Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Man, more expensive car repairs...

Man, more expensive car repairs...

At this point, I'm wondering if I have spent more on car repairs than I did when I bought the car new (that will teach me a valuable lesson--I almost NEVER do that).

2009 Honda Odyssey van. Have bought a new motor (well, used), which was the biggest expenditure so far. This one is a combination of some sort of vacuum hose, set of 3 pistons and rings (I'm probably saying that wrong) for 3 of the 6 cylinders, and replacing the timing belt (I know, that's maintenance...but being done early since the whole engine is being torn apart anyway).

Bombino

Re: Man, more expensive car repairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    At this point, I'm wondering if I have spent more on car repairs than I did when I bought the car new (that will teach me a valuable lesson--I almost NEVER do that).

2009 Honda Odyssey van. Have bought a new motor (well, used), which was the biggest expenditure so far. This one is a combination of some sort of vacuum hose, set of 3 pistons and rings (I'm probably saying that wrong) for 3 of the 6 cylinders, and replacing the timing belt (I know, that's maintenance...but being done early since the whole engine is being torn apart anyway).
    Wow, that is a lot of work and rare for Hondas. I just had my alternator replaced in my 04 Honda CR-V and it wasn't cheap but beyond that the car has been moderately reliable.

I have two Honda CR-Vs and they have been excellent so far. I think I got the Odyssey dud. I keep throwing money at it saying, "I know Honda. They're good cars. This will be it."

And then the next thing happens.

This will be it this time. I feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Wow, that is a lot of work and rare for Hondas. I just had my alternator replaced in my 04 Honda CR-V and it wasn't cheap but beyond that the car has been moderately reliable.
    I'd take your CRV across country and feel fine with it. Daughter has a 2007 and I feel the same. Son has the "new" car in the family, a 2016, and of course, I'd feel good in that. In fact, I may be driving it 2500 miles next week (1250ish each way).

Seems that it would be best to do a complete job on the pistons while your in there. The timing belt is a given as it would need to be done at 100,000 anyway. And you are looking at it doing a ring job. My daughter has one with several hundred thousand miles on it..of course my SIL is a certified mechanic.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

07 Honda Fit. I've had to replace the coil packs but that is all. Mom is currently driving it. No clue how many miles but over 200,000 at this point. I'd drive it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Was the piston damage a result of timing belt failure?

We’ve had 2 Honda Odyssey vans over the years. An 02 and an 07. 600k miles between the 2. Both had timing belt service as part of normal maintenance. The 2007 had an AC issue that was about $800 over and above normal maintenance. No complaints from me about either one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Was the piston damage a result of timing belt failure?
    No, timing belt still fine. Just going to replace since it's been about 80k miles and save some on labor.

Fab Five

I'm still reeling from the visit to the Subaru dealership last week. Routine maintenance. Asked them to check tire pressure as sensor warning light had just illuminated. I got the car back and first time I restarted the the car the indicator light came back on. As I was only a couple of blocks from the dealership, I took it right back and asked them to double check the pressure. Pressure was fine it was a bad sensor. $286 to replace the sensor. I couldn't stop laughing. It's a $45 part. I have driven over 50 years and have never had an indicator to tell me the tire pressure was low. Why do I need one now? Dealership service departments have become dinosaurs. And they wonder why I give them a 2 or 3 star rating. It should be a one, but I know if I do, I'll get a hundred emails asking for more information about my experience.
    Real Fan since 1958