Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney / Doc

Rupp's Runt

Disney / Doc

We are leaving out for Disney in 10 days! I can't wait to wear mask in 95 degree weather with a 4 and 6 year old

Doc, not sure if you are walking well enough to go. But if you happen to be there the last week of April let me know. How is the ankle?

Rupp's Runt

Disney / Doc

Or anyone else. I just know Doc goes a lot.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Re: Disney / Doc

Enjoy, Wildcat! I'd have a hard time wearing a mask all day, but if I was going to do it anywhere, WDW would be the funnest place to do it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

We are Disney People. I have 5 separate Disney Vacation Club Contracts so usually down there about 14 days per year personally and my wife and daughter closer to 30.

The masks are a pain but manageable. We have went to disposable masks. They are lighter, easier to manipulate, and disposable so when you sweat through one...or take a bite of a dole whip with your mask on you simply throw it away and put another one on.

We take breaks and sit down often. With a 2 year old I would plan on going early, going back to room and take a nap and enjoy pools for a few hours, then back to parks for evening. This allows you to be away from parks in heat of the day.

Not sure where you are staying. We chose Boardwalk or Beach Club a lot when Audrey was under 8. Allowed us to choose a park for the day and then enjoy Epcot world showcase in the evening and then walk back to room without a bus at the end of a day.

Also, in the parks, some attractions are air conditioned. For example, Philharmagic and Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom. The Disney Short Movies in Imagination pavillion in Epcot (and Soarin and Nemo). Take advantage of those breaks.

Epcot is really torn up right now for the redisign. Lots of things gone. Hollywood Studios is very busy now and getting on the Rise of the Resistance ride requires luck and logging in at 7am (actually about 30 seconds before) and securing a spot. Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom is awesome ride.

If you want to take this off line or call me about planning just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    We are Disney People. I have 5 separate Disney Vacation Club Contracts so usually down there about 14 days per year personally and my wife and daughter closer to 30.

The masks are a pain but manageable. We have went to disposable masks. They are lighter, easier to manipulate, and disposable so when you sweat through one...or take a bite of a dole whip with your mask on you simply throw it away and put another one on.

We take breaks and sit down often. With a 2 year old I would plan on going early, going back to room and take a nap and enjoy pools for a few hours, then back to parks for evening. This allows you to be away from parks in heat of the day.

Not sure where you are staying. We chose Boardwalk or Beach Club a lot when Audrey was under 8. Allowed us to choose a park for the day and then enjoy Epcot world showcase in the evening and then walk back to room without a bus at the end of a day.

Also, in the parks, some attractions are air conditioned. For example, Philharmagic and Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom. The Disney Short Movies in Imagination pavillion in Epcot (and Soarin and Nemo). Take advantage of those breaks.

Epcot is really torn up right now for the redisign. Lots of things gone. Hollywood Studios is very busy now and getting on the Rise of the Resistance ride requires luck and logging in at 7am (actually about 30 seconds before) and securing a spot. Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom is awesome ride.

If you want to take this off line or call me about planning just let me know.
    We haven't been back since 2019, but the approach we tried to take if we were going to be in the parks all day was:

--Up early and at the front of the crowd for Rope Drop;
    --Morning is for high-demand attractions before crowds (and heat) build;
    --Lunch someplace air-conditioned;
    --Afternoon, do as many air-conditioned, high-capacity attractions with as short a wait as possible (e.g. Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic in Magic Kingdom)
    --Evening, dinner someplace air-conditioned, then doing things that don't require standing in a lot of lines--shopping, catching the parade, low-demand attractions that have a short wait. You'll also see lines for some high-demand attractions coming down in the evening, so sometimes you can get on toward closing with a shorter wait.

I don't think they're using FastPass+ right now, so unfortunately you can't use that to decrease your waits.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The masks weren't fun but you deal with it, we went last summer. I've heard crowds are insane right now, but may be because they are limiting capacity. Its still Disney so can't be too bad. My wife and daughter are going in the coming months.
    Go Cats!

Crowds are pretty bad right now. By definition what I am saying is crowds are nowhere near capacity level but they are limiting the number of crowds based upon their staffing load. As also said above, there are no fast passes right now so you have to stand in line for everything. Being early for flight of passage and other high demand rides is critical. Rise of the resistance does not have a line since you have to login and try to get a slot

Rupp's Runt

You guys might as well join us!

Wife is literally tracking the lines right now and the wait times make zero sense. Splash Mtn is consistently long, I guess everyone wants to ride it before they re-theme it.

The other night Alien Saucers had a longer line than Flight of Passage, Smugglers Run, and Slinky Dog.

Just got back from CO last night. Wasnt great on the ankle but is getting better. We let our annual passes expire due to COVID. Once over likely get Busch Garden ones for a year, especially with the SECT in Tampa next year.

A few hint in addition to the ones above. If going to MGM studio, make reservations for Olga's Cantine and do it NOW. Need reservation unless very lucky. Can do thru disney app. It is a "bar" designed after the cantinas in the first star wars movie. Is A/C and lots of cool things to see. Is kid friendly. Also if you plan on riding Rise of the Resistance you need the app and be on at 7:00 AM when the virtual queue open. If you wait til 7:01 you wont get a spot..trust me.

Slinky dog is not worth the wait. Toy Story is. That is a fun ride, especially for kids.

They recently took out the Great Movie ride which I wish they had updated instead. Now is a virtual train/coaster...and pretty good (in the Chinese theater at MGM)

Any indoor rode is A/C. Buzz Lightyear is another good on at Magic Kingdom.

Splash mountain is always long but the worse is the Seven Dwarf train. Seen it up to 180 minutes. If you can catch at under 45 min, take it

Expect long line at Frozen in Epcot.

If poss and you are interested, do a character breakfast, but do the earliest available as you get park access before it opens.

One thing we do is we have a cooler backpack. Those are allowed, coolers are not. . Ice and water, Gatorade, snacks etc...but bot beer. Is great to have for instant relief from the heat while in line. If you dont go that route, get the refillable cups (assuming they still have) because unlimited refills is needed. Hydration is the key to enjoying disney
    Last edited by Doc; 04-19-2021 at 06:46 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

How strict are they with the mask on the kids? If it is under their nose will they be sending an army of men to make sure they raise it up?

Some cast member will notice and have you pull it up. It happens pretty often but they will not kick you out unless you get belligerent with them about it.

For young kids, they may find the the Disney masks "cool" and more likely to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Just got back from CO last night. Wasnt great on the ankle but is getting better. We let our annual passes expire due to COVID. Once over likely get Busch Garden ones for a year, especially with the SECT in Tampa next year.

A few hint in addition to the ones above. If going to MGM studio, make reservations for Olga's Cantine and do it NOW. Need reservation unless very lucky. Can do thru disney app. It is a "bar" designed after the cantinas in the first star wars movie. Is A/C and lots of cool things to see. Is kid friendly. Also if you plan on riding Rise of the Resistance you need the app and be on at 7:00 AM when the virtual queue open. If you wait til 7:01 you wont get a spot..trust me.

Slinky dog is not worth the wait. Toy Story is. That is a fun ride, especially for kids.

They recently took out the Great Movie ride which I wish they had updated instead. Now is a virtual train/coaster...and pretty good (in the Chinese theater at MGM)

Any indoor rode is A/C. Buzz Lightyear is another good on at Magic Kingdom.

Splash mountain is always long but the worse is the Seven Dwarf train. Seen it up to 180 minutes. If you can catch at under 45 min, take it

Expect long line at Frozen in Epcot.

If poss and you are interested, do a character breakfast, but do the earliest available as you get park access before it opens.

One thing we do is we have a cooler backpack. Those are allowed, coolers are not. . Ice and water, Gatorade, snacks etc...but bot beer. Is great to have for instant relief from the heat while in line. If you dont go that route, get the refillable cups (assuming they still have) because unlimited refills is needed. Hydration is the key to enjoying disney
    In the standby line for Splash, they've got a couple of awesome A/C vents at different points in the line. It's like found money getting under one of those vents for a minute or so, especially in the heat of the day.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-19-2021 at 10:07 AM.

I've never had to wear a cloth mask longer than about 90 minutes at a time for a meeting, and I imagine wearing it outdoors in oppressive heat can be tough for a long period of time. I wore the disposable one for a few hours at a eye hospital Saturday, and it was more comfortable than the cloth mask for a longer period of time even indoors.

Question--would one of those "mask frame" or bracket things help? It would seem like something that might help by keeping it away from your skin for hours at a time. Or is that more trouble than it's worth? Might be a gimmick. I've seen them in silicone, I think, and thought it looked like a good idea, but it could be a gimmick.

The Splash Mtn. line gets really long with Big Thunder is broken (which seems to happen for at least 2 hours every day.

7Dwarves Mine Train (7DMT) is just an ok ride. Not very long and certainly not a thrill ride. I do not understand the attraction to that ride. Give me Slinky Dog over 7 Dwarves anyday. My 2 favorite coasters in WDW are Rock and Roll Roller Coaster and then The Yeti in AK.

Seriously though, ride Flight of Passage! By far best ride in the entire Disney World and maybe best anywhere.

As Doc says, the new Mickey and Minney Run Away Railway at Hollywood studios is very good Trackless ride and kids love it. I actually enjoy it as well but I love the trackless tech part of it..but it also breaks down a bit.

The Rise of the Resistance ride is tough. Get the MyDisneyExperience App. Log in at 10 till 7. Make sure you are NOT on Disney Wifi but are using your own data. Start pounding the app at 6:59:50. 30 seconds after 7am all the reservations are gone. Its funny. I like the ride but am not blown away by it. They have created Scarcity but it is just ok. I actually like the Smugglers Run ride better.

Disney / Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I've never had to wear a cloth mask longer than about 90 minutes at a time for a meeting, and I imagine wearing it outdoors in oppressive heat can be tough for a long period of time. I wore the disposable one for a few hours at a eye hospital Saturday, and it was more comfortable than the cloth mask for a longer period of time even indoors.

Question--would one of those "mask frame" or bracket things help? It would seem like something that might help by keeping it away from your skin for hours at a time. Or is that more trouble than it's worth? Might be a gimmick. I've seen them in silicone, I think, and thought it looked like a good idea, but it could be a gimmick.
    I’ve worn the disposable masks from last March to current. Tried all kinds of cloth masks last April, never found any I like. Plus I wear glasses and everything but disposable masks fog my glasses.

I also take those small plastic coated paperclips and straighten them, and then thread them in the top where the plastic nose piece is. It makes them nice and easy to form over your nose and forms a nice seal so as not to fog glasses.

The disposable masks are nice and light and allow less labored breathing... for me anyway. Some would say they offer less protection from airborne droplets, but I have worn them for as long as 7-8 hours a day since last April and have never caught covid. I’ve also worn them in the high risk areas such as grocery stores, large gathers like funerals etc. without catching the virus.

They are light in color (light surgery blue) so they don’t absorb sunlight/heat... might be a good option... I keep a half dozen in zip locks and have them everywhere ( coat pocket, car, office, garage etc.) I might need one to change to a fresh one.

Just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Seriously though, ride Flight of Passage! By far best ride in the entire Disney World and maybe best anywhere.
    Never had the chance to ride it and I doubt I ride it this time. I normally take the youngest and go ride something she can ride. But I do look forward to it eventually. I know we can do rider swap, but I'd rather take her and go do something. She won't ride a lot of rides....so I have done Nemo 3 times in one day and a round of Turtle Talk lol But at least we both love Tough to be a Bug.

side note: she loves wearing a mask, but I don't see her loving it all day with the heat. The oldest is a little more accustomed to wearing them.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Probably too late, but I may have to check into the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Never had the chance to ride it and I doubt I ride it this time. I normally take the youngest and go ride something she can ride. But I do look forward to it eventually. I know we can do rider swap, but I'd rather take her and go do something. She won't ride a lot of rides....so I have done Nemo 3 times in one day and a round of Turtle Talk lol But at least we both love Tough to be a Bug.

side note: she loves wearing a mask, but I don't see her loving it all day with the heat. The oldest is a little more accustomed to wearing them.
    I remember that. I once had to ride the Mexican Fiesta (Don Duck ride daddy!) 8 times in a 4 hour period. A trip to the tequila bar in the pyramid helped.

Mine is now 13 and still not an adventurous rider. But seriously, consider rider swap now. There are lines everywhere without fastpass so it is a different world.

The Splash Mtn. line gets really long with Big Thunder is broken (which seems to happen for at least 2 hours every day.

7Dwarves Mine Train (7DMT) is just an ok ride. Not very long and certainly not a thrill ride. I do not understand the attraction to that ride. Give me Slinky Dog over 7 Dwarves anyday. My 2 favorite coasters in WDW are Rock and Roll Roller Coaster and then The Yeti in AK.

As Doc says, the new Mickey and Minney Run Away Railway at Hollywood studios is very good Trackless ride and kids love it. I actually enjoy it as well but I love the trackless tech part of it..but it also breaks down a bit.

The Rise of the Resistance ride is tough. Get the MyDisneyExperience App. Log in at 10 till 7. Make sure you are NOT on Disney Wifi but are using your own data. Start pounding the app at 6:59:50. 30 seconds after 7am all the reservations are gone. Its funny. I like the ride but am not blown away by it. They have created Scarcity but it is just ok. I actually like the Smugglers Run ride better.
    Rock and Roll coaster is good. As is Expedition Everest (the Yeti ride at Animal Kingdom). Bugs Life is another nice on for kids....and ACed for a good 30 min. The Avatar area is perhaps the best designed but has ridiculous wait times.

As for Rise....as VA cat says, if you are not in the queue at 7:00:10, you wont get it. He isnt joking. Me, I find the visuals of that ride spectacular. Is lots of live interaction.
    Last edited by Doc; 04-20-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

RE Mask. They DO NOT allow gaiters, it must be a mask. Do not attempt to enter with a gaiter. They will send you back to your car

Disney / Doc

https://www.tampabay.com/life-cultur...aster-in-june/

Opening at Universal in June... this looks like a hoot.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    https://www.tampabay.com/life-cultur...aster-in-june/

Opening at Universal in June... this looks like a hoot.

Never been to Uni. Since I own points at Disney and just use their transport and do not have a car just hard to spend the Extra $$$ to go over (Car and Tickets)

We had Universal passes until 2yrs ago when we switched to Disney passes so we could get early access to the Disney runs. Of course COVID cancelled the runs....

We prefer Univ to Disney. Mardi Gras at Univeral is one of our favorites. They bring in good bands for concerts (groups we have see include Heart, Belinda Carlisle, the Beach Boys, B-52's, Barenaked Ladies), and the nightly parade is great. We have ridden the float probably a dozen times. Plus the rides are more thrilling, designed for an older crowd.

But likely will get Busch Gardens later this year or next, once COVID is gone. BG being in Tampa is a bit farther, but it is paired with SeaWorld in Orlando so best of both worlds

Rupp's Runt

We preferred Universal as teenagers. However it has changed a lot and I have not been in about 22 years or more. We looked at it last year, but most rides require a taller height limit and we are not into Harry Potter. Might look into it for the next trip. I think the next trip will be a beach/Orlando mix.

Really it is a good time to drop your Disney passes. Might be worth getting it back in a few years once they get the additions completed. Epcot has lots being added and maybe Tron will be done by then as well.

Epcot will have the new Guardian of the Galaxy ride in the next 12-18 months. Also adding the Remy ride in October but that is more like the new Minnie/Mickey ride at DHS. Buy 2024 Epcot will about 50% brand new. Need to do something about the the Imagination pavillion and bring back the old Soarin or fix the new one!

Tron is progressing but slower than they originally predicted. They did attach the last piece of track a couple of months ago. The one at Shanghai looks awesome (Youtube it).

As Doc says, Universal has the trill rides most teens and adults may prefer. Disney Rides will never be that. I used to complain about that. But now as I age, the neck and back tell me I am past the true thrill ride age so Disney coasters are fine for me...and Disney Themeing cannot be topped. the only thing close is Harry Potter world at Uni and Rowling oversaw that herself.

Doc, have you ever been at Epcot Food and Wine. The Eat to the Beat Lineup is usually pretty good. Only 5 song mini sets but have 3 each night. Showing my age but seen Starship (Mickey Thomas), ELO (now the Orchestra), Plain White T's, Blue October, 38 Special, etc. Usually some pretty good bands for 2-3 nights at a time and they try to hit most demographics.

Disney is adding a Tron ride, not sure when that is opening. its over behind Space Mountain, and is a coaster.

My wife and daughter lover Food and Wine. Me, not so much. The bands they have are comparable however the venue at Epcot is not on par with Universals. Perhaps once the redo of Epicot is done, then it wll.

Mrs. BEvans and I went to Food & Wine for the first time in 2010. Weather was great (late October), crowds were low, vibe was laid back--very enjoyable.

Went again in 2013--different experience. Higher crowds, drunker crowds (on the weekends), not as enjoyable.

We like Flower & Garden Festival in the spring. Food & drink booths (albeit not as many as F&W), pretty flowers and plants, butterfly garden, etc. If I had to choose between the 2, I'm probably taking F&G.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-23-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Wife wants to do the Food and Wine festivial. I think the Flower and Garden is going on when we are there. I assume that is all spring? I expect when we are kid free (long time from now), we will do a week at Epcot. The wife loves that place. Me, not so much.

I did not know there was an old soarin

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans I went to Food & Wine for the first time in 2010. Weather was great (late October), crowds were low, vibe was laid back--very enjoyable.

Went again in 2013--different experience. Higher crowds, drunker crowds (on the weekends), not as enjoyable.

We like Flower & Garden Festival in the spring. Food & drink booths (albeit not as many as F&W), pretty flowers and plants, butterfly garden, etc. If I had to choose between the 2, I'm probably taking F&G.
    Go for Festival of the Arts one year, love it and crowd level

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans I went to Food & Wine for the first time in 2010. Weather was great (late October), crowds were low, vibe was laid back--very enjoyable.

Yes.....the Flower and Garden is nice as well. Same with Arts. All those festivals at Epcot are neat if you are more into strolling. Again, not my thing but my daughter and wife enjoy it quite a bit. I have to admit that I am not much on Epcot in general. Much prefer MK and MGM (or Holleywood) Studio's