Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

... one has to be a lie.

See how fast you can guess mine.

1. President Ronald Reagan
    2. Country singer Crystal Gayle
    3. NBA All-Star Charles Barkley
    4. 11th Circuit Judge Bill Pryor
    5. Comedian/actor Eddie Murphy

Re: Name 5 people you have met/close proximity with... But

Tim Riley - Gold City
    Darrel Waltrip - NASCAR legend
    Ken Kercheval - Actor best known for Dallas
    Harold Reid - The Statler Brothers
    George Younce - Cathedrals

And for yours I guess Eddie Murphy
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Muhammad Ali
    Smothers Brothers
    George Clooney
    George Bush Sr
    Robert Plant

Pappy guess would be Ken Kerchival
    Darrel guess would be Crystal Gayle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Heaven Lee-- Nashville Performer
    Dolly Parton--Country Singer
    Lou Brock--Professional baseball player
    Walter Payton--Professional football player
    Red Skelton--Comedian/actor
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Stan Lee
    John Malkovich
    Deon Sanders
    Zachary Taylor
    Jeff Bezos

Darrell lies about Eddie Murphy
    Pappy = Harold Reid
    Boss = Ali

Jimmy Carter
    Billy Ray Cyrus
    Meadowlark Lemon
    Rick Pitino
    Bill Monroe

Darrell: Eddie Murphy
    Pappy: Darrell Waltrip
    Blueboss: Robert Plant
    Dan: Walter Payton
    Catfan: Jeff Bezos
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Three Swings and misses so far for the Pappy guesses.
    Kind of narrows it down some...

Dan - Dolly Parton
    Blueboss - Ali
    Catfan - Jeff Bezos
    Bevans - Meadowlark Lemon
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 02-10-2022 at 08:47 AM.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Dan: Red Skelton

Waited in the lobby of his hotel in Nashville off and on for 2 days hoping to see him and get an autograph. At the end of 2 days I discovered he was in Atlanta.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

Waited in the lobby of his hotel in Nashville off and on for 2 days hoping to see him and get an autograph. At the end of 2 days I discovered he was in Atlanta.
    That would stink.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Three Swings and misses so far for the Pappy guesses.
    Kind of narrows it down some...

Dan - Dolly Parton
    Blueboss - Ali
    Catfan - Jeff Bezos
    Bevans - Meadowlark Lemon
    Strike 1. My parents took me to a Globetrotters game at the Memorial Field House in Huntington, WV in 1972. Somehow we had 4th row midcourt seats. An amazing performance, and they stayed after the game and signed autographs. Meadowlark was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Sorry Dan, I totally missed your message!

BEvans…Billy Ray.

Here’s mine:

Stan Lee…in line behind him in airport security. He was tiny lol.

John Malkovic…was 3’ from him and Diane Lane when I was an extra in Secretariat.

Zachary Taylor…at the national cemetery in Louisville. No one said they had to be alive.

Jeff Bezos…was in Seattle for a small ceremony 6 or 7 years ago and he popped in for like 30 seconds.

Deon Sanders…he almost took my head off with a foul ball down the third baseline at Slugger Field but wasn’t very close.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Strike 1. My parents took me to a Globetrotters game at the Memorial Field House in Huntington, WV in 1972. Somehow we had 4th row midcourt seats. An amazing performance, and they stayed after the game and signed autographs. Meadowlark was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    BEvans…Billy Ray.
    Strike 2! I went to HS with him. Back then his claim to fame was WR on our AAA state title team and dating the prom queen. Later broke her heart when he became a musician and started doing the things musicians do. But in HS he was just a good ol' boy.

Crud. I thought I would fool you by making it seem like he'd be very unlikely for me to meet, which would throw you off. Didn't fool you.

Yes, Eddie Murphy.

I probably have posted my Reagan picture before. Met Crystal Gayle when I was a college student and she played a concert there. I've met Barkley a few times, first time at a "young lawyers" function at a local bar. Bill Pryor was in school with me and I was his "mentor" his first year as we were from the same undergrad-to-law-school (not that I did anything).

Jimmy Carter
    Billy Ray Cyrus
    Meadowlark Lemon
    Rick Pitino
    Bill Monroe
    Jimmy Carter? Not fair guessing when others have guessed already, but still just a WAG and could be any of the 3 remaining. Great list.

Jimmy Carter
    Billy Ray Cyrus
    Meadowlark Lemon
    Rick Pitino
    Bill Monroe

Darrell: Eddie Murphy
    Pappy: Darrell Waltrip
    Blueboss: Robert Plant
    Dan: Walter Payton
    Catfan: Jeff Bezos

I never thought of Pitino as being famous, but I sat 2 tables away from him and his post game crew at Malones and watched, and listened to him berate a poor unfortunate waitress for 5 minutes.
    seeya
    dan

That would stink.
    Total bummer, except for the fact that Heaven Lee was staying at that hotel and I got to see her, in the lobby 2 or 3 times, in her blue jeans and tank top. Quite a sight, but she was dressed. I got an autographed picture of her on stage performing her routine at the Black Poodle club on Printers Alley.

That was her home venue when in Nashville. Sometimes she would stay there for 2 or 3 months performing 3 shows a night to sold out crowds. Older friends told me that to get thru the door for a show, you had to know someone at the club that would help you get in.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 02-10-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Jimmy Carter? Not fair guessing when others have guessed already, but still just a WAG and could be any of the 3 remaining. Great list.
    I never thought of Pitino as being famous, but I sat 2 tables away from him and his post game crew at Malones and watched, and listened to him berate a poor unfortunate waitress for 5 minutes.
    So Pitino's the correct answer for me. In 98 a few of us on the old AOL forum got a tour of Memorial Coliseum and met Mr. Wildcat and Tubby, but I've never met Pitino (and from what I understand from Dan and others, that's probably a good thing.)

I got to shake hands with President Carter at a White House Rose Garden reception for Boys Nation in 1980. And I met Bill Monroe at a concert Tom T Hall arranged/hosted in Carter County in 1974. Ralph Emory MC'd. I think it was held at a baseball field or fairgrounds, and they had a temporary stage set up. Anyone could just walk around backstage and mingle with the artists. Crazy.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 02-10-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Total aside, but Re Pitino I have met him only to shake hands at some meet ant greet thing once with no names and didn't talk, but I was around him on more than one occasion, and at that time had several friends/family at UKAA and other UK areas where he was involved (like Memorial Coliseum staff, concessions, etc.).

Saying he's a complete ass-hat is an understatement. it's just the truth. and really with no call to be, like berating a waitress or a low level staff member. Really? That's like bitching out the poor girl who is answering phones for the utility company. She didn't do it, why make her day miserable?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Two swings and misses for those that guessed I haven’t met Robert Plant and Muhammad Ali.

I managed a night club for Darrell Griffith at Theater Square in Louisville ( iirc it was 89’/90). One of my bartenders also worked at Ringside, a small bar/pub in the Douglas Loop. Ali used to hang out there from time to time and also donated quite a few pieces of memorabilia to hang on the walls. Anyway Charlie (the bartender) asked if we wanted to meet Ali and that he would set it up for to come into Griffs club.

I walked into work late in the afternoon prior to opening, and Ali was sitting at the bar. I walked up to the bar and Charlie the bartender introduced Ali to me. As Ali stood to shake my hand I gave him a little hands up bob and weave, at which point he did his patented jab, jab uppercut and Ali shuffle. I almost messed my pants, I was frozen, and even though he didn’t touch me it was so close i felt the breeze from his hands past my face and head, I was waiting for the pain to set in. He got a huge kick out if doing that and had a big laugh over the look on my face. We all sat and chatted for about an hour before he left.

I’ll follow up shortly with Robert Plant story.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Muhammad Ali
    Smothers Brothers
    George Clooney
    George Bush Sr
    Robert Plant

Pappy guess would be Ken Kerchival
    Darrel guess would be Crystal Gayle

With two guesses down (Ali and Plant), I'm going to take a stab at the Smothers Brothers. That's a cool misleading one if it hits.

With two guesses down (Ali and Plant), I'm going to take a stab at the Smothers Brothers. That's a cool misleading one if it hits.
    Nope, I met the Smothers Brothers one year at Kunzs 4th and Market in downtown Louisville.

OK, I started getting a little confused, but I think this is right:

Darrell KSR has been guessed.
    Dan_bgblue has been guessed.
    Catfan73 is out? Looks like he didn't understand the assignment, or he's fooling us by giving a backstory, one of which is false--which I think would be the cool way to play this.

BigBluePappy and Blueboss remaining, I think, but narrowed down.

Pappy had only 2 remaining after 3 bad picks. I'll go with...Harold Reid, Statler Brothers as the last pick (it's either right, or the only other one remaining is right.)

Blueboss had Ali and Plant guessed, and I just guessed Smothers Brothers, so we'll see if that's right, or if he has two remaining.

Nope, I met the Smothers Brothers one year at Kunzs 4th and Market in downtown Louisville.

I'll let somebody else make the last pick; I won't do it. It's one of the George's....Clooney or Bush, Jr.

I haven't hit anything. I feel like when I was playing high school sports, or asking out girls for dates.

I'll let somebody else make the last pick; I won't do it. It's one of the George's....Clooney or Bush, Jr.

I haven't hit anything. I feel like when I was playing high school sports, or asking out girls for dates.
    I guessed Crystal Gayle for your fake out because most of us that are all around the same age, when we were young we all wished we could meet Crystal Gayle….at least I did.

One question, in the thread header it says met/close proximity, define that for me.

I guessed Crystal Gayle for your fake out because most of us that are all around the same age, when we were young we all wished we could meet Crystal Gayle….at least I did.

One question, in the thread header it says met/close proximity, define that for me.

Oh, like Ronald Reagan for me. I did shake his hand, but it was just in passing. Did the same with my girlfriend Crystal on the front row.

I guess you could self-define it. I wouldn't personally say close proximity would include same room, but it doesn't require actual meeting, I guess.

OK, I started getting a little confused, but I think this is right:

Darrell KSR has been guessed.
    Dan_bgblue has been guessed.
    Catfan73 is out? Looks like he didn't understand the assignment, or he's fooling us by giving a backstory, one of which is false--which I think would be the cool way to play this.

BigBluePappy and Blueboss remaining, I think, but narrowed down.

Pappy had only 2 remaining after 3 bad picks. I'll go with...Harold Reid, Statler Brothers as the last pick (it's either right, or the only other one remaining is right.)

Blueboss had Ali and Plant guessed, and I just guessed Smothers Brothers, so we'll see if that's right, or if he has two remaining.
    Nope. I met Harold, Don, Phil & Lew when Barbara Mandrell opened for them at Freedom Hall.
    Met Time Riley several Times, we share a birthday (August 29) and even got to introduce him to my Father-in-Law - At the NQC when it was held at Freeedom Hall
    Met Darrell Waltrip in the pits of Charlestown Motor Speedway - awesomely nice guy
    Met Ken Kercheval at the Shell right off of I-65, he owned a popcorn farm in Southern Indiana and his truck wouldn't restart, some friends and I were on our way home from LMS and we got him going. Flooded the truck trying to restart it and he played a Cliff on TV, I play one in real life.
    George Younce, while I have seen the Cathedrals many, many times at the NQC, never got to meet one of my idols, Mr. Younce. Got close, but never got to meet or shake his hand.

I have enjoyed this diversion today. It was very nice, thank you.
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 02-10-2022 at 07:06 PM.

Nope. I met Harold, Don, Phil & Lew when Barbara Mandrell opened for them at Freedom Hall.
    Met Time Riley several Times, we share a birthday (August 29) and even got to introduce him to my Father-in-Law - At the NQC when it was held at Freeedom Hall
    Met Darrell Waltrip in the pits of Charlestown Motor Speedway - awesomely nice guy
    Met Ken Kercheval at the Shell right off of I-65, he owned a popcorn farm in Southern Indiana and his truck wouldn't restart, some friends and I were on our way home from LMS and we got him going. Flooded the truck trying to restart it and he played a Cliff on TV, I play one in real life.
    George Younce, while I have seen the Cathedrals many, many times at the NQC, never got to meet one of my idols, Mr. Younce. Got close, but never got to meet or shake his hand.

I have enjoyed this diversion today. It was very nice, thank you.
    I guessed you hadn’t met Kercheval because I am not familiar with who he is.