Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Matt Jones with Covid

Been vaccinated, mild symtoms

Re: OT: Matt Jones with Covid

Most folks who have been vaccinated should have mild symptoms. Lots of misinformation being passed (on social media) that vaccines will keep you from getting it, which they may. But with this disease the benefit seems to be minimizing symptoms and severity of illness. Like everybody who gets it, I wish Matt a speedy recovery.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Just closed on a place in Florida last week (yay!). Our realtor and her husband had been vaccinated but tested positive after one of their kids brought it home. The whole family was quarantined but she and her husband had only mild symptoms.

Everybody has to make their own decision, but that's why I got the vaccine. I knew it didn't provide 100% protection from infection, but I was a lot less likely to get seriously ill or die from it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I've known a lot more people who have gotten it this time

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Just closed on a place in Florida last week (yay!). Our realtor and her husband had been vaccinated but tested positive after one of their kids brought it home. The whole family was quarantined but she and her husband had only mild symptoms.

Everybody has to make their own decision, but that's why I got the vaccine. I knew it didn't provide 100% protection from infection, but I was a lot less likely to get seriously ill or die from it.
    We had a technician here at work come in Sat with a fever and feeling lousy. We sent him home. He tested positive. He has not been vaccinated (his choice). Hope he has minimal effects. His wife and kids also positive.
    Now I have to monitor the staff for anybody feeling ill, to be sure they don't come to work.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    I've known a lot more people who have gotten it this time
    From those around here that I know, men around 50 need to be careful. Seems those are getting it the hardest from the ones I know.

Cal got it too.

Rupp's Runt

Evans! Where in Florida?
    MOLON LABE!

I’ve noticed a trend with Delta. As the time Delta circulates in a region increases the percentage of infected vaccinated among daily case counts seems to increase. I don’t know what state numbers look like as they don’t include the number of positive cases that are vaccinated. Our county health department posts daily updates that include the number of vaccinated people who test positive. A month ago about 1 in 20 cases were vaccinated, now nearly 20% of the positive cases are from the vaccinated group. A couple of weeks ago I read an article that said that in the LA area 30% of the daily cases were vaccinated. I would think some vaccinated people could contract Covid and symptoms will be so mild they may not realize they have the virus.

I’ve thought we would have another wave of the virus, but with the current numbers we may reach herd immunity before that happens.

No vaccine is 100 percent effective. I took the flu shot a few years back and got the worst case of it I ever had in my life. Like you, I got the vaccine. Second Pfizer shot last Friday. I’ve told anyone who asks me that I’d recommend it but ultimately, it is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Evans! Where in Florida?
    The Villages, baby! Golf Cart Heaven! It's really beautiful and so much to do--very nice folks, too. Mrs. BEvans retired last year and is down there starting to live her best life--I'll be flying back & forth.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    From those around here that I know, men around 50 need to be careful. Seems those are getting it the hardest from the ones I know.
    Here in our community we have had a 51 year-old middle school teacher pass recently from Covid and we have another, either 47 or 48, that has been in the hospital for 3 weeks.

I have both had the disease and am also vaccinated. As it happened, I received the first shot and learned 10 minutes later that my wife had tested positive. I thought I might be in trouble, but I had an exceptionally mild case, completely asymptomatic, though I did have a viral cough for 10 weeks afterward. That can happen with any flu.

FWIW, I was hauled into Kaiser last week for a booster shot. (I take methotrexate, an immunosuppressant, for an arthritic condition, and have for 30 years. That's why the priority.) The booster, it turns out, is exactly the same formula and quantity as the second vaccine shot. If they are giving shots to people in my status, they will be freely available very shortly.

I do not understand why governments at every level (Fed, State, and local) are not going in an vaccine passport direction. The Florida statue, which criminalizes making the passport a requirement, seems to me madness. It goes against the grain to require the shot legally, but putting a social sanction - blocking access to restaurants, movies, spectator sports - seems to me entirely kosher.
    My mother used to tell me, "Elwood, in this world, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so nice." For years I was smart. I recommend nice. You may quote me. - Elwood P. Dowd

I had covid in late February, was offered and accepted the infusion IV , within a couple of hours began to feel better. Very fortunate, have since been vaccinated , wife had covid a few weeks ago but I never got it this time.

Headed to a funeral on Friday for my cousin, she had the vaccine but waited too long to go to the hospital as with most nurses, then ended up having underlying conditions which caused an emergency surgery. She made it through all of it but a few days after surgery turned for the worse and went on a vent and died within 24 hours. I think the vaccine would have kept her around if it wasnt for the surgery. Sad deal she was in her mid 60s i believe. My son also has it for the second time and he's a typical college male that doesnt want to get vaccinated. No symptoms this time either, only reason he knew was because he had strep. as i said on the other board i wanted to test him for covid to confirm it wasnt a false positive, and i did and it came back positive. were all vaxed but the other son, so we havent had it yet as far as i know.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
    I have both had the disease and am also vaccinated. As it happened, I received the first shot and learned 10 minutes later that my wife had tested positive. I thought I might be in trouble, but I had an exceptionally mild case, completely asymptomatic, though I did have a viral cough for 10 weeks afterward. That can happen with any flu.

FWIW, I was hauled into Kaiser last week for a booster shot. (I take methotrexate, an immunosuppressant, for an arthritic condition, and have for 30 years. That's why the priority.) The booster, it turns out, is exactly the same formula and quantity as the second vaccine shot. If they are giving shots to people in my status, they will be freely available very shortly.

I do not understand why governments at every level (Fed, State, and local) are not going in an vaccine passport direction. The Florida statue, which criminalizes making the passport a requirement, seems to me madness. It goes against the grain to require the shot legally, but putting a social sanction - blocking access to restaurants, movies, spectator sports - seems to me entirely kosher.
    Vaccine passport requirements aren’t really indicative of anything regarding a person’s current status. People that are vaccinated can still contract the virus and pass the virus to others. The current status isn’t a permanent situation, all pandemics run their course.

It seems the biggest misnomer of the entire pandemic was originally that a) Asymptomatic people do not have and are not spreading Covid and now b)Vaccinated people do not have and are not spreading Covid. Those things often are ignored because that is the only way to continue normal life in school and work without everyone testing daily. Meanwhile the unsuspecting are spreading it like wildfire, especially the younger generation. I came to this realization last year when my asymptomatic kids passed it around to us and who knows how many others before we figured it out. Its all around us and we just have to brace for the best with the vaccine and ride it out, while still living life. I hate this for the older generation the most, has to be depressing.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by ebarbaau View Post
    I had covid in late February, was offered and accepted the infusion IV , within a couple of hours began to feel better. Very fortunate, have since been vaccinated , wife had covid a few weeks ago but I never got it this time.
    My daughter’s mother in law had the infusion about a week ago, a couple of hours afterward she had improved drastically. Yesterday a former coworker had the infusion, went home took a nap. When she woke up a couple of hours later most of her symptoms were gone.

Early treatment is a huge key. The clinic my daughter works at puts people on a Z pack, prednisone, Vitamins C & D, zinc, Pepcid and baby aspirin. It has really cut down on hospitalizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    It seems the biggest misnomer of the entire pandemic was originally that a) Asymptomatic people do not have and are not spreading Covid and now b)Vaccinated people do not have and are not spreading Covid. Those things often are ignored because that is the only way to continue normal life in school and work without everyone testing daily. Meanwhile the unsuspecting are spreading it like wildfire, especially the younger generation. I came to this realization last year when my asymptomatic kids passed it around to us and who knows how many others before we figured it out. Its all around us and we just have to brace for the best with the vaccine and ride it out, while still living life. I hate this for the older generation the most, has to be depressing.

The results of a study released last week certainly supports the notion that a lot more Americans have had the virus than the numbers might indicate. The study indicates that as many as 83% of Americans the virus antibodies.

https://www.cnn.ph/world/2021/9/3/Am...ronavirus.html
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 09-07-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post

Much of the hesitancy to do it was political.

But, that is changing. The majority of Americans now support vaccine being required to do all sorts of things:
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/354506/...uirements.aspx
    ~Puma~

OT: Matt Jones with Covid

My daughter tested positive Sunday. Her husband is deployed in Bahrain, so she’s home with their kids 1 yo, 10 yo, and a 13 yo. She and the 13 yo are the only two vaccinated in the household.

Tough taking care of the baby and a 10 yo having covid. While her symptoms are very mild her biggest concern is the two children not vaccinated especially the 1 yo.

The 13 yo is a huge help, plus their Navy family. It never ceases to amaze me how close the Navy family is and how far they go to help each other whether spouses are deployed or not. There is a steady stream of people in and out of her house 24/7 taking care of anything that needs to done.

While I’m 10 hours away, I’m at complete ease knowing her and her family are being cared for.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

What is the infusion?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    What is the infusion?
    It’s the antibodies infusion. They harvested antibodies from people that have had the virus and give them to someone recently infected. It’s having great success.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    It’s the antibodies infusion. They harvested antibodies from people that have had the virus and give them to someone recently infected. It’s having great success.
    I generally have tried to avoid these discussions but have to ask, isn’t the point of vaccines to give the body an opportunity to prepare for a future attack by getting your immune system primed to create your own antibodies when needed?

If someone refuses on principle from taking a Covid vaccine designed to allow them to create their own antibodies because it’s somehow considered unnatural etc., it seems contradictory and illogical for that person to later accept a cocktail of someone else’s antibodies. Maybe the simple fact that THEY get sick changes their feelings on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by JPScott View Post
    I generally have tried to avoid these discussions but have to ask, isn’t the point of vaccines to give the body an opportunity to prepare for a future attack by getting your immune system primed to create your own antibodies when needed?

If someone refuses on principle from taking a Covid vaccine designed to allow them to create their own antibodies because it’s somehow considered unnatural etc., it seems contradictory and illogical for that person to later accept a cocktail of someone else’s antibodies. Maybe the simple fact that THEY get sick changes their feelings on the matter?
    My coworker has been vaccinate, and should have been protected by her antibodies from the vaccine. My bigger question is why are the donated antibodies more effective than the vaccine?

My coworker has been vaccinate, and should have been protected by her antibodies from the vaccine. My bigger question is why are the donated antibodies more effective than the vaccine?
    They aren't. One is for prevention and the other for treatment. Completely different. Not only that, they are different types of antibodies which Pedro can probably explain much better than I can.

Final thing I will say, is yes, those infusions have worked for some to feel better. But they do not work for many many people. That is why we are losing 2,000-3,000 people a day to Covid right now.
    There is some kind of weird obsession that has happened in some circles with Covid treatments vs Covid preventative measures (masks and vaccines). These are not competitive. Both were created by Science. Both work in totally different ways.

But, 99% of the people dying (and this has been true for months) are unvaccinated (including many that were treated with infusions and many other measures to save them).

Vaccines absolutely, without a doubt work and this is not even debatable statistically speaking.
    ~Puma~

Bombino

Maybe it’s just a matter of more is better? More antibodies physically present to fight off the virus or possibly more variation in antibodies. If that’s true then I’m sure there’s probably immunologists studying that very question.

Wish we had an accurate figure of complications from taking the shot. A friends daughter got a mini stroke after first shot, neurologist told her caused by shot. Some of his grandson's friends got "palsy" after taking. My gut tells me these cases are rare but probably happen more often than we think. Why we shouldn't force people to take

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Wish we had an accurate figure of complications from taking the shot. A friends daughter got a mini stroke after first shot, neurologist told her caused by shot. Some of his grandson's friends got "palsy" after taking. My gut tells me these cases are rare but probably happen more often than we think. Why we shouldn't force people to take
    At the nursing home my wife and daughter work at the guy that manages the cafeteria has been a mess since taking the second shot. I don’t know what the issues are, but he can’t hardly walk now, he was fine before taking the vaccine. His doctor said his issues are due to the vaccine. An office worker died from a heart attack within a short time of taking the vaccine, myocarditis from the vaccine brought on the heart attack. The residents they lost to the virus were all vaccinated.

I'm moving this thread to the Front Porch. It is now 100% non-sports, and barely was to start. I'll leave a redirect on this one for those wishing to continue the discussion.

As of right now this isn't really political so I chose the Front Porch.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.