Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: WKY folks, are you OK?

WKY folks, are you OK?

Devastating tornado hit Mayfield, going east. Prayers for y'all.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

WKY folks, are you OK?

I am good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: WKY folks, are you OK?

No power in our part of town. News reports indicate that we could be without power for a few days. Lots of damage in different parts of town. Corvette museum sustained major damage. I am trying to contact friends in Mayfield before I lose battery backup power on phone.

Thinking of you this AM Dan.!! Pretty sure you are from the Purchase? Watching for reports from Mayfield, Dawson Springs, “Barnsley,” Bowling Green. Glad to hear from you.

WKY folks, are you OK?

Stay warm and safe, Dan.

Thankful you are safe Dan. The same tornado went right over top of us here in Radcliff after leaving behind so much devastation and loss of life.
    We could definitely feel and hear the monster that left so much destruction in its wake.

We had four families at my daughters house in the basement. Our area escaped major destruction. Lots of limbs down and such.

Our prayers for those who have lost so much. This is very bad everyone. The worst Kentucky tornado destruction ever, and as an old flying cow watcher..I never thought I would say that.
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-11-2021 at 10:59 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

The most significant natural event in that area since the Mississippi River ran backwards.

Hoping we hear from several others. We have a number of folks in the path of this storm.

The damage is unreal. Reminds me of 1973.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I said the same tornado as the BG area encountered went over us but I was mistaken. This one was the Jonestown tornado which tracked over 200 miles. Widely considered an F5. Many limbs down in my yard but nothing I couldn't carry off by hand.
    Still, I noticed one large tree in my yard had much of the bark peeled off like an apple. A thick hardwood bark, and it looked to have exploded into multiple eight or ten inch sized pieces in front of my house.

One other really strange occurrence was a tote on my front porch that had a few remaining Christmas lights in it. I had covered it with a heavy clear plastic sheet securely and had left a bottle of spring water on top of the tote.

When I checked on it I noticed a football (Only slightly smaller) sized hole in the top. The plastic was pushed down through the hole and had filled with water inside the tote. There were at least three, maybe four gallons of water in the plastic inside of the tote..and my spring water. The tote was actually dry inside from the taut plastic sealing the edges). But I have no idea how that much water got inside. The top was not cracked but something had shot through the top creating a clean hole. The large amount of water leads me to think it was a huge chunk of ice combined with rain water. But the heavy clear plastic nor a few light strands were not damaged??

Not a big deal but very strange.
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-11-2021 at 10:09 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I said the same tornado as the BG area encountered went over us but I was mistaken. This one was the Jonestown tornado which tracked over 200 miles. Widely considered an F5. Many limbs down in my yard but nothing I couldn't carry off by hand.
    Still, I noticed one large tree in my yard had much of the bark peeled off like an apple. A thick hardwood bark, and it looked to have exploded into multiple eight or ten inch sized pieces in front of my house.

One other really strange occurrence was a tote on my front porch that had a few remaining Christmas lights in it. I had covered it with a heavy clear plastic sheet securely and had left a bottle of spring water on top of the tote.

When I checked on it I noticed a football (Only slightly smaller) sized hole in the top. The plastic was pushed down through the hole and had filled with water inside the tote. There were at least three, maybe four gallons of water in the plastic inside of the tote..and my spring water. The tote was actually dry inside from the taut plastic sealing the edges). But I have no idea how that much water got inside. The top was not cracked but something had shot through the top creating a clean hole. The large amount of water leads me to think it was a huge chunk of ice combined with rain water. But the heavy clear plastic nor a few light strands were not damaged??

Not a big deal but very strange.
    Is it possible the pressure difference outside the tote vs what was inside cause the hole to explode down into the tote?

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Is it possible the pressure difference outside the tote vs what was inside cause the hole to explode down into the tote?
    I hadn't considered that but yes, it sounds feasible. Perhaps the two (never opened) plastic bottles of water were forced down through the top by the same pressure difference. The amount of water contained in the plastic is still confusing though.

I guess the same reaction could have been the cause in some way.
    The intense pressure decline and fluctuations in a tornado are some of the most destructive on earth. And the lowest pressure ever recorded was in a tornado.

The more I think on it, the higher pressure in those two sealed bottles was likely the culprit given your theory. And such a pressure related reaction may have actually sucked extra water into the hole that was nearby and on the tote.

Sounds like there's a good scientific experiment in there somewhere.

Survey says that the Logan Co and Warren Co twister was at least EF3, and survey continues
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Preliminary NWS estimate on the big one that ripped through Mayfield and points east:

Capture 12-17-21.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPaduca...83666859122696
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Incredible.