Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

Rupp's Runt

Re: Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

I don't even have 5 neighbors, much less have I met 5 famous people. I did have a pretty long conversation with Neal McCoy (country singer) once. Really nice guy.

Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

It's not like I am friends with any of these folks or anything, but I guess I have to come in touch with a number of them over the years. Plus, I'm old. I may try to post five more, with one being a lie, since I did so poorly on the first one and made it pretty easy to guess.

Fab Five

Bill Murray
    Willie Mays
    Nelson Rockefellar
    Jerry West
    Paul Hornung

I did not see any remaining that had not been guessed.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Bill Murray
    Willie Mays
    Nelson Rockefellar
    Jerry West
    Paul Hornung

I did not see any remaining that had not been guessed.
    Ooh, neat list.

I'll take a shot at Jerry West?

Bill Murray. He’s a UL fan, or was.

I will guess Nelson Rockefeller for Mick.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Oh, like Ronald Reagan for me. I did shake his hand, but it was just in passing. Did the same with my girlfriend Crystal on the front row.

I guess you could self-define it. I wouldn't personally say close proximity would include same room, but it doesn't require actual meeting, I guess.
    No one guessed my to Georges. The reason I asked was because I did not personally meet George Bush but was in close proximity to him as in the wings of the stage when he addressed the AMVETS national convention in Louisville which iirc was in 88’. He also waved from the motorcade as it passed by us standing in the side wall.

I’ve never seen in person or met George Clooney.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I don't even have 5 neighbors, much less have I met 5 famous people. I did have a pretty long conversation with Neal McCoy (country singer) once. Really nice guy.
    I'm like you. I can only think of one reasonably famous person I've met, though I did know her more than just in passing. I went to high school with Ashley Judd. One year for sure, maybe 2. that's about it.

I do think people on TV shows are talking directly to me though. Does that count?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Ooh, neat list.

I'll take a shot at Jerry West?
    I met Jerry West at the Birmingham Tip Off Club back when I belonged. Got to speak with him. Big Thrill
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Bill Murray. He’s a UL fan, or was.

Rode the PATH with Bill from Newark to Manhattan after the North Carolina East Regional Final. We both stood against the end wall next to each other. I had no clue who he was. When UK fans who were also Reds fans got off at Hoboken they recognized him and started asking him if he had been to Spring Training in AZ. At that time I knew he was someone famous. His son and Grandson were with him and I struck up a conversation about grandson playing Angry Birds. About 5 minutes before the end of the ride I figured it out.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post

I met Rocky on the Belle of Louisville in '64. I was in Jr. High doing volunteer work for in opponent in the Republican Presidential Primary. I was doing counter intelligence work. LOL.
    Real Fan since 1958

I met Rocky on the Belle of Louisville in '64. I was in Jr. High doing volunteer work for in opponent in the Republican Presidential Primary. I was doing counter intelligence work. LOL.
    That leaves Willie Mays and Hornung, since just about everybody that’s lived in Louisville has met Paul Hornung, I’ll go with Willie Mays, unless you’re using trickeration and you’re one of few from Louisville that hasn’t met Hornung.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    That leaves Willie Mays and Hornung, since just about everybody that’s lived in Louisville has met Paul Hornung, I’ll go with Willie Mays, unless you’re using trickeration and you’re one of few from Louisville that hasn’t met Hornung.

I met Willie Mays and had my picture made with him at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh in 1958.

Ya”ll win the Golden Sombrero! Paul Hornung grew up on my street but moved before I was born. My dad used to run into him regularly at Flaherty’s in duPont. Alas, Paul never came to Butchertown Pub Or Phoenix Hill, so I never met him.
    Real Fan since 1958

I met Willie Mays and had my picture made with him at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh in 1958.

Ya”ll win the Golden Sombrero! Paul Hornung grew up on my street but moved before I was born. My dad used to run into him regularly at Flaherty’s in duPont. Alas, Paul never came to Butchertown Pub Or Phoenix Hill, so I never met him.
    In my youth I tended bar at Jim Porters, I had the honor of asking Hornung to leave at closing time on several occasions. He never wanted to leave, and would even pull the ole “do you know who I am” routine. I always responded with yes, we all know you are, but if you want to be able to come back you need to leave now…please.

Porters is also where I met Jerry West.

Love that pick! Great misdirection - Hornung would have been my last pick because of geography.

Fab Five

Love that pick! Great misdirection - Hornung would have been my last pick because of geography.
    I left Ashley Judd, PeeWee Reese and Richie Havens off the list. Of all of them Richie was my favorite. Spent 20 minutes talking to him in his tent after a concert. Nicest person!
    Real Fan since 1958

I left Ashley Judd, PeeWee Reese and Richie Havens off the list. Of all of them Richie was my favorite. Spent 20 minutes talking to him in his tent after a concert. Nicest person!
    Curious where you met Ashley. As I said her I know. that's about all I know.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Most of mine are very much in passing, minimal, but I'll post another 5.

1. Ashley Judd
    2. Andre Dawson
    3. Aaron Harrison
    4. Anthony Davis
    5. Angela Cartwright (Lost in Space, Sound of Music, etc. - not a relative of mine)

And no, I don't have 5 per initial, just sorta worked out that way for this one (well, 4 of them).

Most of mine are very much in passing, minimal, but I'll post another 5.

1. Ashley Judd
    2. Andre Dawson
    3. Aaron Harrison
    4. Anthony Davis
    5. Angela Cartwright (Lost in Space, Sound of Music, etc. - not a relative of mine)
    I’d say Anthony Davis might be a ruse.

How about….

Neil Sedaka
    Willie Nelson
    Karl Malone
    The Hager Bros.
    Tiger Woods

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Curious where you met Ashley. As I said her I know. that's about all I know.
    Cameron Mills had a Charity Golf Tournament at Connemara Golf Club. Each foursome got to play several holes with celebrities. Tubby, Mumme, Sam Bowie, Jeff Shepard all played. Ashley was the Designated Putter for all groups on the 9th green. We all were able to get together for a picnic lunch and pictures.

On the second hole at Connemara, about 190 yds, Bowie pulls out his 9 iron. That club was longer than my driver. He hit it about 6 ft from the cup. My 3 iron was short.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

How about….

Neil Sedaka
    Willie Nelson
    Karl Malone
    The Hager Bros.
    Tiger Woods

Willie
    Real Fan since 1958

Willie
    Nope, I ended up back stage at a Farm Aid concert in Louisville at Cardinal Stadium. I was in the food tent going through the buffet with Willie right in front of me. We exchanged idle chit chat regarding the food, the day, and the crowd.

I’d say Anthony Davis might be a ruse.

UK basketball players have been some of my easiest ones before Covid when I would go to the SEC or NCAA tournament and cover for the site, or every few years head to Lexington for a game. Talk to all of the players postgame in dressing room (postseason), etc. and have for years. But didn't for A.D. I did, however, in New Orleans after he arrived in the NBA, courtesy of my brother in law and somebody he knew with the Pelicans.

So strike 1.

How about….

Neil Sedaka
    Willie Nelson
    Karl Malone
    The Hager Bros.
    Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods?

Tiger Woods?
    Correct, even though I was standing a few feet from him when he hit his second shot on the par 5 (iirc number 13, but the course has changed since then) on the back side at Valhalla in the 2000 PGA. He was going for the green and crushed the ball and I said “holy s@&$t” kind of louder than I meant, he gave me a nod and a wry smile as started walking.

So I can’t really claim that one…

UK basketball players have been some of my easiest ones before Covid when I would go to the SEC or NCAA tournament and cover for the site, or every few years head to Lexington for a game. Talk to all of the players postgame in dressing room (postseason), etc. and have for years. But didn't for A.D. I did, however, in New Orleans after he arrived in the NBA, courtesy of my brother in law and somebody he knew with the Pelicans.

So strike 1.
    I was thinking of that when I picked AD, but I thought you were throwing a curve.

I’ve known all the Governors and Senators from Montana since 1992. But I’m light on famous people.

Sandra Day O’Connor
    Cactus on T Bar V ranch time
    Richard Nixon
    Duffy Daugherty
    Bill Monroe