Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Anyone own an E Bike?

Anyone own an E Bike?

Mrs. BEvans and I are thinking about getting a pair but just starting to gather info. Any tips, etc.?
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Anyone own an E Bike?

Funny, I just saw a Facebook thread on exactly this same issue. I'm not sure that I would trust it, but I'll see if I can link it. It's in an RV users group, and they apparently use those a lot.

Well, crud. I thought it was in the Cool RV Stuff - Gizmos, Gadgets, Decorating, etc. Group. It's a private group, but they have 341,000 members, and let anyone join (obviously, since I don't have a RV). Anyway, there are a bunch of posts in it, but not the thread I was looking for.

Anyway, here's a cut and paste from that Group. It's not what I was looking for, but has some in it.

Looking for recommendations for electric bicycle
    70 Comments
    Michell Koontz Waelder
    Following
    · Reply · 1y
    Gail Fawley
    Michell Koontz Waelder to follow a post, click on the 3 dots upper right corner and select "turn on notifications".
    · Reply · 1y
    Ralph Westerhoff
    M2S bicycles
    We have 2 and love them … See More
    M2S Bikes - Mountains To Sea Electric Bike Company
    SHOP.M2SBIKES.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Jeremy VanDomelen
    I ended up getting a segway scooter but during my research I came across Rad Power Bikes and they are awesome. They even have a folding one for easier storage.
    · Reply · 1y · Edited
    Jeremy VanDomelen
    https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/...electric-bikes
    Folding Electric Bikes | Rad Power Bikes
    RADPOWERBIKES.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Josh Flowers
    https://amzn.to/2C8ZblL
    Jetson Bolt Folding E-Bike Full Throttle Electric Bicycle with LCD Display
    AMAZON.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Tom Warfield
    Not the cheapest but Pedego makes a complete line from cruisers to mountain to extreme step-thrus to folding.
    https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/
    Pedego Electric Bikes - America's Biggest & Best Electric Bike Brand
    PEDEGOELECTRICBIKES.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    John Little
    Check theses out. Wow. Reconpowerbikes
    · Reply · 1y
    John Little
    Www.reconpowerbikes.com
    Welcome – Recon Power Bike
    RECONPOWERBIKES.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Gary Novy
    Evelo bikes are the bomb. No gears. Look at their warranty. I have the mountain bike and the wife a cruiser. Love em. But not cheap
    · Reply · 1y · Edited
    Christy Chatfield Gaines
    We have a specialized como 3.0
    · Reply · 1y
    Cory Jo Pearson Killorin
    Rad Bikes.
    · Reply · 1y
    Tim Catron
    if you want cheap but SOLID build and good performance I can heartily recommend Lectric brand ebikes. We have 2 with a 3rd (new step through model) on the way. They fold up so are easy to store and are fast and well build with easily replaced common c… See More
    · Reply · 1y
    Mark Chylinski
    Rad
    · Reply · 1y
    Kathy Heinkel
    I have aventon 350. Keep in mind there are 3 classes of ebike. Class 3 has more restrictions on where it can be riden
    · Reply · 1y
    Randy McDaniel
    We have the Electra E-Bikes with Bosche batteries. Almost two years now and we really enjoy them. https://electra.trekbikes.com/.../to...th-go/c/EB220/
    Townie Path Go! | Electra Bikes
    ELECTRA.TREKBIKES.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Jeff Mortenson
    My wife ani recently bought these Lectric XP'S. We love them. They are now making a step thru version. They fold. A little heavy but we like them alot.
    No photo description available.
    · Reply · 1y
    Bill Freeman
    We ride M2S bikes. They are great bikes
    · Reply · 1y
    Jim Bell
    You better have a long power cord
    · Reply · 1y
    Jeffery Hardy
    We love our Blix bikes!
    · Reply · 1y
    D'Nita Hardy
    We have Blix Aveny and we love them!
    · Reply · 1y
    Gary Grapevine
    We just bought Treks
    · Reply · 1y
    Andrea Hachtel
    We bought 2 Giant e-bikes
    · Reply · 1y
    Mike Craig
    We bought Pedego love them
    · Reply · 1y
    Debbie Legan Bradley
    Following
    · Reply · 1y
    Gail Fawley
    Debbie Legan Bradley to follow a post, click on the 3 dots upper right corner and select "turn on notifications".
    · Reply · 1y
    John Manso
    we bought two of the Rad mini bikes. Very strong, big fat tires great for sand or soft ground. well built. I can email you a discount referral code. I got a nice sturdy rack from amazon to hold them on the back of my RV
    · Reply · 1y
    Marisa Walters
    John Manso I have been looking at the Rad bikes too. Did lots of research for “top ebikes” and Rad seemed to show up in every one of the reports. How long is the referral code good for? Might be interested. Right now you can’t get one until August/Se… See More
    · Reply · 52w
    John Manso
    order now and wait is your only option I guess. They might surprise you and send it early. I'll send link code to you just in case you want to use it. have a great day. They are fun to customize. I upgraded my seat to a big foam one, added phone holder… See More
    · Reply · 52w
    Fran Compton
    Husband has a Rambo 750 loves it
    · Reply · 1y
    Ryan Johnson
    Plus one for the Rad Bikes.
    · Reply · 1y
    Dean Estep
    DJ bikes Canadian made. Amazing
    · Reply · 1y
    Ryan Christopher
    Love this topic, I’ve been ebike shopping for a long time but I just can’t get onboard with these dorky looking bikes and the better looking MTB styles are stupid expensive... the hunt continues.
    · Reply · 1y
    Ray Sterbens
    Driven bikes from Costa Mesa CA. Great designs, the best components including the largest disk brakes on the market and best of all, everything is standard, no options to buy. Had fenders, racks and a pneumatic seat post standard. Look at the website … See More
    DrivenBikes.com Custom Electric Bicycles, Fat Cruisers
    DRIVENBIKES.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Terry Thurn
    Had my Rad for a few months--still love it.
    · Reply · 1y
    Jeff Maher
    I've got the Rad mini, great bike .
    · Reply · 1y
    Chiwawa Diep
    Lectric bikes ��
    · Reply · 1y
    Chiwawa Diep
    · Reply · 1y
    Chiwawa Diep
    · Reply · 1y
    Berkeley Bidgood
    If you are handicapped and are able to stand but not walk a long way, a segway is the way to go since they are ADA approved and the same as a wheelchair. If a wheelchair can go somewhere a segway can too by federal ADA law.
    · Reply · 1y
    Barb Caden
    I just got mine from DJ bikes. It is a women’s step through and I love it! We had one small issue caused by shipping, I emailed the company and had a response and resolution within 15 minutes. Great quality!
    · Reply · 1y
    Terri Bradley Morgan
    Barb Caden which DJ do you have? How long did it take to get after you ordered? I'm thinking about cancelling my Lectric and getting a DJ.
    · Reply · 1y
    Terri Bradley Morgan
    Barb Caden yah. I called and talked to them. ���� The city bike isn't a folding bike.
    · Reply · 1y
    Terri Bradley Morgan
    I need the fat tire. For anyone else, if you order from their website, it's cheaper.
    · Reply · 1y
    Kelli Libby
    Love!!! My Aventon Pace 500.
    We tested and road numerous bikes in making our final decision.
    1. 40 miles to a charge. Battery take approximately 500 charges until needs a new one. … See More
    · Reply · 1y
    Denise Taylor
    Kelli Libby I just picked up mine last night and love it! Now my husband can ride at his natural pace and I can keep up with him with my 2 bad knees.
    May be an image of 1 person
    · Reply · 1y
    Kathy Heinkel
    I have to 350. Love it
    · Reply · 51w
    Don Strode Jr.
    Ancheer on Amazon. Have had mine for three years. Really enjoy.
    · Reply · 1y
    Bess Jane
    We have trek verve + love them
    · Reply · 1y
    Tom Walsh
    Rad power bikes, great bikes and great customer service and warranty service..... I am on my second as I decided to get a off road bike for trail riding....
    · Reply · 1y
    Daniel Arthur
    Rad Power Bikes
    · Reply · 1y
    Rich Folk
    Rad
    · Reply · 1y
    Eunice Selewski
    I love my Trek Townie Go. Almost 800 miles since March.
    · Reply · 1y
    Mary Rolls Layh
    We just bought two E-cell bikes. Won’t have them till September but they look amazing. Little more expensive but for what you get looks like a good value. Actually talked and bought thru the owner/designer. Very impressed with him and his product. Wort… See More
    · Reply · 1y
    Richard Johnson
    Mary Rolls Layh hi Mary I looked up E-Cell and it gave me nothing about bikes?? Only about finding E in cells.
    What is the NAME BRAND of the bike ??? Thanks for your help
    Richard & Jean
    · Reply · 1y
    Richard Johnson
    Mary Rolls Layh ok thanks. My wife and I are very interested at our age 76+ we need a little help every now and then. Lol
    · Reply · 51w
    Richard Johnson
    Thank you I just saw the web you gave me.
    · Reply · 51w
    Janet Fowler
    Elby electric bikes.
    · Reply · 1y
    Jodi Dassow
    “Juiced” out of California
    · Reply · 1y
    Patricia Hornig Kimball
    Just be sure to buy pedal assist because they are allowed on bike trails. Have a townie go.
    · Reply · 1y
    Barb Caden
    I also recommended having the throttle. Now if I could just find a REALLY comfy seat I’d be all set!
    · Reply · 1y
    Tina Jeselnik Sutton
    Yolo bikes. So cute. Fun to ride. Yoloboard.com.
    YOLO Board | SUP Shop | eBike & Paddle Board Company
    YOLOBOARD.COM
    · Reply · 1y
    Doug Cermak
    Rad power bikes their mini folds up
    · Reply · 1y
    Richard Johnson
    · Reply · 1y
    Kathy Heinkel
    Aventon 350. Keep in mind E bikes have 3 classes. Class 3 has limited places one can ride. From ex. Some state parks and trails don't allow calss 3.

Thanks, Darrell. Several brands there (Rad, Aventon, Trek) that I've seen so far in my initial research.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Brian, you know I over research everything to death. So I join several of the RV Facebook groups just to lurk and see what they're selling for and what things work for them, and what things don't. If I run across the more specific one tonight as I am lurking again, I will post it. I'm not looking for electric bikes, but it just happened that it was posted in one of them and I saw it last night.

A quick look at the local bike shops and what their websites say they carry:

Shop 1:
    Trek
    Electra
    $1600 and up

Shop 2:
    Very confusing website, no obvious e bike choices

Shop 3:
    Ditto

Shop 4:
    Has a link for e bikes, but clicking on it gets you "Sorry, no items were found matching your criteria."

I think this might be one where I have to rely on the kindness of strangers for recommendations. I guess the good news is there's such a large variety of brands with no clear leader (as far as I can tell) that pricing should be competitive.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 07-19-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans and I are thinking about getting a pair but just starting to gather info. Any tips, etc.?
    My only question is, “why”? What are you looking for in an electric bike that you couldn’t get in a 24speed bike? I have friends in Birmingham who regularly ride over Red Mountain and Shades Mountain. So, hills are generally not a barrier. Some of my friends doing this are in their 70’s. They are biking 25 to 30 miles at a time.

If you are looking for something more than a form of exercise with your transportation needs, buy a moped. I have known people who have biked about 20 miles or so only to have the electric assist give out before the trip is over.. You are then stuck with a heavy bike pedaling hard to get back to the starting point.
    Real Fan since 1958

Thanks, Mick. We don't own bicycles but the place where we're buying a house has a lot of e bike users so Mrs. BEvans would like one, too.

(Which is another way of saying "because the wife wants one.")

Fab Five

As for a recommendation if money is no object Santa Cruz is the bike, Bullit CC. My personal recommendation would be the Cannondale Treadwell. Cannondale has served me well for decades. I don’t know the Treks very well, but they typically are very good.

Considerations should include bike weight and charging distance. If you are out of juice and have to pedal weight is an issue. Charging distance is important. Many bikes can’t go as far or long as advertised. How you use the bike and elevation changes may affect the life. Ask about the tires and how well they hold up. Tire life can vary greatly. If buying from a reputable store ask to test ride and be sure you ride a portion uphill with electric assist off.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Thanks, Mick. We don't own bicycles but the place where we're buying a house has a lot of e bike users so Mrs. BEvans would like one, too.

(Which is another way of saying "because the wife wants one.")
    A couple of additional thoughts. On the trails where you live, do others use ebikes? If not you may be passing a lot of riders which means in and out of the main bike lane.

I tend to believe people are happiest with ebikes used for commutes where bikers are using public streets and want to maintain faster speeds over longer periods. (i now have to stop about every 3 or 4 miles. Age is catching up). In reading on line reviews of ebikes it is hard to determine how the bikes are being used and for what purpose. That affects how they write the review. I find ebike reviews are oriented to speed and distance. There are many other considerations such as comfort and durability. Also with an ebike you may be hitting bumps at a faster speed.
    Real Fan since 1958

Earn those pints! Conversely, little 49cc Hondas are a nice way to tool around the dry areas of the country

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    A couple of additional thoughts. On the trails where you live, do others use ebikes? If not you may be passing a lot of riders which means in and out of the main bike lane.

I tend to believe people are happiest with ebikes used for commutes where bikers are using public streets and want to maintain faster speeds over longer periods. (i now have to stop about every 3 or 4 miles. Age is catching up). In reading on line reviews of ebikes it is hard to determine how the bikes are being used and for what purpose. That affects how they write the review. I find ebike reviews are oriented to speed and distance. There are many other considerations such as comfort and durability. Also with an ebike you may be hitting bumps at a faster speed.
    We're buying a place in The Villages. Mrs. BEvans is retired and I'm not (yet), so she'll be down there and I'll be flying down frequently. They have a huge golf cart culture with separate multimodal paths for golf carts/bikes/etc.

Most of the area she'll be biking will be flat and paved, but there are some bridges where there's a steep incline and she would probably need a boost.

Most

The new 3.2 trillion dollar infrastructure bill has a provision to provide an e bike to every citizen over the age of 17.

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-20-2021 at 01:55 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The new 3.2 trillion dollar infrastructure bill has a provision to provide an e bike to every citizen over the age of 17.

Dont give them any ideas.

I heard Simon Cowell has one for sale
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Earn those pints! Conversely, little 49cc Hondas are a nice way to tool around the dry areas of the country
    I had a Honda Z50 when I was a kid. I'm way too big for it now, but I'm still tore up we sold it. I just loved it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

So she ended up getting a Lectric XP 2.0 (step through model), and she really likes it. It was probably the best bike we could find at that price point and they have great customer service. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for their 1st ebike.

Anyone own an E Bike?

So she ended up getting a Lectric XP 2.0 (step through model), and she really likes it. It was probably the best bike we could find at that price point and they have great customer service. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for their 1st ebike.
    Sporty, real sporty. Plus, the fat tires for sandy terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire