Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: General COVID vaccination thread

Re: General COVID vaccination thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Flounder, get better real quick, brother! There is no other option.

Pedro, thanks for the info.
    Ditto that.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Thanks guys. Just got a monoclonal antibody called regen-cov so we’ll see how this goes

Excellent! Monoclonal treatment should be our go-to. My cancer doc was also telling me to hang in there in the bubble until the pill (from Pfizer or AZ?) gets approval. My doc is a professor at The University of Texas’ MD Anderson, one of the mostest cancer treatment hospitals in the world. Monoclonal antibodies and the up coming pill are not some conspiracy to reduce the importance of getting the vaccine. Get the shots too!
    Last edited by bigsky; 12-05-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I did get both Pfizer vaccines. No booster yet but maybe in 90 days after this treatment.

I was sure you had. I’m glad you are doing all you can and hope you recover soon.

Bombino

General COVID vaccination thread

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Excellent! Monoclonal treatment should be our go-to. My cancer doc was also telling me to hang in there in the bubble until the pill (from Pfizer or AZ?) gets approval. My doc is a professor at The University of Texas’ MD Anderson, one of the mostest cancer treatment hospitals in the world. Monoclonal antibodies and the up coming pill are not some conspiracy to reduce the importance of getting the vaccine. Get the shots too!
    Thought you might find this interesting. The FDA just issued an EUA for long-lasting monoclonal antibodies for the prevention of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Intended for those who do not make their own antibodies or can't get vaccinated, the antibodies have been designed to not break down as quickly, providing protection in immunocompromised individuals for up to 6 mo. Honestly, this is a HUGE deal for a number of people who had no means of adequate protection before.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...s-pre-exposure
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 12-09-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Got the moderna booster today, arm is sore but feel ok otherwise. I had the j&j one hit wonder the first time. Had the actual og covid before that. May go get the Pfizer next America’s follow it up with the monoclonal antibodies as a cherry on top. Why not I could use a third leg.

Also, our school board voted to do away with the mask mandate that was inacted last week, they felt with availability of vaccines and negative impact on kids enough was enough. We have a test to stay program for kids that are exposed.
    Go Cats!

thank you Great One!

Rupp's Runt

The Moderna booster is kicking my butt. Chills and a low grade fever. No energy or strength. Add to that lack of sleep from the storms. I feel horrible.

Bombino

thank you Great One!
    You were the first person I thought of when I read about it. You have previously mentioned your inability to produce antibodies and this could give you some significant protection.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    The Moderna booster is kicking my butt. Chills and a low grade fever. No energy or strength. Add to that lack of sleep from the storms. I feel horrible.
    It definitely hit me pretty good as well. Not quite as intense as dose 2 but longer induration.

Pedro what is your latest opinion of this variant, is it going to cause more or less concern than Delta?
    Go Cats!

Bombino

General COVID vaccination thread

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Pedro what is your latest opinion of this variant, is it going to cause more or less concern than Delta?
    It's still very early to be certain but the data appears to be a mixed bag:

1. Contagiousness appears to be off the charts, dramatically higher than previous variants. Data out of Ontario is showing an R-value of 4.2. This is several times higher than Delta. In areas where it establishes itself, it rapidly overtakes Delta.
    2. It appears to cause less severe outcomes in adults. To be clear, it still causes hospitalizations and deaths, but at a lower rate. This is still considered tentative as we are still early in outbreaks in fully-developed countries.
    3. Reinfection is about 3x more common than Delta in the previously infected and unvaccinated population but remains relatively rare in the previously infected and then vaccinated population (South Africa has a lot of this).
    4. Pfizer vaccine (2 dose, no previous infection, no booster) effectiveness against hospitalization is around 70%. This is very good news as it indicates those recently boostered are well protected against the most severe outcomes.
    5. Significantly more childhood cases. In particular, notable increase in hospitalizations in children <5. There are some signs that this is a statistical anomaly but only time will tell.
    6. We still aren't sure if Omicron competes with Delta or will exist along side it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 12-14-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Significantly more childhood cases. I'm particular, notable increase in hospitalizations I'm children <5. There are some signs that this is a statistical anomaly.
    I have two girls, ages are 5 and 7. What is everyone's opinion of getting them vaccinated? I've not been willing at all to this point, but I'm now willing to start listening. I guess we are a year into vaccines and they seem mostly safe in the short term. I guess only time can test for long term issues?

Bombino

I have two girls, ages are 5 and 7. What is everyone's opinion of getting them vaccinated? I've not been willing at all to this point, but I'm now willing to start listening. I guess we are a year into vaccines and they seem mostly safe in the short term. I guess only time can test for long term issues?
    If by long-term issues you mean things which aren't seen in the first few days/weeks after injection and only appear after a long time of waiting, those are virtually unheard of with vaccines (of any type). If someone is going to have an adverse reaction from a vaccine, for almost all, it will appear within the first few days to a week after the injection. For the rest, it will occur within the following week or so. I can't think of a single vaccine (of any type) which has caused issues which appeared months after injection. The reason for this is simple. After a week or so, your body has already cleared almost all of the injected material. The only material which remains are the small fragments your immune system has captured and is using to develop the immunity. At that point, those fragments are tightly bound in/on your immune cells and are being actively used to develop your molecular and cellular immunity; there just isn't anything left to cause off-target effects.

Getting back to your original question about recommending for kids. I was asked both by my sister for two of her kids and for my godson and his sister by their parents. In both cases, I recommended the vaccine for their kids and explained the rationale behind it. The reasoning is simple, nothing is risk free (including inaction) and the benefits need to outweigh the risks. For every risk that taking the vaccine possesses, the likelihood of said risk occurring in kids in this age group is higher when they contract COVID.

One thing I did have them do is hold their kids our of sports for the week following injection. This was not done out of anything overtly rational, it was done out of an abundance of caution. Unlike bacterial myocarditis or even viral myocarditis, the vaccine-induced myocarditis appears to be mostly minor and self-resolves in a matter of a few days with no lasting damage. The only risk case being if they engage in high endurance activities which can stress the heart. As such, even though the likelihood of myocarditis is very low and, as such, holding them out of sports is likely way overkill, the cost of them sitting out for a week is very low as well.

Now that 5 million kids in this age group have been fully vaccinated, it appears that the risk assessment at approval was correct, if not overstated the risks. For example, while the trial did not see any cases of myocarditis in the vaccinated cohort, much discussion was had around whether it was because it is more rare or if it was a statistical anomaly. This lead to many quotes which have been cherry-picked talking about safety. The data picture is much more clear now, the dat is strongly pointing to the fact that myocarditis is more notably rare than in the 12-16 cohort.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 12-14-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Rupp's Runt

If by long-term issues you mean
    For future reference, I rarely know what I mean and generally hope the person I am talking to is smarter than I am to figure out what I am talking about LOL

Thank you, I will share this with my wife.

Bombino

For future reference, I rarely know what I mean and generally hope the person I am talking to is smarter than I am to figure out what I am talking about LOL

Thank you, I will share this with my wife.
    HAHA! No problem, if you or she has any questions, feel free to reach out (either in this thread or via PM).

Bombino

Time for some good news:

Pfizer's Phase 2/3 trials for their new oral anti-SARS-CoV-2 medicine showed extremely good efficacy in preventing hospitalization and death in high risk patients. Reducing deaths and hospitalizations by approximately 90%. Only five hospitalizations and ZERO deaths occurred in the cohort receiving the medicine, compared to 44 hospitalizations and 9 deaths in the placebo cohort. In a second trial against standard-risk patients, a similar 89% efficacy against death and 70% reduction in hospitalization was seen. Just as in the high risk trial, in the test compared to 12 deaths in the placebo cohort. Even better, in vitro testing against the 3CL protease found in Omicron showed high-potency, indicating that efficacy is likely not impacted by Omicron.

I don't think I have to explain why this is such a big deal. This has the potential of dramatically change things.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...-study-results
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 12-14-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Pedro, my 21-year old son (well, in one week) is back home for Christmas. He is a soccer player. We were thinking about him getting his booster shot this week, but I've been concerned about the myocarditis issues that randomly occur.

How long would you recommend that he refrain from strenuous activities? Usually when he comes home for Christmas, he takes a short break, then begins training so that when he gets back in January he's not horribly out of shape. It's nothing like "in-season" stuff, but just running, mild weight-lifting, that kind of thing. No playing, unless it's just for fun.

Should he be sedentary for a week following the booster, or just nothing more than mild jogs and such?

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Pedro, my 21-year old son (well, in one week) is back home for Christmas. He is a soccer player. We were thinking about him getting his booster shot this week, but I've been concerned about the myocarditis issues that randomly occur.

How long would you recommend that he refrain from strenuous activities? Usually when he comes home for Christmas, he takes a short break, then begins training so that when he gets back in January he's not horribly out of shape. It's nothing like "in-season" stuff, but just running, mild weight-lifting, that kind of thing. No playing, unless it's just for fun.

Should he be sedentary for a week following the booster, or just nothing more than mild jogs and such?
    Some countries say no exercise at all for 2-3 days and mild/light exercise like light jogging for the following week, others say mild/light jogging for a few days gradually returning to full exercise by the end of the week. In general the common theme is that myocarditis begins showing symptoms in 1-3 days post vaccination (mean time 2 days). As such, if he doesn't have symptoms by then, the likelihood that he will have myocarditis drops dramatically (from an already low number).

Based on this, I'd have him take it cool for 2-3 days with only light jogs. Once that period has passed, he can workup from there, no need to be fully sedentary. It is more important that he is aware of the symptoms of myocarditis and keeps an eye out for them:

• Chest pain
    • Shortness of breath
    • Feelings of having a fast-beating, fluttering, or pounding heart

If he experiences any of these, he should talk with his doctor immediately.

Thanks, sir.

Time for some good news:

Pfizer's Phase 2/3 trials for their new oral anti-SARS-CoV-2 medicine showed extremely good efficacy in preventing hospitalization and death in high risk patients. Reducing deaths and hospitalizations by approximately 90%. Only five hospitalizations and ZERO deaths occurred in the cohort receiving the medicine, compared to 44 hospitalizations and 9 deaths in the placebo cohort. In a second trial against standard-risk patients, a similar 89% efficacy against death and 70% reduction in hospitalization was seen. Just as in the high risk trial, in the test compared to 12 deaths in the placebo cohort. Even better, in vitro testing against the 3CL protease found in Omicron showed high-potency, indicating that efficacy is likely not impacted by Omicron.

I don't think I have to explain why this is such a big deal. This has the potential of dramatically change things.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...-study-results
    That would be a game changer
    Go Cats!

What are the origins of nirmatrelvir, and ritonavir? Are these grown/developed using old fashioned , chicken egg growth method and or, animal cell growth method?

Thanks
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    What are the origins of nirmatrelvir, and ritonavir? Are these grown/developed using old fashioned , chicken egg growth method and or, animal cell growth method?

Thanks
    Nirmatrelvir and Ritonavir are protease inhibitors not vaccines or antibodies. They are chemicals/peptides which inhibit the proteases the virus uses to synthesize its outer envelope. This prevents the formation of viable viral particles, stopping the virus in its tracks. As they are chemicals/peptides, they are chemically synthesized rather than grown.

That being said, they were certainly tested in animal models and potentially in immortal cell lines.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 12-15-2021 at 11:17 AM.

My son is getting his booster and a flu shot as I type...

Bombino

Wonderful! Good luck to him and hope he doesn't feel to bad afterwards!

Nirmatrelvir and Ritonavir are protease inhibitors not vaccines or antibodies. They are chemicals/peptides which inhibit the proteases the virus uses to synthesize its outer envelope. This prevents the formation of viable viral particles, stopping the virus in its tracks. As they are chemicals/peptides, they are chemically synthesized rather than grown.

That being said, they were certainly tested in animal models and potentially in immortal cell lines.
    Thank you muchley. I am sure that info was made apparent and my ignorance led to me not understanding what I was reading.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

My 19 year old son got his Pfizer booster Monday. He spent all day yesterday in bed with what he said was the worst headache of his life then woke up this morning with what the interwebs says is “COVID arm”…the injection site has a small rash and a hard knot under the skin. It’s supposed to go away in a few days but I feel for him because it didn’t have any effect on me except for maybe a little sleepiness. Hope your kid fares better!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Welp…positive. Monoclonal antibodies infusing as I type.

Bombino

Damn, good luck mate!

Good thoughts here for you, bigsky.