Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess what's causing the allergic type reaction?

Guess what's causing the allergic type reaction?

I have had an allergic reaction (or something) of some sort on my wrist and my lips 2 of the last 3 days. Temporary swelling of lip, rash that goes away in a couple of hours.

Trying to isolate it, these are the things that could have caused it.

1. Steel cut oats
    2. Honey (processed, from a bottle)
    3. Crunchy peanut butter
    4. Black coffee from coffee beans, 7AM coffee
    5. Liquid soap.

I really don't think it could be anything else. Not wearing a watch. Wife hasn't changed laundry detergent. Not wearing anything new.

Now, 1-3 I have eaten every day for at least two months. The honey is from a bottle that is almost empty. Same for the Oats and peanut butter, actually.

4 I've been drinking for about 2 weeks or so.

5 is a new, non-antibacterial brand with a citrus smell. Although now that I think of it, I may have also used an anti-bacterial liquid soap too (I don't like to use them regularly, but wife and daughter do, so it is in one bathroom, and two different kinds are in my bathroom.

It has appeared after eating brunch (I slip breakfast and eat that for lunch, so whatever you want to call it), and before I've eaten anything else. But not necessarily immediately thereafter, just before I've eaten anything else.

I'm going to try to figure this out, but anybody want to guess on what it is (or possibly, that it isn't repeated and I never find out?)

Mask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Guess what's causing the allergic type reaction?

Since the soap is the only new thing, I will go soap.

Is it an artificial citrus scent?

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Mask?

Nope. Not at home. Don't go chasing rainbows. Telling you, that's all that I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Since the soap is the only new thing, I will go soap.

Is it an artificial citrus scent?
    It is (at least as far as I know).

Softsoap brand.

I'm going to start daily testing by only having one of the factors and then move to the next day. Probably start with a day of using that soap and not eating anything on the list, so we may find out quickly!

One other piece of information that may or may not be relevant. I do have what I call a food intolerance to sunflower seeds and sunflower oil. My wife asked me if I had any Sun chips (I don't know if that has any in it or not), but I haven't.

I only mention that in case somebody thinks the crunchy peanut butter (even though I've eaten it my whole life) could be related to it somehow in a nut family kinda way.

Just to eliminate other possibilities... The only thing I've been wearing at the time are short sleeve polo shirts I've worn several times, and I khaki pants that I've had for a couple of years. Worked at home one day, the other day is today. Not even any socks or shoes.

Very few variables.

Same toothpaste, deodorant, and same eyedrops I take every day.

Rupp's Runt

Are you eating the soap? If so, I'm going with soap.

In all seriousness, I've been wondering lately if a certain soap or sanitizer is causing my girls hands to get red.

Sounds like you need to switch lipstick brands.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Sounds like you need to switch lipstick brands.
    No, same as alw... Ugh, I mean, no that's not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post

In all seriousness, I've been wondering lately if a certain soap or sanitizer is causing my girls hands to get red.
    I dunno. It's puzzling. I am hopeful it replicates as I introduce just one of those items daily.

What about lip balm/ chapstik etc.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

What about lip balm/ chapstik etc.

That's a great guess, but haven't used any this week. I could definitely see that.

I get welts on my arm that look allergy related when my skin gets too dry.

In all seriousness, I had to stop using Bounce sheets in the dryer as they were causing contact dermatitis. Liquid fabric softener is fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I get welts on my arm that look allergy related when my skin gets too dry.
    That's another really interesting thought. My skin is very dry this winter. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    In all seriousness, I had to stop using Bounce sheets in the dryer as they were causing contact dermatitis. Liquid fabric softener is fine though.
    Wife has used bounce sheets for many years. I guess there isn't much I can rule out, though, if it's not the liquid soap, because I can't think of anything else new.

Sometimes mfg change formulas on things.

Or, you could have a bug bite and not even realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Sometimes mfg change formulas on things.

Or, you could have a bug bite and not even realize it.
    In a way, I hope it is this. As you can tell, I'm a little like Nick Saban. Well, VERY little, probably. But he eats the same thing for breakfast and lunch. As long as I'm working from home or home for lunchtime, I like to do the same, so I really hope it's not a food allergen or intolerance.

If it's the soap, that's fine. My wife laughs at me because I like bars of soap to use for handwashing while she likes liquid soap. She inadvertently bought some liquid soap that is not anti-bacterial, and since she likes the anti-bacterial soap, and I don't, I told her I'd use it. But I'd be happy to have that be the culprit.

Anything else would result in some change needed. So a surreptitious bug bite would work fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post

Hand sanitizer will definitely dry out your skin. That is why I keep a bottle of Cornhusker's on my desk...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Hand sanitizer will definitely dry out your skin. That is why I keep a bottle of Cornhusker's on my desk...
    Another good point. I have hand sanitizer pump on my desk, in my car, in my office, etc. and use it after going inside the post office, going to the store, handling a cart, handling a gas pump, etc.

Monday, Day 1: I did not eat any of the potential offending food products, but continue to wash my hands with only the liquid Softsoap. No reaction.

Tuesday, Day 2: I ate one spoonful of crunchy peanut butter, which is what goes into the lunch oatmeal I normally have. I did not eat the oatmeal or have any honey, and I did not wash my hands with liquid soft soap. No reaction.

I haven't commented here yet, but I'm really keen to find out what is happening. Not as keen as you are, but I have no good guesses. Process of elimination as you are doing seems the only sound option.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Wednesday, Day 3: Preparing Steel cut oats now, no peanut butter, no honey. No liquid Softsoap today. Will check back and edit with results.

Edit... Hmm. Slight rash and hives, both wrists.

I guess it's the oats. That's disappointing. They are organic, the only ingredient in there. I may try again in a few days, but crap.

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 02-10-2021 at 01:48 PM.

It might not necessarily be anything new or different. Sensitivity to different things can change with age.

That’s odd, it seems like oats would be an ingredient in other things like snack/breakfast bars and other things... do they cause an issue.

That’s odd, it seems like oats would be an ingredient in other things like snack/breakfast bars and other things... do they cause an issue.

Doubt I eat anything like that, but also remember that I've eaten this for a long time before having any reaction either.

Many years ago, I ended a date with my (now) wife with her driving me to the emergency room of a hospital in New Orleans. I had a seafood dish with shrimp in it, which I had eaten all my life. Having a severe anaphylaxis reaction will get your attention.

Growing up, I had shrimp at least once a week as my Mom would include that in my school lunch. Anyway, apparently that's how it affects some people. You can not be affected and then wham.

I was 25 when that occurred. Now deathly allergic. Can't even touch anything where shrimp has touched a surface. Just stupid stuff like that.

I hate this because that was my every day, work at home lunch go to. I'm going to wait about a month and try it again. It's not a horrible reaction, just annoying.

Annoying and potentially dangerous given your history with reactions.

Rupp's Runt

Man, that stinks if it is the oats. Wow.
    And they're supposed to be good for you. 😳