Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: So...frustrated non-audiophile here

So...frustrated non-audiophile here

I have really struggled in listening to podcasts, audio books, TV shows, ballgames or anything but music recently when I Iisten through headphones. Basically, dialogue fails.

I mean, I hear it fine normally, but if I'm on an airplane, or mowing the grass, the droning sounds just keep me from hearing it.

I just have cheap Bluetooth headsets. Do I need something with noise cancellation to work? I always thought that was sort of a gimmick designed to give you a great listening experience, when that is mostly irrelevant to me.

The one time I had noise cancellation headphones it seemed like it gave me a headache, too. But that may have been me, or the cheap set of headphones I had.

That's my first question.

The second question is one I doubt anyone here can help me with. I've seen you guys discuss your headphones. I'm king of the $15 headsets, earbuds kinda thing, not the $300 crowd for you guys. Do you have any recommendations for some knock around earbuds that might work better for me?

I'm currently using a Boltune set of earbuds which I mostly used while running, an Aukey set with a wire between them, and an Onn Walmart brand that I picked up when I forgot my headphones when I was in Cincinnati and now use while running. But none of them allow me to hear when I'm cutting the grass.

Duh. Nevermind.

I have the solution already and didn't think of it. People swear by the procedure of putting your regular ear buds in, then put regular hearing protection ear muffs over them.

Seems so simple. That has to work, no?

I'd rather not bring them on a plane, but that's probably the best solution.

Re: So...frustrated non-audiophile here

Darrell, I had a relatively cheap (regularly $60, but got them on a price mistake by Amazon for $11) pair of Cowin bluetooth over the ear noise cancelling headphones. A bracket on the headset broke after 3 years and made them unusable, and the noise cancellation wasn't robust, but I think that style might serve your purpose.

I just looked and Anker (which is a brand I like) has a pair with similar features for $54.99:

https://smile.amazon.com/Soundcore-C...s%2C149&sr=1-4

I think your idea would work well, too.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I have really struggled in listening to podcasts, audio books, TV shows, ballgames or anything but music recently when I Iisten through headphones. Basically, dialogue fails.

I mean, I hear it fine normally, but if I'm on an airplane, or mowing the grass, the droning sounds just keep me from hearing it.

I just have cheap Bluetooth headsets. Do I need something with noise cancellation to work? I always thought that was sort of a gimmick designed to give you a great listening experience, when that is mostly irrelevant to me.

The one time I had noise cancellation headphones it seemed like it gave me a headache, too. But that may have been me, or the cheap set of headphones I had.

That's my first question.

The second question is one I doubt anyone here can help me with. I've seen you guys discuss your headphones. I'm king of the $15 headsets, earbuds kinda thing, not the $300 crowd for you guys. Do you have any recommendations for some knock around earbuds that might work better for me?

I'm currently using a Boltune set of earbuds which I mostly used while running, an Aukey set with a wire between them, and an Onn Walmart brand that I picked up when I forgot my headphones when I was in Cincinnati and now use while running. But none of them allow me to hear when I'm cutting the grass.
    Noise cancellation can be extremely important in the mid-range "vocals" frequencies. There are a few different kinds of noise cancellation technologies:

• The most basic is passive noise cancellation which basically keep the outside sounds out (more like noise blocking than cancellation per se). In this case, in-ear models are your best bet. Good ones combine the effectiveness of ear plugs with headphones. The biggest advantage for these are that they are cheap and don't require power. You can get very good quality ones like the KBear KS1 and KZ ZSN Pro for around $30-30.
    • Single mic, noise cancelling - Older technology, did OK with some higher frequencies but otherwise not great on others. Also prone to sometimes amplifying frequencies due to constructive interference. I only mention these because some cheap ones still use this technology and it SUCKS. It can easily cause the headaches you mention.
    • Multi-mic noise cancelling (like found in the Sony 1000MX series, the Bose QC series, and the Apple AirPod Max) - These use a number of mics located on each headphone and combine it with more advanced algorithms to dramatically improve the noise cancellation. My $100 Sony hear.on2's (a bit more budget than the 1000MX3 or 1000MX4s) do a great job at deleting most high and medium noise on a plane, to the point that when I take them off I am often momentarily surprised by how much noisier things are.

If you want an unbiased list of reviews, RTings.com does a great job at reviewing all sorts of headphones. They evalaute them for both sound quality and noise cancellation. In your case, this list might be helpful:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...ing-headphones
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 03-30-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks BEvans and Pedro.

I was leaning toward just using my existing earbuds and a hearing protector headset, but I kinda like the idea of the wired headset with the passive noise suppression thing.

I think I will need to get an adapter to have it fit a USB-C connection (I hated giving up my 3.5 jack), but I like the idea that everybody will see it so they know I'm not ignoring them, yet it would be light and easy to carry, like on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Darrell, I had a relatively cheap (regularly $60, but got them on a price mistake by Amazon for $11) pair of Cowin bluetooth over the ear noise cancelling headphones. A bracket on the headset broke after 3 years and made them unusable, and the noise cancellation wasn't robust, but I think that style might serve your purpose.

I just looked and Anker (which is a brand I like) has a pair with similar features for $54.99:

https://smile.amazon.com/Soundcore-C...s%2C149&sr=1-4

I think your idea would work well, too.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Cowan model is what I had that I thought gave me a headache when I tried the noise suppression thing. But after reading Pedro's description, maybe I should give that another try with a better name like the Anker brand you mentioned.

Good choices.

Darrell,

I cannot tell you how happy I am with my Soundcore devices.

I have the overear Life Q35 for $130. Great sound. I think better than the Bose or the Sony. Music tone is subjective, and I like a more full feel than tinny.

My wife wanted some earbuds so got her the Life P3. They are really good at $79. I have not heard the Liberty Air 2 Pro but they are supposed to be a step up from the Life P3.

I was so impressed with her Life P3 I invested in the Liberty 3 Pro buds for myself. Wow! So rich in tone. Only had them a week but very impressed. https://us.soundcore.com/collections...ducts/a3952011
    Last edited by VirginiaCat; 03-31-2022 at 12:55 PM.

I may take a look at one of those Soundcore. The ratings on the active noise cancellation, or noise suppression (by far, and almost the only, most important factor). Remember, I'm not at all concerned about music. This is so I can listen to podcasts, television shows I have downloaded, ballgames, etc. while mowing or flying in a plane.

Until I tried to listen to something on the plane, I did not remember how loud the noise is. I can completely relate to Pedro being surprised at the noise when he takes off his good noise cancelling headphones. In my case, I wasn't suppressing it enough. My lawnmower also shows me that I'm not suppressing it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Darrell,

I cannot tell you I am with my Soundcore devices.

I have the overear Life Q35 for $130. Great sound. I think better than the Bose or the Sony. Music tone is subjective, and I like a more full feel than tinny.

My wife wanted some earbuds so got her the Life P3. They are really good at $79. I have not heard the Liberty Air 2 Pro but they are supposed to be a step up from the Life P3.

I was so impressed with her Life P3 I invested in the Liberty 3 Pro buds for myself. Wow! So rich in tone. Only had them a week but very impressed. https://us.soundcore.com/collections...ducts/a3952011
    I have a set of Soundcore Liberty wireless earbuds I like, and Mrs. BEvans loves her Soundcore bluetooth speaker.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19