Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess what's causing the allergic type reaction?

Re: Guess what's causing the allergic type reaction?

Is this a different brand thing you have purchased before? The reaction could be to the packaging versus the oats themselves

Guess what's causing the allergic type reaction?

Nope. Same brand. Wish it were different.

Rupp's Runt

Just a couple of thoughts.

When I have had to do elimination diets, I had to eliminate everything for 14 days before reintroducing them to my body.

Also, don't rule out a virus. Sounds odd I know. But my youngest has a rash that kept coming back that was a virus.

Dumb idea. Do a scratch test? Not sure how you'd do that for steel cut oats, but just a thought.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I actually have been planning to go to an allergist anyway, so this will be a good excuse to do so. I'm gonna wait about a month and then make an appointment. By then I will have both of my Covid vaccinations. I never like going to doctors offices anyway. Seems to be filled with sick people.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts.

When I have had to do elimination diets, I had to eliminate everything for 14 days before reintroducing them to my body.

Also, don't rule out a virus. Sounds odd I know. But my youngest has a rash that kept coming back that was a virus.
    You're right, my little test certainly isn't enough to be definitive. I'm either going to try again, or go see a doctor anyway. I don't have an EpiPen at home anyway and need to get a new prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I actually have been planning to go to an allergist anyway, so this will be a good excuse to do so. I'm gonna wait about a month and then make an appointment. By then I will have both of my Covid vaccinations. I never like going to doctors offices anyway. Seems to be filled with sick people.
    lol. I have a few minor maladies I need to go to the doctor for, but avoiding it with all of this going on right now. Had my first shot today, so like you in a month or so I'll go and try to get them addressed. I think its' 10 day so after the 2nd shot for safety margin.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Nope. Same brand. Wish it were different.
    If all of the allergic reactions have come with that specific container of oats it may have been subjected to something that caused the reaction. Grains are subject to all manner of particulates, including some stuff like mold spores. Grains are subject to bugs as well.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4175102AArKCjL

Any update?

No other reactions after stopped with the oats.

I may return to them or like Keith suggests, another batch of them, but not for awhile. I'll probably get an allergy test after my 2nd Covid vaccination and that may guide me further.

Rupp's Runt

I'd definitely toss those out to be safe.

Slight update.

I had a handful of peanuts the other day, and had a little rash break out. Nothing awful, but peculiar since I had the same reaction to the oatmeal.

So, I ate a Nature Valley sweet and salty peanut granola bar a few minutes ago. Again, a slight rash and itching. You probably can't tell it on these photos, but I'm including my wrists here.

Now, there shouldn't have been any peanuts or peanut butter or anything like that in the steel cut oats container. I always use a clean spoon for it. But it really makes me wonder.

Regardless, that container of oats was tossed. I will try it again.

I guess need to get an allergy test. This isn't bad, but annoying.

When I was little I was very sick in the 1st and 2nd grade. Had pneumonia and missed 46 days first year (should've been held back but my parents helped me catch up), 21 my 2nd year.

Finally they took me to an allergist--tough to find one back then where we lived. I remember my parents driving us to Columbus, OH. I had no food allergies, thankfully. But I was allergic to several other things, so I had to take shots for about 5 years. Eventually I started to grow out of them.

I had a cousin who was deathly allergic to peanuts. She carried an epi pen. Scary stuff.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-09-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

When I was a kid in Hopkinsville, I had to get two allergy shots a week. Was allergic to grass, dust and some bacteria. No food allergies. Outgrew that allergy over time.

When I was 25, I had the anaphylaxis reaction to shrimp. Have had fairly serious issues with it from time to time just touching it over the years. My oldest son was 16 and we ended up in an ER in Destin from him eating shrimp, so he inherited the allergy.

This is something new, apparently, although I've had "issues" with things like sunflower seeds, sunflower oil, that kind of thing. More of an intolerance than an allergy, I understand. Nothing serious.

Time to go see the man.

Rupp's Runt

When I was a kid in Hopkinsville.
    This is always seems so odd to me when you mention living in Hopkinsville.

This is always seems so odd to me when you mention living in Hopkinsville.
    It's been a very long time, to be sure. I'd love to come back and visit. I will someday.

EDIT...I often speak of Hopkinsville during my classes. I talk about how my Mom and Dad couldn't afford it, but bought the World Book Encyclopedia when I was growing up there when I talk about the door-to-door 3-day cooling off period. I talk about Hoptown clothing, that sponsored the Little League team I played on. I talk about Cub Scouts, Holiday Park Elementary School, and a lot more. Not every day or anything, but a couple of times a semester, it will come up somehow. Obviously left an indelible mark on me.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 03-09-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Rupp's Runt

It's been a very long time, to be sure. I'd love to come back and visit. I will someday.
    Let me know when you do. I'll buy lunch.

Edit: No seafood. We both might end up in the ER
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 03-09-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Let me know when you do. I'll buy lunch.

Edit: No seafood. We both might end up in the ER
    Will do. I'm good with a burger or anything. Not many foods I don't like, but a few that seem to have a problem with me (and you too!)

Darrell, very possible the oats were cross contaminated with other nut or similar byproducts, or it came from the container. But lots of facilities process more than one food item, so definitely possible.

Good point, Chuck. That is not something I thought about, but it could be.

I'm in the virtual waiting room for a video appointment with my doctor now. I have to see him before I can be referred to an allergy doctor for a test, so I'm going to try and do it right.

OK, I had my virtual doc appointment...went fine, and have my referral. They'll call me and I'll schedule an appointment.