Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might As Well Go Ahead And Get Started, Day Light Savings Time Starts This Weekend

Might As Well Go Ahead And Get Started, Day Light Savings Time Starts This Weekend

Spring ahead on Sunday, go ahead and start getting a little extra sleep each night so you won’t be tagged out next Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Might As Well Go Ahead And Get Started, Day Light Savings Time Starts This Weeken

Already?!?
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Might As Well Go Ahead And Get Started, Day Light Savings Time Starts This Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Already?!?
    Yep, I know most on here are excited and can’t wait until Sunday at 2:00.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: Might As Well Go Ahead And Get Started, Day Light Savings Time Starts This Weeken

Senator Tuberville will be sponsoring legislation to make Daylight time permanent.
    Real Fan since 1958

My choice would be permanent DST (spring forward, never fall back) but I'd be OK with permanent Standard Time, too. Just stop moving the clocks back and forth. It's one of the dumber things we do as a society.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I think we should move it randomly once every couple of months. They could use a cell phone alert thing to let us all know when it's going to happen, like 1 hour notice.

Always leave the enemy guessing.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Everyone sleep in an extra hour this morning, or go to bed an hour early last night?

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Everyone sleep in an extra hour this morning, or go to bed an hour early last night?

No but hopefully I’ll be turning in a little early tonight. Oh who am I kidding lol. There will be brackets!

Well, I know I was still up and awake after midnight yesterday time, but I was not awake at 2 AM when it turned to 3 AM. I awoke at 7 AM, but I think that was 6 AM. I'm so confused. I'm trying to do some work and packing so I suspect I will be up fairly late tonight, and I know I will be hitting the road pretty early tomorrow morning for a 500 mile road trip.

Just the opposite. Stayed up way too late watching a movie, so lost sleep over usual and then lost the extra hour. Took the double whammy.

I knew it Sunday morning too.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I actually had a positive time change occurrence happen to me today.

I moved all the clocks up in the house, car etc., but failed to set my watch up an hour. Today, I looked at my watch and thought, Jeesh, the day is really dragging, then I realized I hadn’t changed my watch, so boom! lost an hour of work…

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Senate unanimously passes "Sunshine Protection Act" making DST permanent--heads to House:

https://www.cnet.com/culture/senate-...ime-permanent/
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

A few thoughts on that article.

First, this comment from Dem Senator Ron Wyden (not sure the state):

"Making daylight saving permanent would give folks an hour back of sunshine during the winter months when we need it most."

Uh, what? Well it adds an hour of light to the end of the day, but it takes away an hour of light at the start of the day, so we're all waking up and going to work in the dark. For example in LExington at the peak of winter solstice sunrise was 7:53am. With DST permanent that will now be 8:53am. So it will be almost 9am before the sun comes up. It will be after 8:30am for all of December, all of January and into mid February.

So no it doesn't give anyone more daylight. It simply shifts it around some. maybe we like that, but it's not "more daylight".

second, as that article says, that's really not our natural rhythm to sleep, nor is it conducive to agriculture, which is a much more morning activity in most cases.

The sun isn't supposed to rise at 9am IMO. As much as I like it being light later as I'm a night person, I dread having to get up in pitch black at 7ish to 730ish every day for months. I'll be in the car going to work or at work before the sun comes up. Not looking forward to it, as driving to work in the dark sounds fairly depressing, esp. since I will still be leaving in the dark most of the time.

I like longer daylight, but there's a price. Really I don't get why everyone seems to dislike the current system. It's far more balanced to the wobble of the planet and tries to keep us closer to being awake in the light and asleep in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    A few thoughts on that article.

First, this comment from Dem Senator Ron Wyden (not sure the state):

"Making daylight saving permanent would give folks an hour back of sunshine during the winter months when we need it most."

Uh, what? Well it adds an hour of light to the end of the day, but it takes away an hour of light at the start of the day, so we're all waking up and going to work in the dark. For example in LExington at the peak of winter solstice sunrise was 7:53am. With DST permanent that will now be 8:53am. So it will be almost 9am before the sun comes up. It will be after 8:30am for all of December, all of January and into mid February.

So no it doesn't give anyone more daylight. It simply shifts it around some. maybe we like that, but it's not "more daylight".

second, as that article says, that's really not our natural rhythm to sleep, nor is it conducive to agriculture, which is a much more morning activity in most cases.

The sun isn't supposed to rise at 9am IMO. As much as I like it being light later as I'm a night person, I dread having to get up in pitch black at 7ish to 730ish every day for months. I'll be in the car going to work or at work before the sun comes up. Not looking forward to it, as driving to work in the dark sounds fairly depressing, esp. since I will still be leaving in the dark most of the time.

I like longer daylight, but there's a price. Really I don't get why everyone seems to dislike the current system. It's far more balanced to the wobble of the planet and tries to keep us closer to being awake in the light and asleep in the dark.
    Kids will be standing at the bus stop in the pitch dark, plus those walking to school or riding their bikes could get a little dicy.

My kids stood in the dark, anyway. Most school districts start school around 8-8:30 (they should start it later, but that's another topic). And most schools don't have enough buses to do just one run, so they start verrrrry early for the first run to get in a second run.

I don't like the current system because it's stupid--it's the height of Government overreach (uh oh, maybe we're heading toward moving this to the Barber Shop!). Some group of bureaucrats and politicians arbitrarily decided on a certain day we're all going to start doing things at a different time (remember, several years ago they changed the day we start doing it, too), and then 7 months later we're going to switch back. Libertarians should be jumping up and down on a table pointing to this as an example of why we need less government in our lives.

Speaking personally, it messes with my sleep patterns, which are already kind of messed up now that I've reached a certain age, and it gets tougher for me to adjust as I get older.

Just pick one.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-16-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Kids will be standing at the bus stop in the pitch dark, plus those walking to school or riding their bikes could get a little dicy.

Just start school an hour later and leave my time alone. Attach the clock to sun time and leave it alone.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    My kids stood in the dark, anyway. Most school districts start school around 8-8:30 (they should start it later, but that's another topic). And most schools don't have enough buses to do just one run, so they start verrrrry early for the first run to get in a second run.

I don't like the current system because it's stupid--it's the height of Government overreach (uh oh, maybe we're heading toward moving this to the Barber Shop!). Some group of bureaucrats and politicians arbitrarily decided on a certain day we're all going to start doing things at a different time (remember, several years ago they changed the day we start doing it, too), and then 7 months later we're going to switch back. Libertarians should be jumping up and down on a table pointing to this as an example of why we need less government in our lives.

Speaking personally, it messes with my sleep patterns, which are already kind of messed up now that I've reached a certain age, and it gets tougher for me to adjust as I get older.

Just pick one.
    A few thoughts:

1. I thought I was the biggest Libertarian here, but wanting the government to stay out of the keeping of official time... I tip my hat to you sir.

2. I'd take you more to heart I think if you didn't wish for snow every fall...

3. You are obviously very far from alone. It seems most people hate the switch. Personally I don't get the issue with it, it's one hour twice a year. My sleep varies by more than an hour on a regular, almost daily basis. it just seems a very temporary inconvenience to me. Clearly many feel differently.

To me this schedule does a better job of actually aligning to our planet's behavior, keeping us more evenly in daylight on our assigned (arbitrarily assigned by society I might add, time wasn't nearly as important before clocks) tasks and jobs. Since the earth wobbles a bit it makes sense we would adjust our clocks the same way we adjust our calendars to its rotation around the sun.

For me it's just going to be as depressing to be driving to work in the dark in the morning in winter as it is to drive home in the dark now, and maybe more so for me personally. I like more light at night, but I don't like waking up, getting ready, dressed and out the door in the dark either. Just my .02.

It seems to be a matter of local preference anyway. Do I want to be on permanent Central Standard time, 500 miles from the western boundary of CST? Better than the alternative. Does western Texas want to be in Eastern Standard time? I’d be surprised. Barely dawn at 9am? Thanks to Texas, central time is huge, and extends far west of the eastern edge of Mountain time. Eastern Oregon in the Central Standard time zone is 2 hours off its actual time zone

Lexington KY is on the western edge of the eastern time zone, and bowling green is on the eastern edge of the central time zone.

Having traveled to Lexington from Bowling Green a lot in the summer, I can see why Lexington likes the move and can see why Bowling Green hates it. In the middle of summer Lex does not get dark until damn near 10 pm but it is still dark at 7 am
    seeya
    dan

Bigsky, where you are in the time zone matters a lot.

I get the issue in winter for nightfall, b/c in St. Louis (close to the east edge of cst relatively speaking) I got out of class most days at 4:30pm and looked outside and it was already pitch black. that was also depressing so I get it.

Where Lexington sits, actually pretty close to the western side of EST, it's the opposite of course. So here without the shift most of the area will be at work watching the sunrise.

There's no perfect solution due to not just tastes but the fact that we're turning a sphere into rectangles.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Lexington KY is on the western edge of the eastern time zone, and bowling green is on the eastern edge of the central time zone.

Having traveled to Lexington from Bowling Green a lot in the summer, I can see why Lexington likes the move and can see why Bowling Green hates it. In the middle of summer Lex does not get dark until damn near 10 pm but it is still dark at 7 am
    Exactly. St. Louis is still close enough to be the same way.

And your'e right, sunset here in summer is more like 9:30 at the longest days. And yes it's still dark at 7 even in earliest mornings. Without the shift it will be dark until almost 9am in the winter.

All depends on how close you are to the time shifts.

For me, the time change has never really been a problem for me going up or down. The supposed loss of an hour of sleep in the spring doesn’t bother me, or lower the quality of my life, just like the the supposed gained hour of sleep in the fall doesn’t enrich my life and make me magically more productive.

After grade school during which my parents controlled when I went to bed and woke up, after that I was never really on a strict sleep schedule. I have always disliked waking up in the morning unnaturally, but going to bed earlier doesn’t make me like waking up unnaturally any better.

My career choices have dictated my sleeping habits or more so have dictated when I have to wake up. If it really bothered me that much I could have always made the choice to choose a different career. For now I wake up when I have to (except on days that I don’t have anything to do) and I go to bed when I’m sleepy. The up and down twice a year really doesn’t effect me one way or the other.

Oh well, that’s just me, I know there are plenty of things that I don’t struggle with that others do, just like there are plenty of things I struggle with that others don’t….

Last edited by blueboss; 03-16-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Last year in West Texas I woke up before dawn and it was after 8am Central STANDARD time. When I got to Appalachicola after four days (just days) of driving it was still central Standard time but dawn was before 7am.

Also, north/south matters as well.

And yes, once upon a time western KY was a mish mash of times. By county I think.

China is all one time zone, or a tank runs over you.

Where the sun comes up about ten in the morning and the sun goes down about three in the day.

Maybe we should just all realize how keeping of official time is just a racist/sexist/homophobic white male cis plot so we don't express our OWN time.

I identify as it being 6am when the sun rises, and 6pm when it sets, every day of the year. Everyone needs to accept that including all my clients or I'm going to get triggered and have to go to my safe space.

Which oddly enough is a gun range. weird huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Where the sun comes up about ten in the morning and the sun goes down about three in the day.

In some of those hollows the sun’s only out for an hour or two no matter what time of year it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...22cYE1_-Cs9qu4

Sun rises 9:30am in December here, if this is adopted