Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Train trips

Train trips

Mick I believe you took a train trip, I enjoyed the reports so much I am looking in the zephyr trip from Chicago, there are several different trips for 7 and 9 days.
    They seem kind of pricey but wondered if you had any advice.
    Thanks
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Fab Five

Re: Train trips

It’s been 5 years since I took the trip. I had an unlimited 3 week ticket across America. I believe I paid $329. It was coach, which can be a little rough, so the plan was to make frequent stops along the way. On the Zephyr I rode west to east, stopping in Reno, Grand Junction, Denver and Chicago. Make sure you go through Glenwood Canyon in CO during daylight hours. It was the highlight of the trip.

The Roomettes can be a bit pricey. It’s why I made frequent overnight stops using a coach ticket. But the stops were all in great places. Red rocks Amphitheater in Denver, Side trip to Moab from Grand Junction and a trip to Tahoe on the Reno stop. I don’t think I could handle a cross country trip without taking breaks.

It was a great trip. I met people I would never have encountered otherwise. The most extreme was a guy I sat next to from Grand Junction to Denver who was living off the grid, no drivers license, no bank accounts, no credit cards, just cash. The most interesting person was a retired school teacher from the Lower 9th Ward in NOLA.

Amtrak is a great form of transportation East of the Mississippi. Out west it takes some patience, but you can see the country in a way no other form of transportation can provide. There is nothing interesting about Iowa and Nebraska. Make sure that portion of the trip is overnight.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 06-06-2022 at 11:07 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Train trips

I’d be interested in train trip options. What I’ve seen for what we’d need they do seem a bit pricey. My challenge is to ensure Ms. boss can travel with minimized physical exertion. For us I think it would be more of an all inclusive where a cabin and meals are provided. We would also need the side trips prearranged with transportation and accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I’d be interested in train trip options. What I’ve seen for what we’d need they do seem a bit pricey. My challenge is to ensure Ms. boss can travel with minimized physical exertion. For us I think it would be more of an all inclusive where a cabin and meals are provided. We would also need the side trips prearranged with transportation and accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The most exertion you have on the trip is walking from your seat to the lounge car. I guess you also exert yourself doing arm lifts in the lounge as well.

As far as pricing, the roomettes are pricey. For lots of reasons, price included I didn’t want to spring for one. I don’t believe I ever stayed on the train more than one night at a time.

Look for deals and discounts on the Amtrak site. They usuallyhave them.

I almost always use Amtrak on the East Coast and from Birmingham to NOLA. When going to the East Coast, particularly NYC i take Southwest to Baltimore. Amtrak comes to the edge of airport property and trains run about every hour. The train goes directly into Penn Station. When you factor in local transportation in NYC from Long Island to Manhattan or Liberty to Manhattan Amtrak is cheaper. Last time I went to Champions Classic in The Garden I arrived at the station and took the escalator up to the arena. I did work in a couple of extra hours for drinks at Jack Dempsey’s.
    Real Fan since 1958

Will keep you posted, as mentioned I am looking for a 7 day trip, just thought it would be a way to eliminate some stress and enjoy the country in a way that many do not. I love the open ranges in the west.
    Going to try and research more this week and see.
    Initially the 7 day trip advertised on the site was around $2000.