Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Global Warming is a Real pain, isn't it Alaska

Global Warming is a Real pain, isn't it Alaska

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Global Warming is a Real pain, isn't it Alaska

seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

I'm thankful for global warming. Think how much snow there would have been without it

Antarctica is at the tail end of its coldest recorded winter.

Hasn’t global warming been happening for 200 million years?
    Biden should know he is an old fossil!

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Hasn’t global warming been happening for 200 million years?
    Biden should know he is an old fossil!
    Off and on we have warmed and cooled since the end of the last ice age. The Holocene climate optimum was the warmest time period of the current epoch and that started 9,000 years ago and ended about 5,000 years ago. It was during that time period when early civilizations were formed and great leaps in communication, math and metallurgy were made. Lots of politicians want people to believe warmer means drier, but the reality is the small increases in temperatures of the last 40 years have made the earth greener.

I could have used a little global warming at my house this morning…frost on the pumpkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

but the reality is the small increases in temperatures of the last 40 years have made the earth greener.
    C4 Monocotyledon plants grow better the higher the CO2 levels in the atmosphere. Dicotyledon plants are not affected by higher levels of C4 in the atmosphere.
    seeya
    dan

So we’ll get grassier but have fewer weeds in the yard? Except for crabgrass. That’s the worst.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Had a huge garden this season and my FIL's house.
    He bought a mini farm at 90 years old and this was his first real garden. I was the guy who done the tilling and kind of arranged the garden.

What I did not prepare for was a season long battle with Johnson grass. The most evil of all non poisonous growing things imo.

If I find this Johnson dude he's gonna' hurt.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Johnson grass is terrible for gardeners, it’s really hard to get rid of. I’ve seen it grow right through the middle of potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Had a huge garden this season and my FIL's house.
    He bought a mini farm at 90 years old and this was his first real garden. I was the guy who done the tilling and kind of arranged the garden.

What I did not prepare for was a season long battle with Johnson grass. The most evil of all non poisonous growing things imo.

If I find this Johnson dude he's gonna' hurt.
    I hope you have not tilled the garden yet. If you have not, then mix up a 2% solution of water and Roundup (40% active ingredient) and spray the dead looking johnson grass with a light spraying of the solution. It is not dead, it is just trying to fool you. If you do as recommended then the rhizomes will be dead by spring and you can work on the seedling johnson grass come spring.

I have killed a few hundred thousand acres of the stuff this way. Try to get this done before a killing frost, or it will not work.
    seeya
    dan

Btw you can blame the University of Kentucky Ag department for the spread of the stuff in KY. It makes pretty good hay, does a great job of preventing erosion, and requires almost no artificial fertilizers to flourish.

When they developed it they thought it was the greatest thing since sweet corn. They just forgot that the entire state was no longer covered in grass and tobacco.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Yep cows love it

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

I have a sneaky feeling that were not going to be in control of whatever ends mankind. Dinosaurs didnt do anything harmful to the globe and look what happened to those poor dudes. might as well burn some coal.
    Go Cats!

Rupp's Runt

I have a sneaky feeling that were not going to be in control of whatever ends mankind. Dinosaurs didnt do anything harmful to the globe and look what happened to those poor dudes. might as well burn some coal.
    Flatulence

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I hope you have not tilled the garden yet. If you have not, then mix up a 2% solution of water and Roundup (40% active ingredient) and spray the dead looking johnson grass with a light spraying of the solution. It is not dead, it is just trying to fool you. If you do as recommended then the rhizomes will be dead by spring and you can work on the seedling johnson grass come spring.

I have killed a few hundred thousand acres of the stuff this way. Try to get this done before a killing frost, or it will not work.
    Thank you Dan. Haven't tilled yet and will follow your direction.
    So, I know it's from Asia originally and been around longer than any of us.

Did UK's ag department develop a hybrid of the stuff? Or just promote it's use?
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a hybrid. I think UK just played with a seed crop to investigate it's hardiness, palatability for cattle, horses, sheep and goats, curing properties for haying, and using it for ground cover and erosion control.

I think it came over from Turkey in the mid 1800s
    seeya
    dan