #2, and '74 is #3. The only era that I just do not listen to is '94-95. '83-'85 is close behind that, but there's a few highlights here and there.

I was off the bus between '02 and '14. I saw about 20+ shows in the years between '98 and '01, during The Other Ones tours. I really enjoyed those. During the SPAC run a few weeks ago, the night before while we were waiting for friends to get in town, I watched a series of segments from shows between '98 and '04, when they became the Dead again. Quite fascinating and you can see the musical infrastructure of what was to become D&C.

I love this conversation too and it's only fitting as I am typing this, I am listening to the outstanding Mayer/Weir show in MT that you attended.

Oh, and Holly Bowling is absolutely fantastic. My only complaint is she plays too much Phish, but I love watching her with P&F, and I saw her a couple of times when she was still in Ghost Light with Tommy Hamilton (JRAD, Billy & the Kids). Have you ever had a chance to see Molly Tuttle? I'm a big fan of hers. Hoping she joins Billy and the Kids again for the Baltimore show.

Jerry Garcia and John Kahn Bushnell Hall Hartford CT 11-26-84 Audio only from You Tube

Linkage

Play list

SET 1
    01. Deep Elem Blues (0:00)
    02. Little Sadie (8:36)
    03. Peggy-O (13:20)
    04. Valerie (21:04)
    05. Run For The Roses (33:06)
    06. Simple Twist Of Fate (37:26)

SET 2
    07. Reuben And Cherise (51:19)
    08. Friend Of The Devil (58:58)
    09. Jack-A-Roe (1:07:34)
    10. Gomorrah (1:13:17)
    11. Bird Song (1:19:33)
    seeya
    dan

For the Dead Heads here..............

NBC documentary"Time and Again"
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    For the Dead Heads here..............

NBC documentary"Time and Again"
    I’ve watched that many times. It’s been a while. Thanks for posting!

Hey bigsky, how was the Holly Bowling show?

I got a run coming up. Just saw Billy and the Kids a few weeks ago in Baltimore. It was fantastic! So much fun. Tiny outdoor venue right on the water. Perfect weather. Hundreds of friends there. Felt like a private party.

Going to see Oteil and Friends this weekend in Richmond. Bobby and Wolf Bros at the end of the month, back at the same venue in Baltimore.
    A 2-night JRAD run in Philly and DC in November.

Was totally intrigued by Dead Ahead in Cancun until I saw the prices. Haven’t quite paid off 9 years of tours and 2 Playing in the Sands. That should be done by the time they figure out what a summer tour looks like. Taking a hiatus soon to start playing live music in a couple of different bands. It’ll be good to be in the other side for a change.

Stu, she was excellent. I took three non deadheads and they loved it. Only 50 attendees so it was a shame.

Covid is raging in the Bozeman concert scene right now. The outdoor Holly Bowling show was perfect but outdoor concert season is passing. Summers fade and roses die.

My old stomping grounds, Richmond. All my primary and secondary childhood school years there.

As for the revolving Bob Weir circus, well, maybe I’ve seen enough. The Grateful Dead without a lead guitarist, I’ll skip it. It was a band led by a lead guitarist, whether he wanted to or not. As one observer said, Weir soldiered on for the sake of generations after Jerry. We owe him a debt for that, but not uncritical obeisance.

I hope Phil comes by in a nice outdoor venue.