Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: General COVID vaccination thread

Re: General COVID vaccination thread

I just want to say thank you to PedroDaGr8 for being so generous with his knowledge and expertise over the years on many subjects.
    Thank you, brother,

Cliff Ambrose, Jr.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Thanks, guys. Looks like it will be safe for me to take when it is available. My folks, aged 80 and 84, are currently on the waiting list and haven’t been contacted about when they can receive their vaccines yet, simI’m probably in for a wait.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    I just want to say thank you to PedroDaGr8 for being so generous with his knowledge and expertise over the years on many subjects.
    Thank you, brother,

Cliff Ambrose, Jr.
    +1. Thanks Pedro!
    Real Fan since 1958

Yes thanks Pedro!

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    The good news for me: For some reason those in the legal profession are defined as "other essential workers," and our sign-up window opens 1 Feb.

The bad news: the waiting list in my area is already about 40,000 people long and they estimate it will take "months" to vaccinate that group in my area.

https://www.wave3.com/2021/01/20/wai...rs-louisville/
    First state regional vaccination site opening at the Horse Park.

Also delaying the start of Group 1C, for obvious reasons (still 400,000 in Groups 1A and 1B to vaccinate).

https://www.fox19.com/2021/01/28/liv...tegy-kentucky/
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I'm in Group 2, so I'm even less happy about these delays.

Thinking of seeing if the guy I know who bootlegged booze to Centre college back in the day has any connections....
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Thank you, brother,

Cliff Ambrose, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    +1. Thanks Pedro!
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Yes thanks Pedro!
    All of you are very welcome! I am glad to be able to help where I can.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    And here's an article that distinguishes both Pfizer and Moderna's Covid-19 vaccines from the egg-formulated flu shots.

(I wasn't going to post until you posted because it's a news story rather than a definitive source, but I feel comfortable with it in light of your explanation).

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/he...d-f5e63dcd306e
    https://blog.jonasneubert.com/2021/0...d-19-vaccines/

This blog post actually does a good job of digging a deeper into the manufacturing process and what each component does.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm in Group 2, so I'm even less happy about these delays.

Thinking of seeing if the guy I know who bootlegged booze to Centre college back in the day has any connections....
    SUPPOSEDLY we're going to be moving into Phase 1b next month (Feb. 8). We're so slow on this. But the good news for me (I think) is that they announced they're including community college and college in it. We'll see if my lowly status as an adjunct vaults me to that level or not.

(Edit--I should add that we're in Phase 1a now...which is the 2nd phase. I don't know why they didn't just number the Phases like that....1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Instead, our Phases are Phase 1, Phase 1a is 2nd, Phase 1b is 3rd, Phase 1c is 4th, and the 5th and final phase is Phase 2.)
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 01-29-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Bombino

SUPPOSEDLY we're going to be moving into Phase 1b next month (Feb. 8). We're so slow on this. But the good news for me (I think) is that they announced they're including community college and college in it. We'll see if my lowly status as an adjunct vaults me to that level or not.

(Edit--I should add that we're in Phase 1a now...which is the 2nd phase. I don't know why they didn't just number the Phases like that....1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Instead, our Phases are Phase 1, Phase 1a is 2nd, Phase 1b is 3rd, Phase 1c is 4th, and the 5th and final phase is Phase 2.)
    That is crazy.

Here, they initially split everything into three phases. From there, based on deliveries, they split up phase 1 into Phase 1a, 1b, 1c based on risk and supplies.

General COVID vaccination thread

Fwiw, we are 50th in vaccinations (at least according to one article I read), and as of this moment, # 1 in the nation in positivity rate at 35%.

(Some, or a lot of that has to do with how we calculate positivity rate. We are one of 4 states that report based on individuals, rather than number of tests. Some individuals are being tested multiple times, but that goes as only 1 tested individual, rather than multiple tests, in our calculations. But still...)

I hope this isn't sidetracking the thread. It's very much related.

This is why I am looking forward to being vaccinated as soon as possible.

This photo is from LAST NIGHT, in Homewood. It's a neat little bar near Samford University, where I sometimes teach. Where Kentucky's softball team opens up their season in less than 2 weeks.

I still can’t understand why people with high risk chronic conditions haven’t been selected for vaccination. Unless you’re 70 or older ailments like COPD, emphysema, heart conditions, etc. are still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I still can’t understand why people with high risk chronic conditions haven’t been selected for vaccination. Unless you’re 70 or older ailments like COPD, emphysema, heart conditions, etc. are still waiting.

Bc none of our leaders, of any political ilk, have any operational or common sense.

We had a year to get everyone assigned to a group and signed up and ready. Then when the vaccines arrive we call up those people in that order.

It's pretty simple, but we're still figuring out where and how to vaccinate and have no idea how to actually communicate that to people. If we had started doing so a year ago we'd be ready.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bc none of our leaders, of any political ilk, have any operational or common sense.

We had a year to get everyone assigned to a group and signed up and ready. Then when the vaccines arrive we call up those people in that order.

It's pretty simple, but we're still figuring out where and how to vaccinate and have no idea how to actually communicate that to people. If we had started doing so a year ago we'd be ready.
    For those with preexisting medical issues that make them high risk of death if they contract covid should be able to get a voucher (Dr Note) from their Dr that would put them in with the earliest of groups getting vaccinated.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Yayyy! Wife got signed up today, first round 2/20.

Bombino

The administration didn't help things one bit, it is really hard to plan a detailed roll-out when nobody is giving you a delivery schedule. That being said, it is still inexcusable that the ground work was not taken care of. I don't know of a single state that did it properly and this is something they didn't need to wait for.

People should have been given numbers based on risk (including Dr's input) and assigned times to get vaccinated. You miss it, you get reslotted way later in line. Here, many of the sites are doing online scheduling for vaccines. That works great for people roughly our age and younger (the fewer people I have to deal with the better), not so much for a large number of 70+ year olds. Thankfully, my state has now implemented a phone service which is addressing this issue. That should have been thought about from the get go, not done as a reactionary response.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Yayyy! Wife got signed up today, first round 2/20.

Congrats!
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 02-02-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Fab Five

My county is not taking any 1st dose candidates. I registered in a county an hour’s drive from my house. My appointment is for March 23. ��
    Real Fan since 1958

Kentucky is running >100% vaccine utilization and has been for 4 straight weeks. Overall utilization up to 86% after a bad first 2 weeks.

Capture 2-2-21.jpg

https://www.fox19.com/2021/02/01/liv...lout-kentucky/
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 02-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    The administration didn't help things one bit, it is really hard to plan a detailed roll-out when nobody is giving you a delivery schedule. That being said, it is still inexcusable that the ground work was not taken care of. I don't know of a single state that did it properly and this is something they didn't need to wait for.

People should have been given numbers based on risk (including Dr's input) and assigned times to get vaccinated. You miss it, you get reslotted way later in line. Here, many of the sites are doing online scheduling for vaccines. That works great for people roughly our age and younger (the fewer people I have to deal with the better), not so much for a large number of 70+ year olds. Thankfully, my state has now implemented a phone service which is addressing this issue. That should have been thought about from the get go, not done as a reactionary response.

Congrats!
    A delivery schedule would be nice, but we seem to agree that it isn't a requirement to have done the advance work.

We knew early on what the basic priorities would need to be for a vaccine, who would need to get it in what order.

We needed to start the signup drive by May of last year, but even with setting up software, etc. say June or July. That's still 6 months minimum we should have been getting everyone on a list in either a pool or with a specific number so we have everyone ready to go.

Then as sites are set up we would have the names and contact info of the people, and we could get them assigned and ready. We could then connect to specific dates as sites become active.

And yes you run it like the Berlin Airlift, where if someone misses their slot you keep right on going, and they get worked back in the queue.

I signed up for Warren Co. KY yesterday. Gave the tool my name, address, email address, cell phone number, age and sex. Hit enter and it told me I would be notified via email and text message when I had been assigned a date for vaccination.

It did not ask me any questions about my health or preexisting conditions. I guess they are not taking into consideration, that I have 4 heart bypasses, 8 vascular bypasses, and some lung issues that are not fatal, but do put me at risk if I am afflicted with pneumonia again.

It did not indicate a date range for my vaccination. I could be notified in 2 weeks or 4 months.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I signed up for Warren Co. KY yesterday. Gave the tool my name, address, email address, cell phone number, age and sex. Hit enter and it told me I would be notified via email and text message when I had been assigned a date for vaccination.

It did not ask me any questions about my health or preexisting conditions. I guess they are not taking into consideration, that I have 4 heart bypasses, 8 vascular bypasses, and some lung issues that are not fatal, but do put me at risk if I am afflicted with pneumonia again.

It did not indicate a date range for my vaccination. I could be notified in 2 weeks or 4 months.
    My doctor who is affiliated with Baptist East told me they have no plan going forward and his advice is to try every Avenue to get the shot elsewhere than around here. Said it will be a cluster from here on.
    Last edited by kingcat; 02-02-2021 at 03:34 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

All these Covid precautions seem to be doing wonders for flu prevalence this winter:

Capture 2-4-21.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Maybe we can keep masking during flu season? (Crazy thought, I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    All these Covid precautions seem to be doing wonders for flu prevalence this winter:

Capture 2-4-21.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Maybe we can keep masking during flu season? (Crazy thought, I know.)
    I will continue to mask for years after this in some situations. I like it. It really helps when I need some quick cash at a convenie... Wait, forget I said that.

Seriously, I haven't had as much as a sniffle this year, and I really like that. I do see me wearing a mask after this is over on occasion, and maybe, on regular occasion. But I will look forward to not wearing one much of the time as well.

We just need to adopt the Japanese model of social customs, and the person who is sick wears a mask.

In Japan if you're well you don't wear one, even in flu season (pre Covid), but if you are sick you DO wear one and you are careful about touching things, spraying germs, etc. as a matter of being polite to others.

If we could do that it would dramatically reduce the infection rate without having to inconvenience people or have everyone wearing them.

We just need to adopt the Japanese model of social customs, and the person who is sick wears a mask.

In Japan if you're well you don't wear one, even in flu season (pre Covid), but if you are sick you DO wear one and you are careful about touching things, spraying germs, etc. as a matter of being polite to others.

If we could do that it would dramatically reduce the infection rate without having to inconvenience people or have everyone wearing them.
    That would be golden. What do you think the chances are of us adopting that custom? I mean, there are always going to be outliers, but I'd sign up for that deal in a heartbeat, and most of my friends would as well, I'm sure.

Bombino

In general in Asia, "everyone" wears one in public during cold/flu season. If you are sick, you wear it in more private settings too irrespective of the season. It isn't perfect but it CERTAINLY helps.

That would be golden. What do you think the chances are of us adopting that custom? I mean, there are always going to be outliers, but I'd sign up for that deal in a heartbeat, and most of my friends would as well, I'm sure.
    Considering how politicized wearing masks became. Unfortunately, not likely. I intend to wear my mask during flu season in the future but I know others NEVER will.

I know South Korea came around to it more, but from what I read it was mostly from SARS/MERS and is still done on an as needed basis versus all the time.

From what I understand use by the non-sick in Japan is sporadic during cold/flu season there, or was and may have grown as my data is old, but obviously now I'm betting will be even more embraced.

Here I think we just shoot for simple: if you feel a cold or flu coming on then wear a mask. Obviously not as strong as everyone wearing one all the time, but would make a huge difference and only impact those who are actually ill at that time, which is a much more American way to do things.

During Andy's afternoon state of the virus program he announced that Kroger locations were accepting applications for vaccine inoculation appointments. My wife signed us both up for one day next week. I assume that they will take appointments until they run out of shots.

website to register for appointment is

kroger.com/covid vaccine
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I tried earlier, will try again at midnight. When did she sign up? One of my staff got in about 6am.