Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Netflix watchers??

Netflix watchers??

I put this on this board because it seems more political than anything

Any netflix subscribers out there that are watching "House of Cards"? This is a netflix series that was just released (13 episodes) which is based on a DC senator and the wheelings and dealing of Washington. Has quite a bit of backstabbing and some good twists. Did a great job on the storylines and the casting. Kevin Spacey has the lead part and is exceptionally good.

I'd definitely recommend this for the political buff. I'm on the 7th episode and only started watching on Friday.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Netflix watchers??

I can't wait! I've read good things so far.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Anybody watch VEEP?

If so, how does that compare to Veep?

Never seen VEEP.

HoC is a lot like "The Soprano's". It has the underlying I don't know if I'm suppose to like the main character or not feel. I can not recommend it enough. I'm a huge fan of watching series on Netflix because I can go on a watching binge and kick out 2 or 3 episodes in a night plus watch one or two during lunch at work, etc.....
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Guessing Veep is a little sillier than the one you're watching, but similar concept, involving the VP and her staff. Lot of backroom politicking and deals going on. I enjoyed the first season thoroughly, watching on my phone. Like you, I enjoy "binge viewing" of several episodes at a time. More like a book to me then, I guess.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

Did you ever get around to watching Deadwood, D?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

This is definitely not silly.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Not yet...I need to get it on my phone. I watch about 2 hrs of "TV" a week, usually one UK game. The rest of what I get is phone oriented. I don't think the service I have has Deadwood, although it has several HBO series on it (including Veep). Maybe it does.

Veep definitely has a comedy component to it...maybe I'm using the wrong word when I suggest silly; I dunno. Reading reviews of it, looks like many love it, and many hate it. I "like it" as opposed to "I don't dislike it," so I'm pretty rare in the middle kinda guy.

Here's some reviews:

CRITICS REVIEWS
    Positive: 21 out of 30
    Mixed: 8 out of 30
    Negative: 1

USER REVIEWS

Positive: 22 out of 28
    Mixed: 3 out of 28
    Negative: 3

San Francisco Chronicle
    David Wiegand
    Apr 20, 2012
    Everything you fear might be true about how our government works--or doesn't--becomes hilarious fodder for Veep's biting satire.

procritic
    OMG! Beautiful show. Fell in love with it from episode #1. Julia L-D as always funny in a show with a lot of promise. As a communications practitioner myself I can definitely relate to the stories which I find extremely enjoyable. Long time since a show put a smile on my face like this one. An overall feel good show which I will be most definitely expecting every week. Collapse

BUT........SEE THESE

pinattar
    I tried to like this show but I couldn't. The first 5 were unbearable. Unfunny and unintelligent, I laughed maybe 3 times in total. The next five episodes were better, I laughed a lot more and the stories were interesting. Julia Louis Dreyfuss is good, but she is really just playing a variation of Old Christine. The rest of the cast are also good. In fact the acting from everyone involved is good, the major problem for me with this show was the writing. I don't want to sound like a prude, but all the excessive cursing ruined it for me. I normally have absolutely no problem with profanities, but this time it just didn't work. It just didn't fit with the rest of the dialogue, it felt like overkill. I just didn't understand why everyone was insulting each, I get that it's like a dog eat dog world but how is insulting your colleagues going to help you. In all its a alright show with some funny moments, but nothing special. It's not "In the Loop" kind of funny (haven't seen "In the Thick of It"). 5.5/10 Collapse

AND

Slant Magazine
    Phillip Maciak
    Apr 23, 2012
    Mistaking vulgarity for comic edge and very thinly stretched punnery for wit, Veep is less a trenchant satire about contemporary politics than it is a relentlessly mean-spirited spectacle about crummy people.

Deadwood is one of my all-time favorites.

Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.