Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Any tips for driving car in Northern states in the winter?

My daughter has a Honda CRV. She has a new set of tires on the car with about 5,000 miles on them now but they are not snow tires. Of course, that was fine in Georgia, where she went to school in Alabama where she occasionally visited at her home. She is now living in New York, and as the Fall season approaches I'm starting to think about how she should prepare for the winter.

Are snow tires pretty much recommended for everyone?

What would a person do with the existing tires if they are merely renting a room to live in?

Are there other safe alternatives?

I know it's still August, but just trying to get ahead of the game.

Re: Any tips for driving car in Northern states in the winter?

In Montana snow tires are essential. I use Blizzaks but there are a couple of others. All are expensive and dont last long. I don’t have good reports about all season tires, but look for ones rated best for snow.

Stopping and control are essential. Big lugged tires help you go but not stop or control.

Drive like you should barely touch the accelerator or brake pedal and the steering wheel is hot to the touch.

No sudden movements. Don’t start fast and don’t try to stop fast. CRV’s are good, dependable front wheel drives but it’s usually the other guy you have to watch out for.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    No sudden movements. Don’t start fast and don’t try to stop fast. CRV’s are good, dependable front wheel drives but it’s usually the other guy you have to watch out for.
    Depending on the model they can also be 4wd or awd.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Have very little experience driving on NY roads in the winter. That experience is limited to western NY in the Syracuse and west of that area. Have logged many tens of thousands of miles in Ohio, Michigan, and western PA. If one can get around in the Erie to Syracuse corridor in January, they can drive anywhere. Rear wheel drive cars and trucks need studded tires and weight in the rear end. I drove all my miles in a Ford Explorer, in 4wd with 200 lbs of salt in the back end and I had no need for studded tires. Driver needs to drive ahead when approaching hills to avoid stopping and having to take off on an incline.

For a girl from Bama, it will be a learning experience, and my advice is to take it slow and easy and as I said before, drive way ahead of the front end of your vehicle and plan stops and acceleration areas with care. Next best idea is to use public transport to get around.
    I pat all 3 of those states for their attention to plowing main roads and townships scattering cinders on their unplowed roads.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

What would a person do with the existing tires if they are merely renting a room to live in?
    Put them in the trunk or in the back compartment of an SUV. They add weight for traction
    seeya
    dan

Slow and steady, lightly pump brakes, steer into slides…. Good news, northern states do a good job of clearing roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Make a habit of only using the gear you need on slick surfaces. the second gear range can often get you where you need to be safer than allowing your tranny to work automatically. Stopping should include down shifting and allowing for quicker slowing absent brake pressure. Practice using those gear ranges before hand is a good idea so you know what’s comfortable for your tranny. But don’t hesitate to use them when stopping in ice and snow.
    Brakes should be considered hot to the touch like was said. They must be lightly applied.

There is good reason for the different gears to be accessible. Driving slick roads must be a driving balet, or else you are a two ton bowling ball. Always be on your toes and cautious of rogue bowlers you might encounter.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-22-2021 at 04:51 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Great comments and suggestions, thank you.

Any idea if tire shops there would buy her really good tires, then let her buy snow tires, then buy the really good snow tires back from her at the end of the season and sell her other new tires? Sort of like an lease of new tires for 3-4 months, then lease other new tires for 8-9 months, then lease...

I'd guess she'd take a shellacking but I don't think she's going to be keen on keeping 4 tires in the back of her car permanently (although man, wouldn't that be great to always have a spare, and a spare spare, and a spare spare spare, and a spare spare spare spare, and a spare spare spare spare spare?

Only solution to no storage is to buy the softest, highest rated for winter, “siped” maybe even, all season tires.
    Last edited by bigsky; 08-22-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Some stores will store your tires. Here is one local chain (to me) that does. I would think others would follow suit.

https://www.discounttire.com/

"ASK US ABOUT STORING YOUR WINTER/SNOW TIRES!
    Many of our stores offer tire storage, making Discount Tire your one-stop-shop for all aspects of winter tire service.*

Have more questions about winter tires? We cover tons of winter tire topics, including:

Tires with the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake Symbol

Studded Winter Tires vs. Tire Chains

High-Performance Winter Tires

All-Terrain and Mud Tires in Snow

All-Season vs. Summer vs. Winter Tires

*Winter tire storage availability and cost varies by location.

Ready to get your prepped for winter weather? We’ve got the winter tires and rims you need to do the job."

A quick search also shows a chain out of Michigan with over a hundred stores that provides such a service so I think its common.

Not so with the Big O stores and affiliates as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-22-2021 at 08:43 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Some stores will store your tires. Here is one local chain (to me) that does. I would think others would follow suit.

https://www.discounttire.com/

"ASK US ABOUT STORING YOUR WINTER/SNOW TIRES!
    Many of our stores offer tire storage, making Discount Tire your one-stop-shop for all aspects of winter tire service.*

Have more questions about winter tires? We cover tons of winter tire topics, including:

Tires with the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake Symbol

Studded Winter Tires vs. Tire Chains

High-Performance Winter Tires

All-Terrain and Mud Tires in Snow

All-Season vs. Summer vs. Winter Tires

*Winter tire storage availability and cost varies by location.

Ready to get your prepped for winter weather? We’ve got the winter tires and rims you need to do the job."

A quick search also shows a chain out of Michigan with over a hundred stores that provides such a service so I think its common.

Not so with the Big O stores and affiliates as far as I can tell.
    Oh, man that would be great. That's a nice service.

Fab Five

You didn’t say, but where you live in NY makes a big difference in winter driving. As one who for thirty years had to be at work, on time, regardless of weather, all season tires should suffice anywhere around the NYC Metro. If she is in the Adirondecks, Finger Lakes or Buffalo, snow tires are a must. Additionally, I recommend keeping battery jumper cables, energy snacks, water and blankets in the vehicle. It’s very possible she can wind up in stand still traffic for extended periods. And lastly keep at least a half tank of gas in the car all winter.
    Real Fan since 1958

Additionally, I recommend keeping battery jumper cables, energy snacks, water and blankets in the vehicle. It’s very possible she can wind up in stand still traffic for extended periods. And lastly keep at least a half tank of gas in the car all winter.

Very sound advice when driving anywhere in the frozen north. Having a couple large candles and a box of matches or a lighter is also a good idea to use as a heat source. Diapers and or a female urinal might be handy at times as well when stuck in traffic for an extended period of time. I always had an empty 32 ounce plastic drink bottle and a small funnel in my vehicle for such emergencies.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You didn’t say, but where you live in NY makes a big difference in winter driving. As one who for thirty years had to be at work, on time, regardless of weather, all season tires should suffice anywhere around the NYC Metro. If she is in the Adirondecks, Finger Lakes or Buffalo, snow tires are a must. Additionally, I recommend keeping battery jumper cables, energy snacks, water and blankets in the vehicle. It’s very possible she can wind up in stand still traffic for extended periods. And lastly keep at least a half tank of gas in the car all winter.
    60 miles almost due north of NYC, Goshen area.

Good suggestions, regardless of the area.

Like Mick says, go with all season tires. Which drive train does she have in the CRV?

Growing up we lived an hour south of Cleveland. Lots of snow that close to Lake Erie. In 20 years Dad didn’t miss a day of work until the place he worked at closed for the ‘78 blizzard. One big difference when you go north is that they are more equipped for the snow removal, plus there isn’t near as much of the borderline freezing-thawing stuff. The worst places are at stop lights and stop signs where the warm exhaust hits the cold road and creates a layer of black ice.

The worst driving conditions come when a heavy snow is dumped faster than they can keep it clean.