Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Ian

Hurricane Ian

Ft Myers Beach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Hurricane Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    The Sanibel Causeway
    Attachment 10341
    Sanibel Causeway due to reopen Friday. I still stand by my prediction of 6 months and it will be business as normal
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Hurricane Ian

A couple of news tidbits three weeks after Ian.

To repair Sanibel causeway that opened to residents today, workers used more than 8000 loads of dirt, and 4000 tons of asphalt for the temporary repair.

The estimated amount of debris left behind by Ian, to be removed, would be enough to fill dump trucks end to end for 430 miles.

Another problem is flooded out electric vehicles, salt water and battery’s don’t mix causing them to ignite, which are incredibly hard to extinguish. It takes firefighters five times the amount of time to extinguish one EV and 10,000 gallons of water verses 500 gallons for a fossil fuel vehicle. They also stated DOT is warning EV’s can ignite weeks after being flooded by salt water.

No indication of when everything would be back to normal other than months and months.

Last edited by blueboss; 10-19-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Yep, DeSantis described the new stretch of causeway as being a temporary fix to allow property owners access to their lots.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 10-19-2022 at 06:42 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Yep, DeSantis described the new stretch of causeway as being a temporary fix to allow property owners access to their lots.
    The point is that unlike LA and Katrina, FL is handling as well possible. The state learned lots from Andrew, and continued to learn and adapt. The comparison to Katrina is telling. Took them a significant amount of time to become functional....or as functional as NOLA can be. For most of the nation, Ian is a past memory due to the fact the state is addressing the carnage and aftermath effectively.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Now they got flesh eating bacteria to deal with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/19/u...nfections.html
    Last edited by Doc; 10-20-2022 at 08:33 AM.

I think Hurricane Michael is more adaptable in this instance. More recent and somewhat similar dynamics as far as property. Katrina wasn’t similar due to canal flooding that was due to barges breaking free. Michael isn’t as adaptable for being in a much less populated area. Some of what occurred during Michael is happening in Lee County where insurers are paying policy limits which are short of the property value and speculators are paying the difference between insurance payoff and property value to acquire it. My wife has already seen a couple of these transactions cross her desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The point is that unlike LA and Katrina, FL is handling as well possible. The state learned lots from Andrew, and continued to learn and adapt. The comparison to Katrina is telling. Took them a significant amount of time to become functional....or as functional as NOLA can be. For most of the nation, Ian is a past memory due to the fact the state is addressing the carnage and aftermath effectively.

Fab Five

I had a lot of experience with Hurricane preparedness and recovery in the 80s and 90s for a nine state geographic area. I was in Kendall Florida 2 days after Andrew. So I have something of a background.

Infrastructure can be repaired and and back functioning in about 6 months. So,what does that mean? In the case of Andrew utility poles were replaced insofar as service provisioning required. Transformers, pipe, poles were redirected from all over the country to Florida. People who needed electricity, telephone service, running water, or gas had access to it. Does it mean utility service was provided to every home who had it before the hurricane? Of course not. It wasn’t necessary. But service was provided to an access point where as customers came back on line they could get service in a reasonable period of time.

State governments (Florida is the best) are adept at making temporary highway infrastructure repairs allowing access to neighborhoods and promoting interstate commerce.

Recovery and back to normal are two entirely different things. Florida is well on the way to recovery. Ft. myers as well as Kendall will never achieve normalcy as it was before the hurricane.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 10-20-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

It’s gonna be a long time before it’s normal Mick. Had dinner with some seasonal friends last night who were in checking their Marco Island property before season happens here. They will need a new roof. Lost quite a few tiles of theirs in the storm. Roofing tiles are on a 6 month back order right now. It’s not just roofing in that situation either. A lot of building materials were in short supply before Ian happened.

Hurricane Ian

I’ve got friends in Cape Coral, after it was all said and done, they had relatively minor damage. Their pool enclosure is gone, some roof damage, and as they live on a canal their dock is totaled. The canal came a few feet short of flooding their home. Some of their neighbors, not as lucky.

They have a full home generator and their hurricane shutters helped with no wind damage with windows/doors being compromised. so they’ve been relatively comfortable.

He said, “it’s truly ef’d down here”.

Back to normal being a relative term, even with minimal damage and no loss of life..it’ll be a new normal for them.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    It’s gonna be a long time before it’s normal Mick. Had dinner with some seasonal friends last night who were in checking their Marco Island property before season happens here. They will need a new roof. Lost quite a few tiles of theirs in the storm. Roofing tiles are on a 6 month back order right now. It’s not just roofing in that situation either. A lot of building materials were in short supply before Ian happened.
    I believe I said it would never be normal in places like Ft Myers.

The point I was making is the government and utilities will have the infrastructure in place to support commerce in about a six month period of time. Individual property owners may never recover. But the reasons are not related to having the necessary infrastructure in place.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I believe I said it would never be normal in places like Ft Myers.

The point I was making is the government and utilities will have the infrastructure in place to support commerce in about a six month period of time. Individual property owners may never recover. But the reasons are not related to having the necessary infrastructure in place.
    Exactly. Bonita Springs is one of our preferred kayaking locations (between FT Myers and Naples). We will be back there in 6 months give or take. Sure, there will always be remnants of Ian, heck Hollywood still has remnants of Andrew which was 29 years ago