Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Social media and the loss of perspective

Social media and the loss of perspective

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Social media and the loss of perspective

The suppression of free speech by Big Tech makes it worse. Twitter is probably the worst, it is basically a liberal echo chamber where dissenting views are crushed.

In an age where we have access to more information than in human history at our fingertips...the information is not trusted.

So, this proves once and for all that information in and of itself is only as valuable as the source of the information and its trustworthiness.

No one who was an early adopter on sports message boards in the late 1990s is surprised by the failures and drawbacks of social media.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    No one who was an early adopter on sports message boards in the late 1990s is surprised by the failures and drawbacks of social media.
    This.

Social media is more disease than anything else. If a board isn't moderated it will become crap really fast, we've all seen it. The problem with something the scope of twitter is that a) it's too big to moderate, and b) it clearly will be moderated not to a standard of equal access and expression but more like how we would treat UL fans on a UK board. This is a pro UK site and we moderate as such, but there's another board for UL folks. With Twitter if you disagree with their ideology where do you go?

Too much to put here, but this is the railroads all over again with Facebook, Twitter, Google, et al. They control the flow of information the way the railroads once controlled the flow of goods. It's extremely dangerous, even more so than the railroads. First b/c it's far more insidious and hard to see for the average person and second b/c the very mechanisms that would expose them are under their control, unlike railroads.

In fact it's beyond "dangerous". It's a sure path to totalitarianism. Period. We already have growing signs of it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I dumped FaceBook about 3 years ago, have never been on Twitter or the others. I was on Parler for a short while, until it was shut down by that tyrant Dorsey.

This is the only real social media type site I am on now.
    MOLON LABE!

I started reading one a couple of days ago, Rumble.com. It purports to be a more conservative version of Youtube. It is definitely a more conservative site, and it is fairly evident that they do not moderate the site like youtube, facebook, and or twitter do. I have been getting a kick out of reading and watching some of the videos. There are some real loons on there for sure. There is an antivaxer that posts videos there, and she predicts that everyone that got a dose of the MRNA vaccine will start dropping like flies in the next 4 to 6 months. Claims that it is already killing the version 2 of one's white blood cells and that means that the version 1 white blood cells will start killing healthy lung cells. She claims to be a doctor and she talks a good game with properly terminology but she is a real loon when her spiel is boiled down to a nice soup. She thinks that all of the more recent diseases, ebola, MERS, Sars, H1N1, Covid have all been hand made and are mostly harmless but have been hyped to the point with scare tactics that a huge % of the population of developed nations are preconditioned to jump on the Vax train.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 08-13-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Social media is like any other tool - it’s value is in how you use it. I enjoy message boards, Twitter snd Facebook (and rare forays to Insta-gram) for Ted most part. I do see some stupid stuff, but can usually ignore it, and try just to follow stuff/people that interests me. It’s not perfect, but what is?

It’s great to have all of this info for forming opinions, except that you have to be pretty diligent to wade through to more truth, and most will not do that.
    Go Cats!