Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cal's Pride and the Point Guard Dilemma

Cal's Pride and the Point Guard Dilemma

I don't think I've seen this here and not behind a paywall so suppose we can post.

https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2021/...vaughts-views/

On track or full of baloney?
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 05-02-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Comeback Cat

Re: Cal's Pride and the Point Guard Dilemma (Vaught)

I am afraid dead one and the next 3 years or so of Cal’s tenure is not going to meet expectations of the once premier basketball program

Cal’s pride hurts us no doubt when it prevents him from making changes to staff or basketball strategy or in game tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
    I don't think I've seen this here and not behind a paywall so suppose we can post.

https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2021/...vaughts-views/

On track or full of baloney?
    Probably some truth in there. It is well written as expected, yet maybe a little premature.

Time will tell if Cal is sitting somewhere chewing his nails or has or had a plan for a starting point guard in place all along. If he garners a good transfer and Mintz returns it will have proven premature imo, as will our concerns and lost confidence.

Now is not the time to concern ourselves with years down the road and building depth, it is the time to build a great team for next season and reclaim our place among the elite.
    If bringing in a point guard transfer certain to start caused Hickman's departure, then so be it. It's still a smart move to ensure we have great point guard play.
    The proven strengths at recruiting and the changing landscape in college basketball will take care of the depth issue if we accomplish that.

As for the ire of the fans and the pressure they might have put on the guys coming in being an issue, I think that's obviously a factor. But was also unavoidable.
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-02-2021 at 11:18 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

That isn’t Larry’s work, that is Keith Peel who wrote that.

It also seems to point the fingers more at UK fans than anywhere else.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Re: Cal's Pride and the Point Guard Dilemma

I am glad he is gone. The comment “UK fans showed their true colors at times” is telling. I suspect that references the criticism for the kneeling at Florida.

That was their right and UK fans’ right to blast them for it.

On the subject of Cal being stubborn, it’s only cost us two or three titles.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    That isn’t Larry’s work, that is Keith Peel who wrote that.

It also seems to point the fingers more at UK fans than anywhere else.
    Everything is the fans’ fault.

Darryl

I don’t understand the shade towards fans it does get old

I ain't buying. I want a confident and prideful coach. I blame the issue of a poor staff more than anything. Cal let the staff slip, and is addressing it.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I ain't buying. I want a confident and prideful coach. I blame the issue of a poor staff more than anything. Cal let the staff slip, and is addressing it.
    90% of the issue, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    90% of the issue, IMO.
    Agreed

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

But here is the pride side for the potential players. No one wants to step into a situation where they could be publicly embarrassed. No one. Players don’t want to be called out on social media by fans and ridiculed for playing an inexperienced, poor game of basketball. No player (or player’s parents) wants to watch their playing skills criticized 24/7 on ESPN and other media outlets because they are struggling to shoot the ball well or because they turn it over too much.

Then the question for the player becomes, “Why go there? Why take the risk?” Go to another school where the scrutiny by fans and media is not so intense and a player can still be highly successful and get drafted as a lottery pick.
    I'd imagine being cussed out by your coach in a nearly empty arena would be pretty embarrassing.

Freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
    I don’t understand the shade towards fans it does get old
    Would you want your son to go through what Askew had to go through this year as far as the online abuse he received. I'm sure we haven't seen half of it and if you are not an absolute stud with a ton of confidence why would you put you and your family through it? Also the blowback they got in this state from kneeling is in my opinion being used against them in recruiting. Us fans are not totally to blame but we do have a part in all of this

Sorry but I will NEVER apologize for blowback from being critical of any athlete (or person) for kneeling during the National Anthem. If that had any affect....GOOD RIDDANCE
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Sorry but I will NEVER apologize for blowback from being critical of any athlete (or person) for kneeling during the National Anthem. If that had any affect....GOOD RIDDANCE
    Same here. I simply stop watching. And given the ratings of the various shows/sports where they spout this hatred of everything that I love I am not alone.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Same here. I simply stop watching. And given the ratings of the various shows/sports where they spout this hatred of everything that I love I am not alone.

Darryl
    I dont just say Good Riddance...I say #### 'em because I have zero respect for disrespect.

Everything is the fans’ fault.

Darryl
    I don’t know why athletes would be on social media if they are sensitive to public criticism. No matter what fan base it is there are always some that will direct comments at players. Unless a player is perfect and the team is perfect they are going to be criticized.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 05-02-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Funny that they love the attention and fawning by the fans but when not performing they get all thin skin. No doubt there are many cases of stupid fans posting dumb and inappropriate crap on social media, but you cant have it both ways. You cant crave the adulation and decry the criticism

Funny that they love the attention and fawning by the fans but when not performing they get all thin skin. No doubt there are many cases of stupid fans posting dumb and inappropriate crap on social media, but you cant have it both ways. You cant crave the adulation and decry the criticism
    They want the large number of followers without the criticism that’s going to come from some of those people.

For such a horrific season, I thought the criticism was rather tame for the players.

Cal certainly got hammered.... deservedly so.

Darryl

Might be premature but when all great coaches start to decline when is it premature.
    Signs are there just have to watch and pay attention but have an open mind also to realize it could be happening right before our eyes.

100%
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Might be premature but when all great coaches start to decline when is it premature.
    Signs are there just have to watch and pay attention but have an open mind also to realize it could be happening right before our eyes.

I ll b shocked if Cal sees another final four! Only if he visits

A lot of coaches hang on too long in all sports

My use of the term premature is in relation to who Cal brings in this season and only relative to this season. Whether he does or does not will find either you or I and those like us in perfect agreement.
    i personally think he fills out the roster nicely and to everyone's satisfaction. And unless I am mistaken, you believe we are in the midst of an unavoidable decline as far as being a player on the national stage, and that it will continue with Cal here. And I assume you doubt Cal is putting together a great class to replace what we have lost. That may be, but it's premature to tell.

As for the future, I was one of the very first to note such a decline a few years back, but the two years prior to this last one I was convinced to change my tune a bit as three of the last four Cal teams were solid national title contenders.
    So, I am not convinced this past season is indicative of that decline, but is more a one off, perfect storm of poor decisions, bad luck, and an extremely over-rated recruiting class which lacked a solid point guard. Also I think covid played a part in those first two.
    I see several elite programs who suffered a similar fate to I think validate that opinion. So signs are there to the contrary also.

Regardless, this past season sucked for every one of us. But the future may or may not imo.

We must each keep an open mind to both possibilities, because that's the best we can do, and the limit of what we can do as fans.
    Time will tell which is right, and our past arguments won't have any effect on that outcome.

I hope I am right, not for the sake of being right however. But because like you, I want UK to succeed and us here to be in friendly agreement and support of the program once again.

Again he is only going year to year and hoping to fill out the roster.

Get Carr and the "dilemma" is gone

I will add the Marcus Carr is and always has been my preference. Get him and Mintz back and all is good. Mintz plays the PG and SG while Carr takes the lions share of PG min. That is how it needs to be sold
    Last edited by Doc; 05-02-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Rupp's Runt

For such a horrific season, I thought the criticism was rather tame for the players.

Cal certainly got hammered.... deservedly so.

Darryl
    Yep. I liked most of the players. They just were not very good. I even liked Boston.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Again he is only going year to year and hoping to fill out the roster.
    Going forward that may be true of everyone to an extent. But the two seasons prior to the last we had good talent return and were led by two and three year players. Still, what you point to holds true for the last two seasons. So I agree.

Yet I like the direction Cal is now going much better than retaining our last class, if Mintz and Brooks return and we add an experienced point guard. It is the only possible way to turn a nine win season into a top twenty campaign or better.

If we are going to be considered one and done or two and thru, let experienced and proven players fill part of that role. And if we do, we can expect some freshman recruits to renig.

But like you and others have pointed out, keep a few guys on the roster for multiple years like Allen, Toppin, Ware, etc..
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-02-2021 at 03:58 PM.

With players making decisions every day, time will tell if UK can fill the most important spot on its roster with a player that has the mental toughness and skill set to lead John Calipari’s dribble-drive offense next season

Before that even becomes an issue, he has to coach the team to run that offense and also make them do it.

Unfortunately in this case Larry's intern needs to learn what the DDMO is and how to identify it so that if he ever actually sees it he can point and say, yup he is running the DDMO tonight.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.