Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Pet Rabbit Questions

Rupp's Runt

Pet Rabbit Questions

My 6 year old is dying for a pet. I'm done with dogs. So she is wanting two "small rabbits".

How much trouble are they? Do both genders get along? Can they be spayed and neutered?

I've tried to sell her on a goldfish...no luck...

Pet Rabbit Questions

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    My 6 year old is dying for a pet. I'm done with dogs. So she is wanting two "small rabbits".

How much trouble are they? Do both genders get along? Can they be spayed and neutered?

I've tried to sell her on a goldfish...no luck...
    I had a rabbit when I was a kid, but we built a hutch for it under a tree in backyard. Had a slide out tray for droppings… piece of cake. I had to water, feed, change out straw and keep tray clean. In the winter we winterized the cage and they’d let me bring it in the house from time to time. I had it for 3-4 years.

I had a leash for it so I could let it out and hop around the yard.

Parents built a house in a new subdivision and the out door hutch wasn’t allowed so I gave it to my sweetheart (6th grade) no jokes, but it died a short time later. Yep the rabbit died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Pet Rabbit Questions

Rabbits should be neutered (is correct term for both males and females). Process is similar to a cat, meaning on males there is no sutures and nothing is closed...basically you cut the scrotum and take out the testicles, and sew nothing up. The female rabbit has no uterine body, just 2 uterine horns, and thus 2 cervices.

Feed rabbit food rather than fresh veggies as the water content will give them diarrhea. Also they require some dental care by having their teeth trimmed occasionally. Have vet do it, or use a dremmel attached saw. Wire cutters are used on occasion but they can and will break teeth.

Most rabbits can be litter trained, like a cat.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I had a rabbit when I was a kid, but we built a hutch for it under a tree in backyard. Had a slide out tray for droppings… piece of cake. I had to water, feed, change out straw and keep tray clean. In the winter we winterized the cage and they’d let me bring it in the house from time to time. I had it for 3-4 years.

I had a leash for it so I could let it out and hop around the yard.

Parents built a house in a new subdivision and the out door hutch wasn’t allowed so I gave it to my sweetheart (6th grade) no jokes, but it died a short time later. Yep the rabbit died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant the sweetheart died.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I thought it meant the sweetheart was pregnant.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

To continue. Rabbits do make good pets. I had one while in college. A French Lop named Flash. He was quite social and easy to care for once he was litter trained. No vaccines needed and not costly to keep. Flash lived indoors and had the run of the house

Two other considerations would be hedgehog and chinchilla. We have had both. The hedgehog was my son's. Sonic (as all hedgehogs are name) was clean and quiet. They are primarily nocturnal. As the the chinchillas, Porsche, Lambo and one I forget were my daughters. One died during a hurricane (poss stress related). The other two went soon after. Also good pets. Of course you always have Guinea Pigs and hamsters
    Last edited by Doc; 07-04-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Flash lived indoors and had the run of the house
    Had not thought about indoors. How are they with allergies?

Low antigen so in most cases are allergy friendly. My wife was strongly cat.allergic. She had no issiues.with flash.

I brought him home one year during the summer. We had land in Anchorage and Flash spent most time outdoor. The following year we had a sudden rise in wild rabbits with floppy ears. Flash was da .an!

My daughter's rabbit moved in with us over the weekend. Our grand daughter and grand son got rescue cats that are kittens and the social dynamic did not look like it was going to work out. It is an indoor rabbit but does not have run of house. My wife bought it a 2 story condo to live in. We plan on it having all the house to play in during the day if we can ever coax it to come out of the condo to play.
    seeya
    dan

My daughter got a hypoallergenic rabbit for our soon to be three year old granddaughter. I believe it is a Rex breed. We have an indoor cage for him, or maybe it is a her…

https://petkeen.com/hypoallergenic-rabbit-breeds/

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    We have an indoor cage for him, or maybe it is a her…
    Maybe the rabbit hasn't chosen yet?

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    To continue. Rabbits do make good pets. I had one while in college. A French Lop named Flash. He was quite social and easy to care for once he was litter trained. No vaccines needed and not costly to keep. Flash lived indoors and had the run of the house

Two other considerations would be hedgehog and chinchilla. We have had both. The hedgehog was my son's. Sonic (as all hedgehogs are name) was clean and quiet. They are primarily nocturnal. As the the chinchillas, Porsche, Lambo and one I forget were my daughters. One died during a hurricane (poss stress related). The other two went soon after. Also good pets. Of course you always have Guinea Pigs and hamsters
    So we told my oldest she had to do more around the house first. So I guess she started in on the grandparents. BTW, you grandparent folks are suckers! Doc, what kind of rabbits do I have?

Attachment 10128

Rupp's Runt

The white one is Buttercup and the other one is Flower.

The long haired rabbit may be an Angora. The white one looks like a California and Angora mix. Angoras have long hair and the California breed is typically white with the red eyes. Californias make good meat rabbits.

So we told my oldest she had to do more around the house first. So I guess she started in on the grandparents. BTW, you grandparent folks are suckers! Doc, what kind of rabbits do I have?

Attachment 10128
    If you are gonna let them smoke, you should at least teach them to pick up the butts.
    seeya
    dan

Rabbits...my daughter has been wearing me out at rural king for years to buy her a rabbit. i didnt really want to watch our english bulldog chase it around and didnt want the smell if there is one. we've come so close so many times to buying a dang rabbit. actually the dog found a nest of babies in the front yard last year and we made the mistake of trying to nurse them with bottles...that was a slow painful week of death and despair. Rabbits...
    Go Cats!