Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: OT: Remembering Today, June 6 1944

OT: Remembering Today, June 6 1944

D-Day + 28,470, hard to imagine where’d we be today without those brave men and women 78 years ago today.

https://www.army.mil/d-day/history.h...yLOwm97J3MLRS8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 06-06-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: OT: Remembering Today, June 6 1944

The French still do not fully appreciate our efforts on their behalf.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Neither does our President, who didn't acknowledge for the second straight year

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The French still do not fully appreciate our efforts on their behalf.
    I think they do.

One of the most incredible place I ever visited was Normandy beach. Truly awe inspiring. A mixed bag of emotions, from and overwhelming sadness to those who perished, to one of extreme pride and patriotism. Its a place no American should miss
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Neither does our President, who didn't acknowledge for the second straight year
    You are spot on Terry. This is actually the second year in a row that he has refused to recognize or mention these heroes in any manner. His ass should be at Omaha Beach and not Rehobath Beach
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

He's probably too busy eating ice cream to care. Not that his sorry behind cares anyway. Nope, too busy trying to get us involved in another war in Europe, I think. Have to keep the military-industrial complex properly funded, after all.
    MOLON LABE!

Biden did make note of it yesterday
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Biden did make note of it yesterday
    ….at 9:30 pm….in a tweet no less
    Real Fan since 1958

9:30 pm in DC is the next day in Normandy. Good job Brandon.

to be honest, we are lucky if he remembers to put on his own pants........

I missed this thread.

DDay means a lot to me. My Dad was one of those "men" on Omaha Beach.

in 2013 (during the government shutdown I may add) my wife and I (and about 6 others including a DDay vet and his wife...well into their years but in good shape) got to the Beaches as part of a tour. It was a wet, chilly, rainy, day in October. The American Cemetery was shut down because it is a US Government run location. The Vet wanted in to see some of his "buddies". The Guide said he could lose his license if he allowed us to try to enter. We convinced him to just drop us off and come back in 1.5 hours ..and he did.

6 of us helped that vet and his wife to scale the backside of the cemetery. Up the cliffs so to speak. Here I was, age 47 but not in terrible shape at the time. Guys, It was tough getting up that hill. Huffing, puffing, sliding. aAnd I did not have an 80 lb. pack on my back. I was not carrying a rifle. I was not being shot at.

I have always loved and had great respect for my dad. I had more after that climb. And yes we got the vet into the cemetery. Had to lift them over the 6' fence but we did it. I never felt so good.

Rupp's Runt

My Dad was one of those Soldiers that was there on that day. After having seen action in north Africa AND Sicily & Italy too. Of course, he spoke the language. And then the "needs of the Army" sent him to England for that part of the campaign.
    We can never, ever thank them enough for what they did. They truly saved the world from a thousand years of darkness, and that is why they are "the Greatest Generation".
    We need more like them, now more than ever, especially in the times we are living in now.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    My Dad was one of those Soldiers that was there on that day. After having seen action in north Africa AND Sicily & Italy too. Of course, he spoke the language. And then the "needs of the Army" sent him to England for that part of the campaign.
    We can never, ever thank them enough for what they did. They truly saved the world from a thousand years of darkness, and that is why they are "the Greatest Generation".
    We need more like them, now more than ever, especially in the times we are living in now.
    My father was one of those guys there as well. US Army Staff Sergeant (eventually a D.I.) His unit hit the beach after the first wave and were ultimately tasked with setting up the hospital to take care of the wounded that day. When you could get him to talk about it, it was chilling to hear of the loss of human life. Odd story. My best buddy through high school, his father was a Marine Gunny, whose father was a Marine that hit that beach when it began. I will never forget the conversation when my dad and Mr. C realized that dad and the elder Mr. C were on the same piece of real estate very close in time to each other. Although they were from different generations, there was a respect there that developed into a lifelong friendship. I saw a hard as nails Gunny try to hold back a tear at my dad's funeral. He was not successful...
    My dad's generation was truly the Greatest Generation, and the world today is the worse for the lack of men and women like them.
    May their generation have our gratitude, respect and honor as well as the love they will always have coming to them.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I may have shared this before, it’s not D day, but here are a
    couple of pages out of my great uncles flight log. Two things of note, the date, and the reference to the battle line in Belgium.

Also, a photo of him and his crew…my uncle is back row middle.

Last edited by blueboss; 06-23-2022 at 04:22 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Amazing, blueboss

I had a friend at work who’s grand father was in the infantry during WWII. They have old letters from him to his family where he referenced being on the front lines in Belgium on those same dates around Christmas and New Years.

In one if the letters he referenced the comfort they got when they heard the “big boys” flying over on bombing missions, knowing they would make their job easier when they got finished. It was also noted the relief they felt when they heard them flying on the return flight knowing that some had made it out safe and would be making return runs.

It’s plausible to think that my friends grandfather actually heard my great uncles plane flying over, and having it documented in letters. My great uncle was from Missouri, and his grandfather was from California.

Last edited by blueboss; 06-25-2022 at 06:30 PM.