Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: It is a bittersweet day......

It is a bittersweet day......

As those who know me will attest, my profession in many ways defines me. 28 years ago I joined a practice in S. FL, and a year and a half later I purchased half that practice. I worked for over 20 years building it into something I was proud of. 6 years ago I sold out to corporate for several reasons but did so with the agreement that I could work as long as I wanted. Well, a month ago, corporate informed me they were not renewing my contract (expires in late Dec). This came with no warning. So yesterday I told them I am out in 2 weeks. I see no sense in working 2 months someplace I am not wanted. Additionally their idea was for me to fade slowly by working 2 days a week for a month, then one day a week for a month. Anyway, I found a new position at a practice outside my noncompete and will be starting in 2 weeks. It is a high quality practice with an extremely affluent clientele, with doctors that are on my level. I say that because my current associates are not. So the bittersweet is losing some clients I have known for years as well as walking away from a big part of me, but it also means a fresh start.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: It is a bittersweet day......

Tough one, Doc, but glad you found a good place to continue serving. Stay well.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I think it’s great that you are embarking on a new journey at your age.
    Then again I do understand how the transition could lead to a bit of apprehension relative to change. In this instance I bet you feel great about it after the fact.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

It’s difficult to walk away after being in one place that long, but I sense the move may bring you personal satisfaction that your current position hasn’t been providing.

One of the hardest things for small business owners to do is to financially sell/transition that business. You were able to do that by selling to a corporate buyer. As long as you were happy with the price you take that and run, and then go do something else or, in your case, do something outside your non-compete.

That's the biggest hurdle to getting the value of all that goodwill back out of the business. If you accomplish that it's a win, though I get the emotional attachment to something you built. It's not easy, but it's the smart move.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Good luck, Doc! New beginnings can be a wonderful opportunity. I'm in the midst of one now having left a place I absolutely loved along with people I adored. So far, it's been energizing and fun. Hope yours is as well!

Fab Five

Ron, from one who has been there, I know you will find great happiness on your new adventure. I’m disappointed you gave them another two weeks.

I can't begin to count the number of guys I know who are opting out of the woke corporate environment. All I know are finding the job satisfaction they were seeking. You will too, my friend! Your patients will find you. Good Luck!
    Real Fan since 1958

Sorry they did that to you Doc but God works in mysterious ways. Best of luck with your new group. It sounds like a perfect fit.

I have had a couple calls today, and many facebook posts from clients who will be following me. I posted on works fb page I was leaving but no reference to where...due to the noncompete. On my personal fb page I did link.

Chuck, as for the sale, I did well and was smart enough to take and invest. Turns out it was the right time to invest. Of course I do sweat the current dropping but hopefully the market will correct.

I am sure in the long run it will be good for me. I will be in a happier place with professionals who are my equals skill wise. I also believe I bring something unique to the practice
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Good luck Doc!

Doc Ball, if you were at a location where your peers were not at your level or did not strive to attain your level of expertise, you are better off for the change. I don't need to wish you good luck because apparently your reputation precedes you.
    The new practice is lucky to get a Veterinarian of your level. Proverbs 27:17 my friend...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Doc Ball, if you were at a location where your peers were not at your level or did not strive to attain your level of expertise, you are better off for the change. I don't need to wish you good luck because apparently your reputation precedes you.
    The new practice is lucky to get a Veterinarian of your level. Proverbs 27:17 my friend...
    I have had issues with the #2 doctor. Has no desire to advance her skills, instead dumps stuff on me. The new guy....my replacement, has been out 3 yrs. Needless to say, not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    As those who know me will attest, my profession in many ways defines me. 28 years ago I joined a practice in S. FL, and a year and a half later I purchased half that practice. I worked for over 20 years building it into something I was proud of. 6 years ago I sold out to corporate for several reasons but did so with the agreement that I could work as long as I wanted. Well, a month ago, corporate informed me they were not renewing my contract (expires in late Dec). This came with no warning. So yesterday I told them I am out in 2 weeks. I see no sense in working 2 months someplace I am not wanted. Additionally their idea was for me to fade slowly by working 2 days a week for a month, then one day a week for a month. Anyway, I found a new position at a practice outside my noncompete and will be starting in 2 weeks. It is a high quality practice with an extremely affluent clientele, with doctors that are on my level. I say that because my current associates are not. So the bittersweet is losing some clients I have known for years as well as walking away from a big part of me, but it also means a fresh start.
    Doc, so sorry about this. When you say agreement, was that in writing? are they breaking your sales contract?

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Doc, so sorry about this. When you say agreement, was that in writing? are they breaking your sales contract?
    Are two contracts. The sale contract is done and over. That was 6 yrs ago. Had to work 3 then am free to do as I see. My partner took that option left. He recently purchased a clinic 2 miles away (and wants me to buy half). We also have a yearly employee contract that started day after sale. That is still in effect and has auto renewal unless 90 day notice either way. That has a 2 yr 15 mile noncompete (already talked to lawyer on that, and it is solid). So my issue is the employee contract, not sale. Am considering filing age discrimination (see other thread)

By the way, non-competes are very difficult to enforce in Today's market and given what you said above, I think it would only have been enforceable that first 3 years. My guess is they would not take on the legal expense of trying to enforce it. Courts are not friendly to non-competes in today's world. I gave up even requiring on on Docs and therapists I sign.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    By the way, non-competes are very difficult to enforce in Today's market and given what you said above, I think it would only have been enforceable that first 3 years. My guess is they would not take on the legal expense of trying to enforce it. Courts are not friendly to non-competes in today's world. I gave up even requiring on on Docs and therapists I sign.
    mine is 2 years, 15 miles. FL is very much employer favorable rather than employee favorable. I already met with a lawyer over that. He thinks its is enforcable. Over 15 or longer than 2 years, it might not be. Best we could hope for was a slight modification. Believe me, they will do whatever they can to enforce. Today they had a facebook post removed from the business website where I thanked all the clients for the honor of the years of their trust. They objected and removed. Of course on my personal page, it was similar but gives where I am headed. I would never post that on the business site.....although several clients did post my new office.

2 years and 15 miles seems constrained enough to be enforceable, but your lawyer will know Florida better than Kentucky. They have to be constrained enough, otherwise they're worthless.

Do you have a client payment clause where if a client follows you then you owe a percentage of revenues for a period of time? That's more common with lawyers and CPAs in my experience.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    2 years and 15 miles seems constrained enough to be enforceable, but your lawyer will know Florida better than Kentucky. They have to be constrained enough, otherwise they're worthless.

Do you have a client payment clause where if a client follows you then you owe a percentage of revenues for a period of time? That's more common with lawyers and CPAs in my experience.
    Nope, no client payment clause. I will have a huge number of clients follow me. I do some breed specific procedures that neither of the remaining doctors do. I currently have clients who I will actually be closer to at the new practice.