Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Montana last in EV driver satisfaction

https://theclunkerjunker.com/blog/ci...causes-stress/

Maybe they should drive a “waaaaa mbulance”
    Last edited by bigsky; 09-15-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Fab Five

Re: Montana last in EV driver satisfaction

So much yet to figure out on the EV scene.
    Real Fan since 1958

A base Corolla beats any EV for net carbon impact and economy. My brother in law has a ‘93 Honda with 456,000 miles and it is his daily driver. EVs are nowhere near that economy of manufacture and operation.

Employ the Autobahn strategy and eliminate speed limits on the interstate highways. I-94, I-90. and I-15 all become fun tracks for the all electric crowd. Gasoline powered autos not allowed. When the EV autos run out off juice they just get parked and left in the middle of nowhere. It could be a huge tourist attraction like the Cadillac graveyard on old route US 66. Graffiti artists encouraged to visit.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

EVs in Florida erupting in flames weeks after Ivan moved on. Seems as if the battery packs do not like salt water. Fire department comes to the rescue and it takes 10 times the water to put out the fire that is normally required to douse a fire in a conventional auto, then a few hours or a few days and the same car catches fire again.
    seeya
    dan

Hey, fire is green. It's very natural.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Hey Dan this is for any long distance driver to laugh about. BTW I drove 95 mph Columbus to Bozeman today in the big diesel one ton got 15.3 mpg.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/10...nne-to-casper/

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Hey Dan this is for any long distance driver to laugh about. BTW I drove 95 mph Columbus to Bozeman today in the big diesel one ton got 15.3 mpg.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/10...nne-to-casper/
    I would not enjoy a trip like the author describes. Your excursion on the other hand, would suit me just fine. Are you talking about Columbus OHIO to Bozeman? That sir, is a long haul, if you did not have a relief driver, and I am surprised you got out of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois without a stop by the local authorities. Those three states are damn serious about their posted speed limits.

A regular trip for me used to be from Bowling Green to Minneapolis, which was a one stop trip. Fill up with fuel and a restroom break in Mendota IL, and the rest of the time was motoring along at between 75 and 80 mph in my Ford Explorer. A friend of mine helped me tune that 6 cylinder to get 23 mpg with and without headwinds. Could not get that economy in the mountains though.

Thanks for the link. I will share that with some frinds
    seeya
    dan

No just a nice short drive Columbus MT to Bozeman. GF and i went thru Yellowstone to Cody, then up to Red Lodge and up to Columbus and home, spent the night in Red Lodge. 3/4 tank fuel mostly park and down to Cody is 45 mph speed limit, the diesel is barely turning over. But Columbus to Bozeman is a racetrack I-90 interstate--not sure a EV could make it in one trip but we did it in a little more than an hour.

I was thinking you used to travel for work and we talked about that some time ago.

I used to travel all over KY, TN, OH, and southern IN. with occasional side trips to MI, PA, NY, and FL. NO way in heck could I do that job in an EV toymobile.

I spent a month and a half in FL in Aug & Sep. 2004 doing loss assessments of Hurricane damage on nursery and citrus crops. IIRC, they had 4 different hurricanes hit different parts of the state in a 45 day period. I bought a 20 foot bumper hitch travel trailer in KY, hauled it to FL, and lived in it while I was there. There were no hotel rooms available anywhere near the work area, so I charged the company the going rate for a motel room there and paid for the trailer while I stayed there. Then sold it to another insurance adjuster before I left.

Those were the good ole days.
    seeya
    dan

EV “truk” haulin the travel trailer is discussed in the 2nd linked article. 123 miles.

Bowling Green to Sarasota is 815 miles. Lets figure an honest 12 mpg with the Explorer pulling the trailer. Fuel used for 815 miles= 67.9 gal times $4.50 per Joe Biden dollar = $305.55 (or $1.90 per gallon real 2004 cost of $127.53 one way travel to job site.

If everything fell into place just right and I could find high speed chargers at just the right pots and could charge while I was napping, I figure the trip would take a minimum of 3 days and more likely 6 or more while hunting juice in hurricane ravaged FL. I drove to Sarasota in 13.5 hours, set up camp and went to work the next morning at daylight.

With the EV, I would have probably been sitting on the side of the road somewhere close to Atlanta hoping for a lightning storm, or the AAA guy to show up to recharge the battery. EV cost of .289 cents per mile= $235.54 for the one way trip. Probably about half that in 2004 kilowatt hours cost, so lets use $117.77 total one way trip cost, and I did not add in the minimum 3 nights of motel cost. The local authorities frown on folks setting up a free campsite in the Walmart parking lots.

btw, I loved that Explorer and have it's replacement sitting in my driveway. My friend and I had discussed swapping out the 3.6 liter gasser for a 6.0 liter power stroke and a 5 sped manual gearbox, but we just have never gotten around to tackling that chore and probably never will.
    seeya
    dan

Perfect analysis. Opportunity Cost per hour of your dawdling at EV charging stations, priceless!!

Heard a story about a retailer that would travel from New Orleans to Chicago to purchase goods. He had a diesel truck that he could complete the trip in two days.
    Thought he was saving the planet by purchasing an EV truck now it take him 5 days due to the necessary charging delays.
    The EV direction is just a direction that some politicians wanted to take so they could hoard more money.

My diesel’s range exceeds that of my bladder.

North pole to south pole EV trip

Hope they go unarmed.
    seeya
    dan

I hope they take a fossil fuel powered generator.

They will need to trailer along a thousand gallon fuel tank.
    seeya
    dan

Trucker post on the Quora forum

https://qr.ae/pv6nZj
    seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

This is the same guy, Dan! I'm glad it continues to make news. Had a guy retort that the Leaf is just for driving around town. Of course, dude, EVs are not really for what a car is actually for. More like a four wheel version of a electric bicycle. Consider the drive from Hardin to Spearfish, a drive I've made a hundred times. Think of it in vehicle with a 150 mile range. Broke down on the reservation, broke down on the prairie 150 miles from anything but a few burned out previously abandoned EVs.

Replacing gas stations and truck stops. Just that infrastructure alone. Consider it.

Meanwhile, Brandon on the stump doubles down on ending civilization as we know it.

Somewhat relevant, a great article on the political and economic issues facing charging EVs along the way, and whether gas stations do that or if they just cease to exist.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...cture-00063398
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I will put a 30 amp service in my garage, but it’s for an RV

So will “charging stations” have really good wifi? A sports bar? What do you do while you wait? Will they be a new social spot where you eye the hot chick with the red EV?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    So will “charging stations” have really good wifi? A sports bar? What do you do while you wait? Will they be a new social spot where you eye the hot chick with the red EV?
    I read a few weeks ago that they will come equipped with the Japanese style miniature motel rooms, attached to each charging pole, equipped with a 15 watt light bulb and a 5 foot long air mattress in the 5 1/2 foot by 2 1/2 foot sleeping tube. Heating and cooling are optional.
    seeya
    dan

Canadian EV owner's trip to Chicago

Linkage
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 08-18-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    seeya
    dan

Guy I heard tell could not make it in his Ford truck from Billings to Bozeman 139 miles or so. In a EV world, buy a two stroke!

I have a friend that owns this truck. He has agreed to rent it to me CHEAP so that I can haul it to DC and park it in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, start it, lock the doors and leave it running. If the parking spaces require payments, I will pay for a month in advance and refuel with diesel as needed.

06CLI-TRUCKS1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg
    seeya
    dan