Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Well, headed to the car Doc... What should I expect (A/C)

Well, headed to the car Doc... What should I expect (A/C)

Here's what I'm seeing as it's blowing hot air out of the vents...

2009 Honda Odyssey...

https://youtube.com/shorts/RJkfeAiY1WQ?feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Here's what I'm seeing as it's blowing hot air out of the vents...

2009 Honda Odyssey...

https://youtube.com/shorts/RJkfeAiY1WQ?feature=share
    Start with refrigerant…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

If not coolant, likely compressor. I dropped $1200 on a 2013 Sentra.

Fingers crossed for coolant. Blown fuse. Loose wire. Etc….

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    If not coolant, likely compressor. I dropped $1200 on a 2013 Sentra.

Fingers crossed for coolant. Blown fuse. Loose wire. Etc….

…or relay switch, I’ve had one of those before it was relatively inexpensive.

If it is the refrigerant (RS whatever they’re up to) a problem/expense could be finding out why and where it leaked out. I had a older Mercedes that had a small leak somewhere and it was easier and cheaper to throw in a can every year or so. It kind of depends on how accessible the inlet/outlet ports are. On that particular car they were very easy to get to.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Anyway, the suspense is killing me.

Well, Mrs. C. says go put some freon in, so I'll wait a day and then let the car docs tell me. I just think since it's in the green, it ought to be blowing out less than 90° and more freon won't help. But we'll see.

Bombino

Re: Well, headed to the car Doc... What should I expect (A/C)

That generation of Odyssey is pretty close to my generation of CR-V. A/C issues tend to be as follows:

1. A/C Compressor Relay Failure - appears to be most common for your generation
    2. Low Coolant(note that these use R134a and not Freon)
    3. Compressor Failure/Implosion

Pretty much any of these can occur but the compressor failure is notorious due to it causing the "black death" of the A/C system. The compressor implodes sending shards of metal throughout the A/C system, necessitating replacement of most parts in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    That generation of Odyssey is pretty close to my generation of CR-V. A/C issues tend to be as follows:

1. A/C Compressor Relay Failure - appears to be most common for your generation
    2. Low Coolant(note that these use R134a and not Freon)
    3. Compressor Failure/Implosion

Pretty much any of these can occur but the compressor failure is notorious due to it causing the "black death" of the A/C system. The compressor implodes sending shards of metal throughout the A/C system, necessitating replacement of most parts in the system.
    I guessed the first two, those are the two that failed on me before.

Added some freon (R134a). Didn't help. Didn't overfill it, though, out of an abundance of caution.

Will be out of town tomorrow, back in town Thursday, and out of town Friday and Saturday. Not sure if we'll drop it off tonight or wait til next week.

Added some freon (R134a). Didn't help. Didn't overfill it, though, out of an abundance of caution.

Will be out of town tomorrow, back in town Thursday, and out of town Friday and Saturday. Not sure if we'll drop it off tonight or wait til next week.
    Dang!!

Fab Five

You can't live in Birmingham and not have AC. If the heat doesn't get you the humidity will. Hoping you get a cheap outcome.
    Real Fan since 1958

Can you see the compressor end where the belt is driving it? If you can, is the drive belt in place and turning? If it is then you should be able to have someone start the vehicle while you are standing there watching it as the vehicle is being started. The drive belt will be turning the compressor, but you should be able to hear a fairly audible CLICK and see the clutch engage the compressor if everything is working properly.

If the clutch does not engage the compressor, then most times it is low on refrigerant and it does have an internal safety that prevents the compressor from engaging if low on juice.

If full of juice, then the fuses and relays are next to be checked. The clutch is an electronic device and can sometimes go bad, but that is kinda a rare occurrence. Much more often fuses or relays crap out.

Drive belt turning business end of compressor? Do you hear the clutch engage? Unless you know what you are looking at it is hard to tell if it is engaged or not.

Fuse panel is generally in the living quarters of the vehicle, while the relays are generally found mounted outside in the engine bay.

If refrigerant level is adequate, are the fuse and relay OK?

Are you more confused than when you started reading this? If so, I am sorry.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-04-2022 at 08:17 AM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You can't live in Birmingham and not have AC. If the heat doesn't get you the humidity will. Hoping you get a cheap outcome.
    Son of BEvans lives in Orlando and drives an 07 Camry. He's going without AC, which i consider a health issue. He's been told he needs a new compressor ($1500) and he's not putting that much $ into a 15 y/o car. He's an adult and it's not my car, so we'll see.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Any news to share?
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

It's at the shop now. Franklin Automotive told my wife they were swamped when she brought it by, but they would try to squeeze it in tomorrow morning.

They have made many thousands of dollars on our repairs over the years, so they usually manage to find a way to extract more money from us quickly. I think that will happen tomorrow as well.

I will update.

Right side blower motor, some leak, put dye in, evac and filled, blowing cold, filter and miscellaneous, $762.
    Hopefully it won't go any higher.

^I know it doesn't feel like it, but it could've been worse.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^I know it doesn't feel like it, but it could've been worse.
    A heck of a lot worse...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

My wife and I were guessing last night what it would be today.

She said $1200, I said $1600. We both win.

I remember the days when I used to say that every repair was $300. Those were fun times. Of course, gas was $1 a gallon, too.

My wife and I were guessing last night what it would be today.

She said $1200, I said $1600. We both win.

I remember the days when I used to say that every repair was $300. Those were fun times. Of course, gas was $1 a gallon, too.
    I had a Passat a couple years ago, no matter what it was for any other vehicle, adding $200-$500 was a good bet.