Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Rupp's Runt

Re: General COVID vaccination thread

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I think it's going to be really hard to reinstitute a mask requirement, even if it might do some good. I get the sense there's not a public will to return to that.

Perhaps not coincidentally, we're seeing a sudden increase in Covid cases where I work, and where virtually everyone is vaccinated, and there are many of us who have tested negative for Covid but have a lingering upper respiratory thing. I'm on week 2 of mine--no fever, not contagious (I think), but a lingering cough.
    Agreed on the requirement. Even if it is for the better, most are not going to do it at this point. But I do find it very surprising that I am seeing more here in Christian/Muhlenberg.

The college I used to work for is still locking down and spraying rooms. And another utility shut down for a few days. But thankfully I am not hearing of anyone that is really sick.

Note: I keep a cough this time of the year.

Hey Pedro, I have a question. The newest iteration of the Covid MRNA vaccine will be available to me on this coming Tuesday. I was unacceptable to the flu and pneumonia back in 2019 and that put me in the hospital, but have been inoculated against a repeat of those maladies due to vaccination against both those diseases. I also have been affected by circulation issues brought on by smoking cigarettes daily for over 40 years, but that is over with and the vein replacements and stent surgeries have been successful, so I am am pretty darn healthy for a 69 year old. I have experienced issues with my balance for the past couple of years and use a walker and wheelchair, depending on the circumstances, to be able t safely move from point A to point B.

I typed all that to offer perspective for my question which is"""""

What are the benefits if any of being inoculated against the Covid menace for a person like me? I have read lots of crap on different websites, but I do value you knowledge and opinion.

Thanks
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Hey Pedro, I have a question. The newest iteration of the Covid MRNA vaccine will be available to me on this coming Tuesday. I was unacceptable to the flu and pneumonia back in 2019 and that put me in the hospital, but have been inoculated against a repeat of those maladies due to vaccination against both those diseases. I also have been affected by circulation issues brought on by smoking cigarettes daily for over 40 years, but that is over with and the vein replacements and stent surgeries have been successful, so I am am pretty darn healthy for a 69 year old. I have experienced issues with my balance for the past couple of years and use a walker and wheelchair, depending on the circumstances, to be able t safely move from point A to point B.

I typed all that to offer perspective for my question which is"""""

What are the benefits if any of being inoculated against the Covid menace for a person like me? I have read lots of crap on different websites, but I do value you knowledge and opinion.

Thanks
    Hey Dan, sorry for the delayed response. I somehow missed this. First and foremost, I am not a doctor or your doctor, so take my advice with a grain of salt. That being said, based on your description it sounds like you are a HIGH risk for COVID-related complications if you were to contract it.

The wife and I just got COVID again a few weeks ago (literally the weekend that the vaccines became available). As an aside, we were at an outdoor birthday party and were there for only 15min and somehow caught it. At that party, 18 (out of 20-25 people) tested positive within the next 3-4 days. Anyways, this time around, the virus utterly kicked our butts and we are in reasonable shape (my wife is in great shape, myself...ehhh). The thing that stuck out for both of us, compared to the first time we had it (which was much closer to vaccination), is how it very much impacted our breathing. Both my wife and I had points where we would notice our hearts were pounding (heart rates above 120) and we suddenly had to breathe deeply to get our blood oxygen levels back up. This was way worse than the first time we caught the virus, which was a few months after vaccination. I say all this to state that even if you had COVID previously, the next time around might not be the same (especially the farther you get away from vaccination). In my opinion, with your health co-morbidities, getting a booster either with one of the mRNA vaccines or Novavax's protein based vaccine would significantly mitigate your risk.

Rupp's Runt

General COVID vaccination thread

I hope we had it. My girl had “something viral”, then a few days later I was really tired for a few days. A couple of weeks later we started hearing more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedro--if you see this, and not to necessarily sideline the Thread, but do you have any thoughts on the RSV vaccine? I know it's relatively new, so there may not be sufficient data on it, but I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks Pedro. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Another co-worker has it. His wife and daughter as well. Said it is pretty rough.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Pedro--if you see this, and not to necessarily sideline the Thread, but do you have any thoughts on the RSV vaccine? I know it's relatively new, so there may not be sufficient data on it, but I am interested in your thoughts.
    To be honest, I haven't done a lot of research into the RSV vaccine. I know a few people who got it but they also got the Shingles vaccine at the same time and that one kicked their butts.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Another co-worker has it. His wife and daughter as well. Said it is pretty rough.
    I can concur on that one.

Thanks, Pedro.

My wife and I both got the Shingrix vaccine last year/this year (two doses, nearly 6 months apart). First vaccination was fine; second gave us both a very, very sore arm, and some flu-like symptoms for 24-36 hours, I'd say. Super tired, chills, etc.

I probably need to do the Shingrix vaccine. Appears that it gives you the flu (in symptom form), but is effective thereafter. OK, I can live with that, but really don't have time for it right now.

Re the Covid vaccines I'm far less convinced the longer this goes on. Very anecdotal but my wife did the original and I think the 2 boosters thereafter (as did I), and one long term side effect is her skin now bruises exceptionally easily. Never had that before, and now if she mildly hits her arm or leg, etc. it almost immediately has bleeding under the skin.

That's somewhat disturbing for a vaccine. All medicines have potential side effects, but I find that more worrisome in a vaccine.

not that I really want Covid either. It's quite the pickle. Can I thank the Chinese again for this mess? Maybe you shouldn't play with the grown-ups chemistry set if you don't know how to use it safely.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.