Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I’ve known all the Governors and Senators from Montana since 1992. But I’m light on famous people.

Sandra Day O’Connor
    Cactus on T Bar V ranch time
    Richard Nixon
    Duffy Daugherty
    Bill Monroe
    Richard Nixon seems like a teaser, but I’m at still guessing Ole Tricky Dick as the ruse. Even if I’m wrong it’s got to be a good story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

Perhaps the most special..

Pee Wee King (I remember when I was a lad he played with friends and family here in Radcliff)

Tex Ritter (Also as a lad, he played a daytime show here in town by the old skating rink (now a liquor store, etc..) I remember my Papaw and his similar aged friends talked with Tex. I just wanted to run around and play.

Jerry Lee Lewis (Played a show in ETown at the Armory when I was just a little older. My Uncle provided maintenance and electrical service. We held the door for him as he walked into the ballroom.
    He had the most star like quality about him up close of anyone I ever met.
    An aura that left a huge impression on me

Earnest Tubb Similar aura around him. Met him at a steel guitar convention in the nineties. Like a real cowboy and a imposing figure, but with a great smile that lit up the room. Other semi-celebrities' wilted in his presence.

Johnny Paycheck At another convention in Nashville I stood out back of the hotel convention hall and got to meet him. Asked if we wanted a drink and another fellow said he had one. Johnny said "This here is.. Pure...Tennessee...Moonshine"
    and belly laughed with us.

A small fellow with a huge voice and came across in person just like he sounds on recordings. His movements were kind of unique and very sudden.
    Kind of like a musical version of Wheeler as his head movements were quick as were his facial expressions. He was exactly how he comes across in voice. The real deal in that his voice was as powerful saying a word as singing a song like the one below.

He done his whole Take this job and shove it album for us in a hotel convention room. Big Jim Vest, who is a great Nashville steel player and a good friend, played on that album and many other huge ones.

Last edited by kingcat; 02-18-2022 at 05:49 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I’ve known all the Governors and Senators from Montana since 1992. But I’m light on famous people.

Sandra Day O’Connor
    Cactus on T Bar V ranch time
    Richard Nixon
    Duffy Daugherty
    Bill Monroe
    I will guess Sandra Day O'Connor.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Shook hands with Tricky Dick in Downtown Louisville KY and we spoke, before the MLB All Star game in Cincy. 1970.
    Last edited by bigsky; 02-18-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Sandy was supposed to come visit and do a fundraising dinner, but got sick and canceled. As close as I got.!

Shook hands with Tricky Dick in Downtown Louisville KY and we spoke, before the MLB All Star game in Cincy. 1970.
    Very cool, given Nixon’s story.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Sky, Tom Brooks “Cactus” and Foster Brooks were friends with my dad growing up in Louisville’s West End. and stayed in touch the rest of their lives. The drunk act that became Foster’s calling card was actually an act their dad played out. My dad always told Foster he had to work harder to be as good as his dad. IIRC there were something like 8 kids growing up in that family. There were kids running in and out of that place at all hours of the day. The only times I ever met Foster were at his Ice Cream stand on Bardstown Rd. In Buechel.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Sky, Tom Brooks “Cactus” and Foster Brooks were friends with my dad growing up in Louisville’s West End. and stayed in touch the rest of their lives. The drunk act that became Foster’s calling card was actually an act their dad played out. My dad always told Foster he had to work harder to be as good as his dad. IIRC there were something like 8 kids growing up in that family. There were kids running in and out of that place at all hours of the day. The only times I ever met Foster were at his Ice Cream stand on Bardstown Rd. In Buechel.
    . Great story. I did not know the Foster Brooks connection to Cactus! But it makes sense now that my adopted Dad was a big fan of Foster Brooks.. Ice cream in Beuchel meant “Fanelli’s” to my family. Building the new road lessened my ice cream intake. I think we talked about the Ford connection with my Uncle Charlie the mech engineer and your Dad—Charlie grew up in west Louisville too. And I did go on T bar V on my birthday. 1957 or 1958 I think. Dad’s younger sister Janet and Uncle Charlie moved to Memphis, he stayed with and retired from Ford and they still live in a Memphis suburb. I was headed there after seeing you but she didnt want visitors due to COVid.

I still cue up some of the Foster Brooks bits, esp. with Dean Martin. He would bust up Dean Martin like Tim Conway did Harvey Corman. His bit on the old roasts are classics.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I crossed paths with Foster Brooks at Hurstbourne CC back in the late 70’s during his pro/celebrity tournament.

Fab Five

. Great story. I did not know the Foster Brooks connection to Cactus! But it makes sense now that my adopted Dad was a big fan of Foster Brooks.. Ice cream in Beuchel meant “Fanelli’s” to my family. Building the new road lessened my ice cream intake. I think we talked about the Ford connection with my Uncle Charlie the mech engineer and your Dad—Charlie grew up in west Louisville too. And I did go on T bar V on my birthday. 1957 or 1958 I think. Dad’s younger sister Janet and Uncle Charlie moved to Memphis, he stayed with and retired from Ford and they still live in a Memphis suburb. I was headed there after seeing you but she didnt want visitors due to COVid.
    Fanelli’s was a favorite. Best ice cream ever. One of the Fanelli kids is a tennis pro here in Birmingham. Fanelli’s was out by Buechel Bank Rd on Old Bardstown. Foster’s was soft serve ice cream. It was up near the Sahara Night Club and Skyway Drive-in.
    Real Fan since 1958