Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Lets talk Populism....And Why is it supposed to be a "bad thing" to be and support

Lets talk Populism....And Why is it supposed to be a "bad thing" to be and support

I admit it, I am a populist in many ways.

I have always believed that investment in ones own country and own citizens is the paramount duty of ones government.

So, why is that deemed a bad philosophy?

Rupp's Runt

Re: Lets talk Populism....And Why is it supposed to be a "bad thing" to be and suppor

Populist to me means that you share the ideas of the majority of the people. But those views are not necessarily right or left as it depends on the people. I think it is deemed bad because right now that is more Trump like and less Washington DC and main stream media like.

Re: Lets talk Populism....And Why is it supposed to be a "bad thing" to be and suppor

I am more of a policy wonk. I think George HW Bush was our last decent President because of his years in foreign policy. I think of populism as policy by television. I distrust the majority opinion and lean towards protecting the rights of the individual over the rule of the majority.

So is it bad? Not of itself. But when more people live off government than contribute to government, democracy and populism become a contest for who gets more handouts. And that is where we are now.

This is were I am, why should my hard work be taxed to the point I have to really cut back so that others can live off the government.

So is it bad? Not of itself. But when more people live off government than contribute to government, democracy and populism become a contest for who gets more handouts. And that is where we are now.[/QUOTE]

I saw a mayoral candidate for LA (went 80% for Biden) saying, “LA is today what America will be tomorrow.” Imagine what populism gets you in Ellay. That is why I’m a “rule of law” guy not a “populist”.

This is interesting to me. Learning from you.

I have never, ever, thought of populism as seeking more from others or from an economic standpoint.

Populism, to me, is about representing the needs of the country's people over the needs of the government or of other countries or non-citizens. That is populism in my mind. Now, can that position effect economics. Yes. Trade Deals being the best example. Like whem after NAFTA I saw the Rolling Mill at Armco steel being shut down, disassembled, and 250 employees laid off because the Mill was inefficient but somehow it was reassembled in Mexico and the steel was fine...

That was my issue with HW Bush\. He focused more om Intl trade deals but maybe not benefitting the American worker

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    This is interesting to me. Learning from you.

I have never, ever, thought of populism as seeking more from others or from an economic standpoint.

Populism, to me, is about representing the needs of the country's people over the needs of the government or of other countries or non-citizens. That is populism in my mind. Now, can that position effect economics. Yes. Trade Deals being the best example. Like whem after NAFTA I saw the Rolling Mill at Armco steel being shut down, disassembled, and 250 employees laid off because the Mill was inefficient but somehow it was reassembled in Mexico and the steel was fine...

That was my issue with HW Bush\. He focused more om Intl trade deals but maybe not benefitting the American worker
    I'd replace needs with desire. That is were it can go down hill. As in Bigsky's point.