Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Does this really work?

Does this really work?

Hard for me to fully buy in that a power bank can jump start a car. Does anyone have one of these and can vouch for it?

If they work, I wouldn't mind getting them for wife and kids so they don't have to use a jumper cable and rely on another car.

I've had larger ones before, but this is small enough they'd actually carry it - if it works.

https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com...waAsLqEALw_wcB

Re: Does this really work?

I bought something similar about a year ago. I've only had to use it once but it worked well.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Yes they work. I've used one to jump start a 2010 F150 a few times.

Does this really work?

Thanks, guys. New one on me.

Rupp's Runt

I've used two different brands. Both have worked just fine. Will they start a 1 ton diesel truck when it is 0 degrees? Probably not. But for the every day, I need a jump start, they work just fine.

Bombino

ProjectFarm did a review on a number of these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA

From his testing, he found a wide range of capabilities. Some could only start standard cars but a few good ones could actually start his large farm tractor. Personally, the one I have starts my Honda CR-V just fine. That being said, you only get a a few tries to get it started, at most. That hasn't been a major issue other than when my alternator died and no jump starter will fix that.

I"m going to look into them, but the bigger jump packs have added features I'm betting these lack. For example as Pedro mentioned, you get more than a few tries at it. Also the bigger ones come with air pumps. I also wonder how the batteries are impacted by cold between traditional designs and these.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I"m going to look into them, but the bigger jump packs have added features I'm betting these lack. For example as Pedro mentioned, you get more than a few tries at it. Also the bigger ones come with air pumps. I also wonder how the batteries are impacted by cold between traditional designs and these.
    Cold didn't seem to impact it when I used one. But I'm looking into the bigger one b/c of the air pump. And the bigger ones are a little smaller and lighter than they used to be. At least the one I've used.

Is there one that my wife could use by herself?

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Careful there fella. She may decide to jump start you!
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

I've seen a cigarette lighter version. No clue if it works or not.

I'm so limited on mechanical, electrical, and those kind of things that if I could use one -- and I think I can lol -- I'm sure she could. Pop the hood, put the red clamp on the post with the red cable, the black clamp on metal, you're done. (Wait -- you don't put the black clamp on the other post with this kind, do you? Or do you? Does it matter?)

Bombino

Per ProjectFarm the good ones handled 0ºF pretty well (on par with lead-acid), the bad ones not so much. That being said, a number of them had enough self-heating during the first attempt to reach a high enough temp to produce acceptable voltage/current on the second attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I've seen a cigarette lighter version. No clue if it works or not.
    Those are a HUGE no-no. The wiring/fuse to the cigarette lighter is not rated to handle the current of starting the motor. It is a great way to damage the wiring and circuitry.

I’m talking about one that you can hook up, turn on, then jump in the car and hit the ignition. Does that not exist and if not why not?

Just two weeks ago she went to the garage to get something out of her car and left a light on and the next morning my son had to give her a jump.

Rupp's Runt

I’m talking about one that you can hook up, turn on, then jump in the car and hit the ignition. Does that not exist and if not why not?

Just two weeks ago she went to the garage to get something out of her car and left a light on and the next morning my son had to give her a jump.
    My coworker has a very simple one. Pos and Neg clamp. One button for on/off. Dad's has some extra buttons that could be confusing.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Those are a HUGE no-no. The wiring/fuse to the cigarette lighter is not rated to handle the current of starting the motor. It is a great way to damage the wiring and circuitry.
    They are not designed to jump a car are they? More to charge the battery right?

I remember as a kid seeing a commercial for a cigarette lighter cable to go from car to car to jump cars. The selling point was to not get out in the cold/rain. It was a pretty lame commercial

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    They are not designed to jump a car are they? More to charge the battery right?

I remember as a kid seeing a commercial for a cigarette lighter cable to go from car to car to jump cars. The selling point was to not get out in the cold/rain. It was a pretty lame commercial
    None of the ones I have seen have near enough capacity to recharge a lead-acid battery which has gone dead. As such, by physical requirement, they must jump the car so that the alternator can take over and charge the main battery.

I would think any jump pack would work that way. I've jumped several cars by myself with one. As you said you hook them up, turn them on, then try to start the car.

At least mine are that way. They have traditional lead acid batteries, then they build in the inverter to charge it and to provide AC (small amounts), and for me the pump is useful.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Mine is lithium and it works

I would think any jump pack would work that way. I've jumped several cars by myself with one. As you said you hook them up, turn them on, then try to start the car.

At least mine are that way. They have traditional lead acid batteries, then they build in the inverter to charge it and to provide AC (small amounts), and for me the pump is useful.
    Ah okay. I thought someone had said it still takes two people. I’m going to have to look into getting her one.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

They're handy. Also good in a pinch b/c they have USB ports to charge devices, a light, and then the pump in the bigger units. They also typically have 12VDC with a cigarette lighter plug for other devices, and bigger units have a built in inverter so you can plug in 120v, although that's obviously a very inefficient setup so it will drain fast.

This ice storm is a great example. I have 3-4 of them for the business (we have to jump estate vehicles often) and at times like these I grab a couple so if power is out a while I can charge a phone without having to go to a generator.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I haven't used the Lithium ones other than one I have I use solely for computer/device power, but I do use the lead acid ones regularly. One thing that I look for on these is HOW THEY CHARGE.

I don't know if any L Ion units do this, but the better acid packs will just have a two prong plug to charge. You plug in any 2 prong extension cord and you can charge it. I would actively avoid packs for emergency situations that require a custom charger if possible. It's too easy to lose or misplace or get damaged and you have no other options. My favorite has a flip down two prong plug right on the side. I can charge it with any extension cord. There's also no cord to get damaged with moving around.

I do not use units that have built in inverters from 12vdc to 120vac. They're bigger, heavier, and another thing to break. I do have multiple inverters with cigarette plugs that can go with a pack unit if needed.

So my equipment list for the vehicles when we go on site for work:

Decent to good lead acid jump pack
    inverter
    air pump (if not in the jump pack, usually I actually have both b/c we sometimes have to pump up all 4 tires, it's faster)

I will say my Litiium ion battery unit that's just for devices (120vac and USB) works great and holds a good charge. I just haven't used one that is for jumping cars. Honestly I find a lot of the lead acid ones to not be nearly powerful enough so I'm wary of an ion one.

I also have a full 120vac jump/charging unit, and I take that one a lot too. Now THAT will charge or jump a car. The pack units will be OK on smaller vehicles, but the more cranking power you need they start to fade in usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Hard for me to fully buy in that a power bank can jump start a car. Does anyone have one of these and can vouch for it?

If they work, I wouldn't mind getting them for wife and kids so they don't have to use a jumper cable and rely on another car.

I've had larger ones before, but this is small enough they'd actually carry it - if it works.

https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com...waAsLqEALw_wcB
    I have one I purchased a couple of years ago. They work.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I have one I purchased a couple of years ago. They work.
    I'm pleased to see so many people have used these and they work. Thanks for everyone posting their experience (and glad they are all positive).

3certainties in life: death, taxes, and expiration dates on batteries

This is what we have. I can vouch it started my wife's 2015 Lincoln MKZ a year ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Battery-J...60&sr=8-3&th=1