Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Thoughts on buying a cheap Chromebook

Thoughts on buying a cheap Chromebook

I'm looking at getting a Chromebook so Mrs. BEvans can have our laptop when she's traveling. I'm looking at getting something that will allow me to do basic surfing, video chat and email. Not necessarily looking for a touch screen or anything too fancy.

Looking to spend <$200 and have my eye on this refurbed HP model or this one.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations/tips--thanks.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-11-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Thoughts on buying a cheap Chromebook

Yes.

Strong recommendation on buying a robust Chromebook. Refurbished is fine, cheap is not.

This is the one I bought 3 years ago:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...ed-Laptop-156/

It's no longer for sale, I didn't pay $400 for it (probably closer to $200 on a sale or something), but it blew away the two cheaper ones we've had (both "name" brands.

I bought it with the idea that I'd bring it with me to mediations, depositions, and other hours long occasions where I didn't want to bring my laptop.

My wife ended up with it and I bought another laptop. But it worked great for everything you described.

The cheaper ones we had were just frustrating. One is IBM, don't recall the other. I don't even know how the one we got was recommended, but it was and no regrets. Touchscreen, nice speakers, fast, great battery. Has made many trips to Jackson, to Cincinnati, to New Orleans and New York.

I would go to Wirecutter or PC Magazine or something like that and see what they recommend and get it. The miniscule price difference will be the best money you've ever spent. Frustration level minimal compared to high.

The HP you are looking at may be that recommended one, I dunno. I'm just giving general advice only. Chromebooks are cheap enough that going higher end pays off in spades.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Thoughts on buying a cheap Chromebook

They are fine for basic things. Basically if you can do it in the Chrome web browser you can do it on a Chromebook. Most now have Google Play to download apps.

Along Darrell's comments, some of the cheaper one may not have Google Play.

I've never used them in a work environment. They just are not something for larger environments. But my oldest girl (7) has two. One we bought for about $200 and one issued from school. Both are fine for her, as both support YouTube via the browser and the apps she needs for her class work.

Just remember they are not a full blown Windows or Mac computer.

Thanks guys. I ended up buying a refurbed MacBook for about $220 on Amazon. It's old but I have a 2012 Macbook that's still running great, plus there's a 90-day no questions asked return policy, so I'm giving it a shot.

Probably will upgrade the hard drive to a SSD. 1 TBs are running around $60-80 on Amazon.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-17-2022 at 10:05 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Probably will upgrade the hard drive to a SSD.

This is a must. Upgrading from a mechanical HDD to an SSD it by far the highest performance/$ upgrade you can do.

So the refurbed MacBook has a trackpad issue and I'm returning it. That'll learn me, as we say in eastern Kentucky. Returning to the original Chromebook plan.

We use Chromebooks for our paraprofessional staff and group homes. If they get damaged or lost, there is very little fiscal loss.

Chrome OS is a bit different and for me difficult to manage through so my answer would be it depends on how you plan to use the machine. If Browsing, Social Media, email, and video are your goals you will be fine and happy. If you want Office type tools, are you familar and Happy with the Google Docs? If not, I would not go Chrome OS. My IT Team likes it because it is very easy to manage in a wide network environment but for those who actually use the machines for work, we go with Window's appliances.

Renew my recommendation to go high end Chromebook and not look back. Will be far superior spending extra $ for a Chromebook than a laptop at the same price. Can't go cheap with it or you'll be disappointed.

Here's a good list from Tom's Guide. I would go with the Acer Chromebook Spin 713, # 3 on their list. I think it retails super high, but I'd look for a refurb price at about 60% of the retail. But you and the Mrs. may value other factors. I'd just be careful to use a reliable review place, and then not select anything that starts with "budget." It just seems like a bad idea. I know, I had a couple of the budget Chromebooks that were very frustrating to use.

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-chromebooks

^Awesome--I like Tom's. Thanks, Darrell.