Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Antimicrobial Resistance

Antimicrobial Resistance

Trump's surgeon general: US needs to fight antimicrobial resistance to prevent next pandemic

As I sit here typing today, I am living proof that the resistance is real, and can be deadly. In the winter of 2019 Doctors told my wife that I had a 5% chance of leaving Baptist Hospital in Lexington alive. They used every antibiotic at their disposal over a month and a half, and I eventually recovered from the infection. They still send my wife an email every couple of months to see if I am still alive.

If you have a microbial infection and are prescribed an antibiotic to cure the problem, follow the instructions to the letter and cure the problem completely. Do not take the chance of developing a resistant strain of those nasty little bugs.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Antimicrobial Resistance

I am so glad you recovered!! Mankind’s golden hour of effective antibiotics is fading.

A little more than a year ago a very close friend and I were fishing down at Tongue River Reservoir. He’d been gimping around and after a couple of days told me we had to go back to Bozeman. Why? Because his entire lower leg was the color of a tomato. The next morning he could not walk. I took him to the VA hospital in Sheridan 14 mikes away and they instantly admitted him.

3 Weeks, two hospitals and and two “clean out” operations later he was discharged with his leg—a near thing. For the next month he infused these drug filled “footballs” full of the best and last antibiotic hope, twice a day. It was maybe not MRSA but something worse, a random unidentified bacteria picked up in the water, or maybe the floor of the RV or we don’t know.

We went fishing back at the reservoir in June right before my chemo started, celebrating every minute of being together and being alive.

Keep at it, my friend Dan!
    Last edited by bigsky; 11-27-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Re: Antimicrobial Resistance

I read that predatory bacteria could be an important additional tool to drugs in the fight against resistance.

We have to improve on the diagnosis of infections and nonsensical use of drugs and then nail down the overuse of antibiotics in agriculture while sacrificing lives for dollars.
    Developing rapid diagnostics is critical.

A/b development has been almost non existent in the last quarter century.
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-28-2021 at 02:36 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain