Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cancellations Taking a Toll on Bowl Season

Re: Cancellations Taking a Toll on Bowl Season

Yes I remember all of Fauci’s and politicians’ lies. And mandates and lockdowns and two weeks to flatten the curve. But I also remember people who have died. And I especially remember the health care workers, nurses and doctors, who are being worked to exhaustion by this plague. They’ve saved my life a few times. As a result, I listen to what they say. I might need them again someday.
    Last edited by bigsky; 12-27-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Moving this thread to Front Porch. Depending on how it goes will move it to the Barber Shop. Obviously we left sports discussion a while ago.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

My 56 yr old unvaccinated sister now has it. She is one of the few in my family who did not get the virus a year ago when my family had an outbreak. She is in quarantine. Our biggest concern with her, as a sober alcoholic, is a relapse from the isolation. Talked to her yesterday. She seems in good spirits (the right kind of spirts) and doing well.

Problem is that information and "science" have been restricted or perverted for one's own political gain. Yes, some people are at a higher risk but that is a SMALL percentage. Those who have comorbidities should take every precaution, and those who elect to take extra precautions should as well. However for a late teen and early 20 year old athlete, the risks are minimal.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Yes I remember all of Fauci’s and politicians’ lies. And mandates and lockdowns and two weeks to flatten the curve. But I also remember people who have died. And I especially remember the health care workers, nurses and doctors, who are being worked to exhaustion by this plague. They’ve saved my life a few times. As a result, I listen to what they say. I might need them again someday.
    I think that this comment is a good reflection of where I am with the issue. I feel empathetic (can one feel lots of empathy?) when I think of families impacted by Covid and healthcare workers who are greatly impacted by Covid. Do those who don’t want to get vaccinated think that the strain on healthcare workers is fake news….if not, maybe this is a factor pointing toward getting the vaccine.

And then I feel lots of apathy towards those who feel that vaccine mandates are good or bad. How much trouble is it to get vaccinated and how much does doing so infringe on my rights? I am vaccinated and I go about my daily life totally as I want to. I don’t go to college or professional sporting events but about every week I go to one or more of my grandson’s travel hockey games in close quarters with others….and no one wears a mask.

There can be a happy medium. But I lean toward getting vaccinated so I have less chance of getting a severe case of Covid and to give healthcare workers a break….am I fooled by fake news?

One and Done

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    2 years… 2 years… being told the same wrong info over and over… remember when Fauci and WHO said if you get vaccinated you can’t spread the virus? If you can’t remember , I got the video..
    Yes... that is science. Data is collected and improved upon. The major mistake was a human one in giving absolutes with an aggressive virus in the first place and then doubling down as the data progressed. One thing this particular virus, along with its variants, has provided is the lack of an absolute on any side. If Fauci would quit leveling absolutes and anti-vaxxers would stop with their absolutes we would be in a much better place. Both sides being wrong so often hasn't made this virus any less dangerous to those who are at most risk with their individual chemistries. We can have as much virus fatigue as we'd like and rail against the protocols as much as we'd like but people continue to be hospitalized at aggressive rates two years in. There is still not a good enough handle on it to be laissez-faire. We do the best we can to be sensible amongst the chaos. I work with bedridden clients for rehabilitation purposes and we do the best we can to keep it at bay... then a part-time caregiver brought it in and infected one of my clients and his household breaking through vaccinations and boosters. This isn't a cold. Diminishing it is more in line with the fatigue of what we've been dealing with than any kind of sense. We can and will get through this together. It's not the time to throw up our hands.

Cancellations Taking a Toll on Bowl Season

This should help some of the things going on.

@AP: BREAKING: U.S. health officials are cutting isolation restrictions for those who test positive for the coronavirus and shortening the time that close contacts have to quarantine. People with the virus can leave isolation after five days, down from 10 days. http://apne.ws/SRKJ5nb

Quote Originally Posted by UKinLA View Post
    Yes... that is science. Data is collected and improved upon. The major mistake was a human one in giving absolutes with an aggressive virus in the first place and then doubling down as the data progressed. One thing this particular virus, along with its variants, has provided is the lack of an absolute on any side. If Fauci would quit leveling absolutes and anti-vaxxers would stop with their absolutes we would be in a much better place. Both sides being wrong so often hasn't made this virus any less dangerous to those who are at most risk with their individual chemistries.
    This. Fauci is full of it, he's a politician not a scientist, which is how one gets to be the head of organizations. The scientists work there, but he's not really one of them. Any more than Bill Gates is still really a programmer or Bezos is a book dealer.

There are no absolutes, and fauci did a lot of disservice by his early and current actions. But that doesn't justify going that far the other way and ignoring the seriousness of the virus either.

It is also easy to dismiss since most people will not die from it, and many will have no real long term effects other than a bad flu from it. The problem is that, unlike pneumonia or flu for the elderly or at risk which does kill thousands and even tens of thousands a year in this country, it can turn deadly for no apparent reason. That means that unlike the flu or pneumonia, where at risk people know they are at risk and those around them know and precautions can be taken, in this case it doesn't work quite that way.

I've definitely been to funerals where the last thing that got someone who was already either quite elderly and weak or in bad health was something like pneumonia.

I have yet to be to one of those funerals for someone who was younger than me and otherwise in good health, but probably by the end of this week or the first of next I'll be at one for Covid for someone who was younger than me and in otherwise perfectly good health.

That's what makes this so hard to deal with emotionally and in terms of policy. Since it's not clear who will be most impacted it's hard to make the kinds of reasonable compromises and plans that we do for something like the flu.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rick agrees with me.

@RealPitino: Sports teams need to take notice https://twitter.com/adamcancryn/stat...80969897926657

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Rick agrees with me.

@RealPitino: Sports teams need to take notice https://twitter.com/adamcancryn/stat...80969897926657
    Coach K will agree too, just as soon as he dodges a couple of these tougher games...

@ByPatForde: Expect the SEC to follow new CDC COVID guidelines soon, per sources, at the recommendation of the league task force. Could have a material effect on bowl game rosters, including the CFP teams.

Central Michigan to take Miami's spot in the Sun Bowl.

Central Michigan to take Miami's spot in the Sun Bowl.
    Booyah.

Add Holiday Bowl tonight being canceled.

Wow. Late notice. Hate to have made that trip to find the game canceled at the last minute.

Rupp's Runt

Rick agrees with me
    I'd probably left that part out

How’d this thread end up over here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    How’d this thread end up over here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Became mostly a covid discussion, so I moved it here. If it had gone more political I would have moved it to the Barber shop, and still can if needed.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    This. Fauci is full of it, he's a politician not a scientist, which is how one gets to be the head of organizations. The scientists work there, but he's not really one of them. Any more than Bill Gates is still really a programmer or Bezos is a book dealer.

There are no absolutes, and fauci did a lot of disservice by his early and current actions. But that doesn't justify going that far the other way and ignoring the seriousness of the virus either.

It is also easy to dismiss since most people will not die from it, and many will have no real long term effects other than a bad flu from it. The problem is that, unlike pneumonia or flu for the elderly or at risk which does kill thousands and even tens of thousands a year in this country, it can turn deadly for no apparent reason. That means that unlike the flu or pneumonia, where at risk people know they are at risk and those around them know and precautions can be taken, in this case it doesn't work quite that way.

I've definitely been to funerals where the last thing that got someone who was already either quite elderly and weak or in bad health was something like pneumonia.

I have yet to be to one of those funerals for someone who was younger than me and otherwise in good health, but probably by the end of this week or the first of next I'll be at one for Covid for someone who was younger than me and in otherwise perfectly good health.

That's what makes this so hard to deal with emotionally and in terms of policy. Since it's not clear who will be most impacted it's hard to make the kinds of reasonable compromises and plans that we do for something like the flu.
    My problem with it all is we have been talking about a pandemic my entire lifetime. Despite spending billions of dollars, the CDC completely failed. It had nothing to do with science. It had everything to do with preparedness. There was no plan.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    My problem with it all is we have been talking about a pandemic my entire lifetime. Despite spending billions of dollars, the CDC completely failed. It had nothing to do with science. It had everything to do with preparedness. There was no plan.
    No plan, and they just admitted this week they gave into "human behavior" in changing the quarantine period.

The CDC has gone from a respected institution seen as non-political to another useless government agency with all of the efficiency and common sense of the department of motor vehicles.

I come here and get input from Pedro on things. I wouldn't rely on the CDC if they told me to get out of the middle of the road.

Rupp's Runt

I come here and get input from Pedro on things. I wouldn't rely on the CDC if they told me to get out of the middle of the road.
    same

Fab Five

No plan, and they just admitted this week they gave into "human behavior" in changing the quarantine period.

The CDC has gone from a respected institution seen as non-political to another useless government agency with all of the efficiency and common sense of the department of motor vehicles.

Yet….those bureaucrats continue to slop at the public trough and the East Coast TV media continue to trot them out for a performance every day.
    Real Fan since 1958