Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: How in the world did this scam happen?

How in the world did this scam happen?

So...I opened up a small Estate account at my local bank.

Declined to have a debit card issued. It is set up to receive two deposits--one from Discover Bank Online, and one from Capital Bank Online.

Both occurred. Fine.

I wrote one check (I am the Administrator of the Estate) to one of the beneficiaries. I transferred funds out to another account in the same bank to match for the other beneficiary.

That's it. I have written a 2nd check to the beneficiary that has not cleared yet.

Except two charges to a company called Klarna, Inc. have appeared--one for $140, another for $146.

I'm the only party that has signatory (or any) authority on the account. I've never heard of the company. There are no debit cards. The account number has not been written, typed, transmitted in any shape, form or fashion anywhere. Hasn't even been written down in pencil and paper.

The checks were ones given to me by the Branch manager when I opened the account. The account was to accept 2 deposits, have 2 checks written, 2 transfers out, and then closed, all within 1 month.

Explain what happened. I don't get it. How did the scammers even get the account number to run it, and how was it authorized?

Rupp's Runt

Re: How in the world did this scam happen?

The Branch Manager is not the only one who sees these kinds of activity. Other people in the organization see this activity too. All of these banks have account processing departments.
    It all has to be recorded within the bank's organization.
    They've likely been hacked, but don't know it yet.
    Or they have a rat for an employee, but my initial thought is that they've been hacked.

I have no initial answer, but I'm going to be curious what the bank has to say about it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I am with suncat, there is a rat at the bank
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Give me that account number and I'll see what I can dig out..I mean up.

Seriously though, that sux.
    Last edited by kingcat; 02-16-2021 at 08:20 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I dropped an email to the branch manager today but the bank was closed because of weather concerns. I will let you know what they say.

Branch manager: “oh you DIDN’T want the life insurance? My bad.”

Rupp's Runt

I remember seeing others with this issue before Christmas. I think you have 60 days to file a Klarma claim.

I looked up the company, they provide short term loans at checkout for people, sort of a credit card without being a credit card kind of thing.

So I presume someone bought items with Klarna and then paid them with that account. Depending on how bad their security is for setting up ACH maybe people are putting in random numbers for a given routing number and doing it that way. I would hope that wouldn't work, but you never know.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

One other option: the beneficiary. They would have gotten a check with the account number and routing number, and they likely know the name on the account. Seems very unlikely, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    One other option: the beneficiary. They would have gotten a check with the account number and routing number, and they likely know the name on the account. Seems very unlikely, but possible.
    Or the second beneficiary got the bank info from the first.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Or the second beneficiary got the bank info from the first.
    Possible.

I would think the bank could reach to that company and find out who is on that account. If it's a beneficiary they will likely have used their name or someone they know, versus a blind scam with an unrelated or fake name.

I'm going to be curious to see what the bank says and does.

Oh, this one is incredibly easy.

It's my father's estate. He had two assets that were not with a beneficiary designation. Beneficiary # 1 is my brother, I'm beneficiary #2 (and Administrator of the Estate). 100% something within the bank unrelated to anyone else.

Fraud claims still being investigated.

Well, you are a lawyer. Maybe you compartmentalized and don't know you did it....

I admit I'm keenly interested in how this worked. Other than random plugging in of numbers to a vendor that is obviously not very scrupulous or someone in the bank chain of information it's hard to figure an option.

Are the charges on different dates? 100£ equals almost exactly $140 so it’s like two £100 charges instead of the odd $140 amounts.
    changing my signature to change our luck.