Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: General COVID vaccination thread

Bombino

General COVID vaccination thread

Absolutely great news about the Pfizer vaccine from the population-scale Israeli study. 97% effective at preventing severe COVID and more importantly 94% effective at preventing infection period!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/pfiz...eli-study.html

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Re: General COVID vaccination thread

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

1. Glad I got Pfizer given that info.

2. Time to move to Israel. They seem to get things done there. Us not so much.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Got scheduled for my first shot next Friday at the Horse Park. I got tired of navigating the various sites doing this in Kentucky and trying to get an appointment close to Louisville. I’m still in the system with several but it seems like the appts. get snapped up a lot faster around here and I’m not quite 60 yet so it kept booting me out.

If one notifies me of a closer appt before Friday I’ll probably take it but I’m very doubtful that happens and I’m pretty sure this one is the Pfizer anyway since it scheduled the second shot three weeks later.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    1. Glad I got Pfizer given that info.

2. Time to move to Israel. They seem to get things done there. Us not so much.
    1. Honestly, due to how similar they are, I would be VERY VERY surprised if the Moderna vaccine isn't just as effective. In fact, a contact of mine at Pfizer (who is in a different division) basically said that is how they view things internally as well.

2. Israel has a private/public socialized-base medical system. Much like the systems in many countries where people can improve the offerings by an add-on private insurance plan, the base is 100% socialized and 100% mandatory. This combined with the fact that they are very pro-data as a population, means they were able to negotiate good deals with Pfizer. They basically said to Pfizer, give us a good deal and we will provide you with 100% of the population level data from the vaccination program. This then drove them to rapidly roll out the vaccine to their entire populace.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 03-12-2021 at 12:15 PM.

My wife has an appointment for a Moderna vaccination next week. That will make 3 Moderna, 4 Pfizer in my family.

We got poked for the 2nd time yesterday. When we got the first shot couple of weeks ago, it was walk in, register, walk to the needle, get poked, rest for 15 mins and leave. Yesterday was a bit different. From arrival to departure it was a 95 minute process. Kroger location in BG was a busy place yesterday. Neither the wife or I have any negative symptoms today. My arm is a bit sore at the inoculation site, and my wife was really complaining about that this morning. First poke I did not even have this soreness, and I expect it to be gone tomorrow.

Gitter DUN
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    We got poked for the 2nd time yesterday. When we got the first shot couple of weeks ago, it was walk in, register, walk to the needle, get poked, rest for 15 mins and leave. Yesterday was a bit different. From arrival to departure it was a 95 minute process. Kroger location in BG was a busy place yesterday. Neither the wife or I have any negative symptoms today. My arm is a bit sore at the inoculation site, and my wife was really complaining about that this morning. First poke I did not even have this soreness, and I expect it to be gone tomorrow.

Gitter DUN
    Congrats Dan! Might be back in KY later this year, would be good to meet with some of the people on here.

The wife had her 2nd shot yesterday as well. Unfortunately for her, this is the sickest I have ever seen her. She was running a moderate fever this morning, achey as all getout, could barely move. She has a high pain threshold (far higher than me) and is stubborn as a mule (just like me), so when its enough for her to ask me to help her I know she's in a bad way. Got some food in her and she is feeling less feverish, but yeah it definitely hits some a LOT worse than others.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

Gitter DUN
    Congrats!! I’m two weeks out for my second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Congrats Dan! Might be back in KY later this year, would be good to meet with some of the people on here.

The wife had her 2nd shot yesterday as well. Unfortunately for her, this is the sickest I have ever seen her. She was running a moderate fever this morning, achey as all getout, could barely move. She has a high pain threshold (far higher than me) and is stubborn as a mule (just like me), so when its enough for her to ask me to help her I know she's in a bad way. Got some food in her and she is feeling less feverish, but yeah it definitely hits some a LOT worse than others.
    Sorry to hear it's hit her so hard. I was worried, got a sort of general "blah" feeling, tired, but otherwise fine. Was able to function normally. GF had bad headache, really tired, about a day and then fine.

Hopefully it passes quick.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Sorry to hear it's hit her so hard. I was worried, got a sort of general "blah" feeling, tired, but otherwise fine. Was able to function normally. GF had bad headache, really tired, about a day and then fine.

Hopefully it passes quick.
    Thankfully it did. Friday was outright miserable for her but by Saturday morning was feeling notably better, mostly just mild aches and a bit of soreness. There are some signs that women develop more/worse symptoms than men but nobody knows why.

Anyways, now the two week wait until she has full immunity.

They think women mount stronger immune responses to vaccines.

Got my first shot (Pfizer) today around 12:30. So far I can’t even tell I got a shot.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

My first appointment is scheduled for 9:15 on 03/30/2021 at Broadbent Arena. Could have had it a week earlier but I am scheduled for my yearly physical on 03/23/2021...
    Grammy gets her first on 03/25/2021...
    Our 20 year old granddaughter will have received both vaccinations by the time we get our first...a UofL student who works in childcare...I think she got the Pfizer version and other than the additional digits on her hands she has not shown any ill side effects...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    My first appointment is scheduled for 9:15 on 03/30/2021 at Broadbent Arena. Could have had it a week earlier but I am scheduled for my yearly physical on 03/23/2021...
    Grammy gets her first on 03/25/2021...
    Our 20 year old granddaughter will have received both vaccinations by the time we get our first...a UofL student who works in childcare...I think she got the Pfizer version and other than the additional digits on her hands she has not shown any ill side effects...

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Fab Five

Got my second vaccine on st. patrick’s day. Went early due to pending bad weather in the area. Not only did they take me early it was a much speedier process than the first time. 21 minutes in and out the door and that included the mandatory 15 minute post injection waiting period. I was impressed.
    Real Fan since 1958

Went to a restaurant for the first time in a year. Was an OK experience.

I can tell you this, the Administration and CDC had better rethink their guidelines on the vaccinated, b/c this dam is breaking fast. People are done sitting at home.

Received my second dose of Moderna's Best today at 2:45. YAY!

I was unable to tell the difference between a typical bad PsA flareup and the J&J shot aftermath, except for a day feeling like I had 40 lbs of lead long johns on. I usually flare after any flu shot or other inoculation.

Seems like it took.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Seems like it took.
    That is great news!

As an aside, I wish they would do a better job in their explanation of the result. This terminology is borrowed from other assays they perform on blood donations (namely HIV and Hepatitis).

Positive - reactive result for antibodies against BOTH the spike protein and the capsid.
    Reactive - reactive result for antibodies against the spike protein but non-reactive result for antibodies against the capsid, most likely caused by vaccination.
    Negative - non-reactive result for antibodies against the spike protein (capsid antibody test is not performed).

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    That is great news!

As an aside, I wish they would do a better job in their explanation of the result. This terminology is borrowed from other assays they perform on blood donations (namely HIV and Hepatitis).

Positive - reactive result for antibodies against BOTH the spike protein and the capsid.
    Reactive - reactive result for antibodies against the spike protein but non-reactive result for antibodies against the capsid, most likely caused by vaccination.
    Negative - non-reactive result for antibodies against the spike protein (capsid antibody test is not performed).
    Pedro, I may be confused, but isn't that exactly what they said? I thought it was exactly what you just said.

Reactive explanation reproduced below.

20-year old son got his first vaccination today (Pfizer) in Mississippi.

I get round two on Sunday. I’m trying to stay away from folks, wearing double masks, and mowing through hand sanitizer to make it clean the next three days.

Ms boss, got her first dose last week. She got backed up after coming down with the virus which was three days before her first shot was originally scheduled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Pedro, I may be confused, but isn't that exactly what they said? I thought it was exactly what you just said.

Reactive explanation reproduced below.

It did but in a VERY obtuse and round-about manner. Why are they talking about their testing protocols before they tell you what the result means? For someone well-educated (like yourself or myself) it is easy to parse, but for non-educated and/or elderly donors this is a nightmare paragraph.

Sorry, this is an aside and a big issue I am dealing with at my company right now; ensuring that verbiage is clear, concise, and accurate.

Something like "you tested positive for the vaccine antibodies, but negative for the virus" sounds simple enough.

Bombino

Something like "you tested positive for the vaccine antibodies, but negative for the virus" sounds simple enough.
    Exactly!! Or even just: "Reactive - Reactive results are most often caused by the vaccine or incomplete testing." Then go into their whole talk about anti-spike protein antibody testing versus testing for antibodies against the rest of the virus. Don't burry the lede in a way that causes alarm when it isn't necessary.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 03-25-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Grammy got the Pfizer and other than being overly cranky have not noticed any side effects...the location where she received the inoculation smelled like poop, and Grammy has a very keen sense of smell...
    Said they gave her a packet of things to do and avoid and one of them was absolutely no cooking for two days and under no circumstance to be around sausage gravy and biscuits. I asked to see that pamphlet, but she has it put up and will show it to me on Sunday morning. Not sure if I am buying that ...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Grammy got the Pfizer and other than being overly cranky have not noticed any side effects...the location where she received the inoculation smelled like poop, and Grammy has a very keen sense of smell...
    Said they gave her a packet of things to do and avoid and one of them was absolutely no cooking for two days and under no circumstance to be around sausage gravy and biscuits. I asked to see that pamphlet, but she has it put up and will show it to me on Sunday morning. Not sure if I am buying that ...
    Best do what Grammy says. The CDC knows what they’re doing.

Update on Grammy: in all seriousness, the only side effect she is exhibiting so far is extreme tenderness in the muscle where she received the injection. Hasn't slowed her down one iota and she feels no lethargy or other symptoms.
    Like she was saying this morning, a small price to pay to possibly beat back this horrible disease...