Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Houston Group Giving Away Shotguns In High-Crime Neighborhoods

Houston Group Giving Away Shotguns In High-Crime Neighborhoods

Kyle Coplen, who founded the Armed Citizens Project, is giving away 20-gauge single-shot shotguns to residents in mid- and high-crime neighborhoods to test whether or not the weapon will help reduce crime in the area, according to the group’s website. Coplen says the weapons are not of much value to criminals, but are especially useful for citizens looking to protect themselves from criminals.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...me-is-reduced/
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Re: Houston Group Giving Away Shotguns In High-Crime Neighborhoods

Cool. Will watch the results (and head explosions from Feinstein et al) with great interest.

Single shot 20 gauges? Someone better be using hot loads, with only one shot you have to aim true and do a lot of damage; plus hope you don't have more than one bad guy to deal with.

For home invasion I'm thinking my 2-shot 12 gauge would be my first line.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    For home invasion I'm thinking my 2-shot 12 gauge would be my first line.
    Is that you Uncle Joe?

"Buy a shotgun, buy shotgun."

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Is that you Uncle Joe?

"Buy a shotgun, buy shotgun."
    LOL Yeah, I figure it increases the chance of stopping someone without having to depend on being super accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    LOL Yeah, I figure it increases the chance of stopping someone without having to depend on being super accurate.
    I had to use your opening to get in Uncle Joe's line. The difference in your defense and the defense Uncle Joe's advocating is that you are using a shotgun as a first line of defense, Uncle Joe Biden is wanting a shotgun used as the ONLY line of defense. HUGE difference, IMO. Heck, I'd go with a shotgun as a first line also, but I'm not going to depend on it exclusively.

One problem I see with Biden's comments is that self defense is not the only reason to own a firearm. The assault style weapons are common enough that they fall within the area that the Supreme Court should see as being an infringement beyond what would be reasonable, just as the hand gun bans were seen as being unreasonable by SCOTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Single shot 20 gauges? Someone better be using hot loads, with only one shot you have to aim true and do a lot of damage; plus hope you don't have more than one bad guy to deal with.
    I'd strongly prefer at least a double barrel but I can see their reasoning b/c it is so unsuited for crime they can more easily defend it as not arming criminals. I'd still suggest at least a double barrel. For my personal choice I'd want something with 5 rounds and pistol grip only b/c of space issues.

Biden's notions have so many problems I wouldn't know where to start. This isn't just about self defense. it sure isn't just about self defense in one's home. It isn't anyone's place to tell someone what is best for their defense in their home. It's a long list.

Oh, forgot to mention his overall suggestion is illegal in many places, including his home state. He's a member of the Delaware bar, where she'd probably be arrested for a felony for shooting a shotgun outside the home for purposes of threatening someone.

Biden advises discharging a firearm in public while under no threat of physical harm as self defense. Maybe we should make his house a "gun free zone" for the safety of his neighbors.

The man is a true idiot. More than any other person in the White House in my lifetime he's proof this system is capable of horrid failures.