Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Disaster Prepardness

Rupp's Runt

Disaster Prepardness

This came up on the other board, but thought I'd move a conversation here. I've been trying to get more prepared for bad weather the last couple of years. I think we have had similar threads but probably time for a new one. Share what you have/need/want? It might give us all some ideas.

What I have so far:
    - 500 gallon propane tank
    - tankless hot water heater
    - 10000 watt duel fuel portable generator with suicide cords
    - Gas grill for some cooking if needed
    - Two space heaters

What I still need:
    - Propane vent less fireplace in the basement
    - Electric griddle and toaster oven
    - Another battery back up protect my electronics

Maybe:
    - I've thought about keeping a small window a/c unit on hand. To at least cool a room if something happened in the summer
    - Some long term storage food
    - 100 pound tank just for my generator

Rupp's Runt

Re: Disaster Preparedness

Sorry, I fat fingered the subject if anyone can correct preparedness.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 02-05-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Re: Disaster Prepardness

A pick up truck with plenty of fuel and a 100 gallon fuel tank in the bed of the truck with a pump and hose to refuel the pick up truck. 6x12 single axle trailer with ramps and a movers dolly

12 gauge shotgun and plenty of ammo to encourage you to give me all your stuff and get your help in loading all of it.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    This came up on the other board, but thought I'd move a conversation here. I've been trying to get more prepared for bad weather the last couple of years. I think we have had similar threads but probably time for a new one. Share what you have/need/want? It might give us all some ideas.

What I have so far:
    - 500 gallon propane tank
    - tankless hot water heater
    - 10000 watt duel fuel portable generator with suicide cords
    - Gas grill for some cooking if needed
    - Two space heaters

What I still need:
    - Propane vent less fireplace in the basement
    - Electric griddle and toaster oven
    - Another battery back up protect my electronics

Maybe:
    - I've thought about keeping a small window a/c unit on hand. To at least cool a room if something happened in the summer
    - Some long term storage food
    - 100 pound tank just for my generator
    If you go advanced you can edit the title.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Can anyone point me to an article or website on Generators 101? I've never worried about it but we have a place in Florida now and thinking about preparedness in case of a power outage. I'm thinking about something that would keep the refrigerator going, power to a room or 2, maybe power a small room air conditioner.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Can anyone point me to an article or website on Generators 101? I've never worried about it but we have a place in Florida now and thinking about preparedness in case of a power outage. I'm thinking about something that would keep the refrigerator going, power to a room or 2, maybe power a small room air conditioner.
    I can help some. Might be later before I can give you a good answer.

In short. IMO you want a minimum of 6000 watt portable and a duel fuel one that does gas and propane. Because propane is easier to store.

The stand by ones are nice and you can get a smaller one pretty reasonable. But still a lot more than a portable.

Mine is a 10000 watt duel fuel portable. It is wired to plug into my home so I can run pretty much anything. I just can't run everything at once. It uses what I call suicide cords meaning it is hot on both ends so you need to be careful. This is the cheapest way to do it, other than ext cords running thru your house.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 02-05-2022 at 11:44 AM.

One simple thing: buy winter tires.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    If you go advanced you can edit the title.
    Thanks!

Rupp's Runt

Disaster Prepardness

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    One simple thing: buy winter tires.
    True winter tires are not that common around here. Do they help on ice or just snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome on ice. My preference is Blizzaks for passenger cars, but they wear out. I like a slightly harder rubber more all terrain style tire with studs for my truck. Many drawbacks, storing two sets of tires, for example, but nothing beats em for driving when rocky mountain passes are closed and neither snowplows nor hiway patrol are on the roads. If there are trees or rocks on the road the harder tire is better, too

Disaster Prepardness

Awesome on ice. My preference is Blizzaks for passenger cars, but they wear out. I like a slightly harder rubber more all terrain style tire with studs for my truck. Many drawbacks, storing two sets of tires, for example, but nothing beats em for driving when rocky mountain passes are closed and neither snowplows nor hiway patrol are on the roads. If there are trees or rocks on the road the harder tire is better, too
    I should have asked you a recommendation for my youngest daughter. I don't know what winter tires she bought, and she's hauling around her regular tires in the back of her Honda CRV but we all feel more comfortable with her in New York with those on her car, whatever they are. She won't experience the conditions you have, and frankly, when conditions turn bad there she is likely to stay put, but it's nice to have anyway.

Darrell I think you did and I opined.

Disaster Prepardness

Darrell I think you did and I opined.
    Oh, then thanks! Dad feels better with snow tires on, whatever you recommended!

What I have so far:
    - Natural gas
    - Natural Gas Whole House Generator
    - 80 Gallon hot water heater
    - Gallon Barrel of Water
    - Smoker with about 300 lbs of pellets
    - Gas grill and 2 extra propane tanks
    - Two space heaters
    - Freeze dried food for 3 for 30 days
    - small portable grill and small propane tanks
    - Flint and Fire Striker
    - Life Straw water filter
    - Water purifier/filter for 50 gallon barrel
    - 600A 18000mAh Portable car jump start and battery booster and phone charge with smart charging port

What I still need:
    - Half Cord of Wood
    - Larger water reservoir
    - Longer term food storage options

Obviously the above includes plans for longer than just a couple of weeks. The weakness is the food storage....

That is a great list of essentials, but I noticed that you may of may not have missed a few medications, Yo may not take any on a regular basis, but even things like antiacids, aspirin, or your preferred substitute, cold and flu meds, etc. Those are easy to forget when listing the bigger more visible items.
    Oh yeash, lemon juice, honey and good bourbon are a requirement around here. My wife has a glass or wine on occasion, but needs the bourbon, lemon juice, and honey to squash a persistent cough at times.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 02-07-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

My survival kit is mostly these two opossums I’ve had my eye on.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I lack just about everything "big," but realize, I do live in the heart of Dixie, for whatever that's worth.

I do have a small gasoline generator (6000 watt) and a propane gas grill with two 20-pound propane tanks . Also a gas starter fireplace. And an adapter for the propane tanks so that I can run camp stoves and heaters off the larger tanks.

Medicines, I keep well-stocked. Product of having medical personnel in the family.

Hand warmers that run on butane fuel, and extra butane fuel, Zippo lighter, and disposable lighters, along with matches and a small pack of waterproof matches.

Ice chests that can be used for temporary storage of food.

Power banks for cell phones. Containers for filling large amounts of water (before hurricanes, usually--obviously, that's not a big deal for us now, but old habits die hard from living in New Orleans).

Obviously, a certain amount of weapons and ammunition. Even a C02 powered .22 caliber pellet rifle. Fair amount of knives, probably need better, have one Benchmade, one Boker switchblade.

Couple of power inverters for car where I can use car to power AC items if needed.

Extra car (I need to get rid of it, but for now, I'm counting it as disaster preparedness).

Don't have much alcohol. Just haven't had many consuming it at my house lately. Probably need some.

Basic hand tools.

Tent and basic camping equipment. Oh, propane tank camping grill and stove. Propane "Mr. Buddy" portable heaters (2).

Maybe two dozen flashlights and a bunch of batteries. But where the flashlights are, I don't know. Can probably put my hand on six to eight of them right away, though.

Various clothing for cold weather. Tons of gloves.

Bread and milk

I just need some local folks who prep really well but aren't into firearms. Should be fine.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Disaster Prepardness

I’m way behind…

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Disaster Prepardness

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I just need some local folks who prep really well but aren't into firearms. Should be fine.
    Weapons, ammo, and bourbon would get you in most doors.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    That is a great list of essentials, but I noticed that you may of may not have missed a few medications, Yo may not take any on a regular basis, but even things like antiacids, aspirin, or your preferred substitute, cold and flu meds, etc. Those are easy to forget when listing the bigger more visible items.
    Oh yeash, lemon juice, honey and good bourbon are a requirement around here. My wife has a glass or wine on occasion, but needs the bourbon, lemon juice, and honey to squash a persistent cough at times.
    Good idea on the meds. I don't really take anything I can't live without. The wife however, takes one that could be deadly if she quits cold turkey. Unfortunately, I am not sure how we could get a spare pill or two, to secure some place.

Disaster Prepardness

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Good idea on the meds. I don't really take anything I can't live without. The wife however, takes one that could be deadly if she quits cold turkey. Unfortunately, I am not sure how we could get a spare pill or two, to secure some place.
    I know a guy, but if you don’t want to go that route… (keep in mind we may have access to some good lawyers should one be needed if the procurement process goes sideways)

When everything goes to $@&);t sounds like you might need an in with a pharmacist…hmmm? I wonder if we know of a good pharmacist that also has a lot in common with fans of UK basketball??

Hint: he knows or has access to every UK basketball stat going back over 100 years.

…and of course there’s always CBB, he’s always struck me as someone who might be very “resourceful”.

Rupp's Runt

First question to answer. Do you want something that is simple and just works? Or are you okay hooking something up during an outage?

First question I would have: Do you have natural gas to the house? I"m assuming not in Florida.

If not then it's down to what fuel to use and how much you will need on hand for how long. If you have a gas line to the house then since gas rarely goes out you can hook to that, even with a dual fuel unit where you can run on natural gas and if that goes out it can take propane or regular gas.

That's the ideal scenario for flexibility. If not you're down to propane or regular gas as options, which still work.

Mine is just a small gas one we use for work. Very portable, and under normal circumstances easy to get fuel. In a crisis maybe not as much.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Disaster Prepardness

Drove my spare car a bit today. Need to get rid of it, but it sure is fun to drive.